• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA Auction: 2015 August 27 - 29 Comics Signature Auction

278 posts in this topic

woah, I'd never seen [David Mandel's] CAF (thanks for sharing). utterly amazing! does anyone else's top that? I wish the wealthy people I know were into such cool stuff, HAH!

Well, Steve Fishler from Metropolis Collectibles had a great one, but it's down now. You'll have to go to their offices in NYC now or watch the

of their NYC gallery.

There are lots and lots really. It just depends on what you like. Pretty much everyone on this thread has a great gallery from my POV.

Just curious but are the non Frazetta pieces for sale in that gallery or are they just there for showcase purposes? Fishler has a great GA Spectre splash page.

Just the art in the Frazetta gallery room is for sale. The rest is Fishler's collection.

The Spectre splash is part of Fishler's personal collection and he is very attached to that piece.

woah, I'd never seen [David Mandel's] CAF (thanks for sharing). utterly amazing! does anyone else's top that? I wish the wealthy people I know were into such cool stuff, HAH!

Well, Steve Fishler from Metropolis Collectibles had a great one, but it's down now. You'll have to go to their offices in NYC now or watch the

of their NYC gallery.

There are lots and lots really. It just depends on what you like. Pretty much everyone on this thread has a great gallery from my POV.

Just curious but are the non Frazetta pieces for sale in that gallery or are they just there for showcase purposes? Fishler has a great GA Spectre splash page.

Just the art in the Frazetta gallery room is for sale. The rest is Fishler's collection.

The Spectre splash is part of Fishler's personal collection and he is very attached to that piece.

Amazingly that splash was an eBay auction sale. I think many of us at the time were in disbelief that a) the auction would run to conclusion and b) it was legit. But it was and seeing it in person makes me regret not bidding higher even more.

of their NYC gallery.

Amazingly that splash was an eBay auction sale. I think many of us at the time were in disbelief that a) the auction would run to conclusion and b) it was legit. But it was and seeing it in person makes me regret not bidding higher even more.

Do u remember the final sale price?

For some reason I happen to find myself in Eric DLS' gallery quite a bit. I think no matter what you like, you can find at least a sampling of it there.

Lots of great stuff there, and it's a bit like a museum/time capsule with almost 100 sold pieces that have scans still up.

of their NYC gallery.

Yeah I figured as much. I remember his CAF notation and how fond of that piece he was. I remember watching it on EBay and I wasn't even sure if it was real but it sure is awesome.

Eelco V's [i think he is a boardie here?] CAF gallery is the stuff of dreams. 50+ pages of Busecma Hulk stuff and 50+ pages of Byrne's stuff. The FF#242 DPS is about as good as it gets. :cloud9:

I drool over his collection frequently :cloud9:

of their NYC gallery.

I think it was $10k-$11k, what a steal.

of their NYC gallery.

I think it was $10k-$11k, what a steal.

Thanks

Scene: a private dining room at the Louis XV Alain Ducasse, Monte Carlo, Monaco

"So, Oleg, I hear business is good?"

(...)

"Oleg, you are indeed a prince among men! I call Vladimir and Anatoly to tell them to meet us there..."

smsc416.gif

Either way $101k including BP is hardly anything special. If "one of the most memorable splash pages of all time" doesn't hit $200k it's a failure in my book. I don't think it will.

I agree. Especially, adjusted for inflation.

Either way $101k including BP is hardly anything special. If "one of the most memorable splash pages of all time" doesn't hit $200k it's a failure in my book. I don't think it will.

I agree. Especially, adjusted for inflation.

The theoretical value should or could be in the $250k range when looking at comparable (incl. inferior pieces with high actualized sales prices) historical precedent, but the harsh reality is that there's not that many collectors out there with that type of money whose willing to spend it on original art, and I think for those who do have the money there's sometimes a stigma to what's considered sort of more "modern" (figuring most who can afford this are folks in their late 40's to 60's) and less "vintage" even though it's over 30 years old who might be more comfortable spending that type of money on material by Kirby or Ditko and/or 1st appearance pages, covers, 'tho this is an iconic DPS from a historic epic storyline.

It's interesting from the sideline view on what this piece will end up at, whether considered a bargain or overpriced. At over $100k, it's already the price of a home in a non-metropolitan area or solid down payment for a house, but for that upper echelon who buy art, I'm sure this has to be seen as an investment more so than just something to add to the collection.