• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA Auction: 2015 August 27 - 29 Comics Signature Auction

278 posts in this topic

It's already at $75k after the 1st day of open bidding...

...but like Baseball, when a player hit's 1 HR on opening day, it doesn't mean he's on pace to end the season with even close to 162 home runs at the end :)

It's very easy to thrill bid up to about these levels. Beyond this, though, you're risking getting stuck with the piece (I do think it will go higher, but we're at least at/near the lower end of the possible range).

Remember when the ASM #300 cover "buyer" reneged, and those who had placed low-to-mid $100Ks (incl. the juice) thrill or tracking underbids thinking they were safe suddenly found themselves thanking their lucky stars that they hadn't gotten stuck with it. lol

That`s nuts, who would do something like that?!

Hugh Jackman? Eminem?

thrill or tracking underbids thinking they were safe suddenly found themselves thanking their lucky stars that they hadn't gotten stuck with it. lol

Luckily with Heritage, all completed auction information is I believe public access, where with Comic Link, you need or needed to be a bidder to be privy to the final cost.

I'd hope it's no fun bidding up a piece based on curiosity and for "discovery", as it's a dangerous game as you'd mentioned in the possibility of getting stuck with the bill for something you don't want or overpaid beyond your budget limits for.

Well IMO this DPS is pretty meh and anything over $100k is crazy unless you already have tons of Bryne pages and want to add this to the collection.

I think the pages are pretty awesome myself and 50k a page does seem a little cheap to me - but I don't pretend to follow the Byrne market.

As the piece sits right now at the current price of $89,625 it is only a mere appreciation of 4.5% compounded since 2003 from the 2003 price of $55,200, which would be a very low return - if bidding were to stall right here.

I think it will ultimately return something greater than 10% compounded when the auction dust settles and closes, but we will see.

I like the DPS although I agree with the price comments. That said Byrne collectors may disagree and its their votes that will count

I like it too even though it isn't an action scene. It is the best Byrne X-Men DPS currently available to purchase.

Hugh Jackman? Eminem?

what have they bid on/bought?

Nothing. The 1st Park's Law is that celebrities aren't allowed to buy anything comic related.

Which somehow ignores Nick Cage, Kevin Smith, and Kirk Hammett :devil:

Hugh Jackman? Eminem?

Nothing. The 1st Park's Law is that celebrities aren't allowed to buy anything comic related.

They aren't celebrities. They are comic book fans first! :)

Don't forget Producer/Director David Mandel whose CAF I love.

Hugh Jackman? Eminem?

(thumbs u

Thank you. Contrary to Tim's constant misrepresentations (re: libel :baiting: ), I have never, ever, ever said that celebrities don't buy comic books or comic art. What I said was that those celebrities and other rich folk, who aren't already into comic book fandom/collecting, do not suddenly feel an overwhelming urge to pay hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars on OA or comics that they have no connection to just because they may have heard about it. A lot of people seem to have watched too much MTV Cribs or something and have developed the thinking that celebs waste money on all sorts of frivolous things, and that comics/OA are so obviously cool that why wouldn't they drop a quarter or a half mill-plus on a piece of OA, or so the theory goes. It's a comic book hobby-centric view of the world that, empirically, bears very little resemblance to the real world.

Hugh Jackman? Eminem?

Don't forget Producer/Director David Mandel whose CAF I love.

woah, I'd never seen his CAF (thanks for sharing). utterly amazing! does anyone else's top that? I wish the wealthy people I know were into such cool stuff, HAH!

It's not the near-rich celebrities you have to worry about Gene, it's the uber-rich Russian oligarchs, remember?

Faberge eggs don't have the appeal they used to.

For those not in on the joke, I'm reposting this from the "Gold Comics" forum (posted when the Action #1 9.0 was being offered for sale and there was all sorts of speculation about which celebrity or billionaire mogul would buy it...of course, it was one of the obvious usual suspect insiders - Metropolis Collectibles - that bought it. As usual):

Remember that many many Russian newly rich buy sports teams, yachts, and so on for millions and millions of dollars just for the fun of it... so having arguably the best graded comic in the industry could be a cool topic for conversation next time they have dinner with peers in Monaco.

:roflmao:

Scene: a private dining room at the Louis XV Alain Ducasse, Monte Carlo, Monaco

"So, Oleg, I hear business is good?"

"Da, Boris, I will be top 20 on Forbes list next year if stock price stay at these levels. And you? How is your wife?"

"Ekaterina is good, but you should see 20-year old I am giving "the business" to! I buy her $12 million pied-a-terre in New York and start new modeling agency to launch her career. How is your football club?"

"We are only in Europa League this season but I am confident of winning championship and qualifying for Champions League next year. I spend 170 million euro in transfer fees this summer, but it will be smart investment."

"170 million euros? That is what I spend on Rothko painting and Giacometti at Christie's sale last month. Wife loves Giacometti in new house in Kensington."

"You know what is really cool, though? New Action 1 comic book I just buy on the eBay. First appearance of Superman, graded nine-point-oh by the Cee-Gee-Cee. 1 of 2 copies in that grade on the Census, but mine has the superior white page quality! I keep in Zurich freeport with my Picassos and original cover art to Hulk #181."

"Oleg - you have done it again, tovarisch! This is why everyone call you `the smartest oligarch...'"

All this and more on the next episode of..."THINGS THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN" .

And...

Two weeks later at a penthouse apartment in London's ultra-exclusive One Hyde Park complex...

"Oleg, what heppened? I read in the Bleeding Cool News that some American nobody win Action number one for only $3.2 million. I say to myself, if somebody pay more than Oleg for this book, it must be Li Ka-Shing or Sultan of Brunei."

"Boris, relax, relax my friend. You don't believe what heppened - because of sanctions due to Ukraine situation, this Auction Cause company doesn't approve me to bid in the eBay auction. So, I have my secretary contact this American comic book dealer to bid on my behalf. I send my son Dmitri and six bodyguards to New York on G5 tomorrow with briefcase full of American dollars. Soon, you see the book here in my flat next to new Jeff Koons "Popeye" sculpture and Ferrari 250 GTO in study downstairs, before I move it to Zurich freeport warehouse."

"Oleg, you have really outdone yourself this time! What is next killing you will make, my friend?"

"Everyone focus on the Superman now but now is time to strike on Detective Comics 27 - Ben Affleck will be best Batman ever and I will make more money on Tec 27 than you did sticking it to Abramovich by fixing Chelsea-Barcelona Champions League semi-final in 2009!"

"How do you do it, Oleg??? Now let's go fly to St. Tropez with our mistresses to celebrate!"

"Your jet or mine, `tovarisch'?"

"I thought Dmitri takes your G5 to New York?"

"Ah, yes, but remember wife get us his-and-hers G6s for our anniversary two years ago. With my money, of course!"

"Oleg, you are indeed a prince among men! I call Vladimir and Anatoly to tell them to meet us there..."

woah, I'd never seen [David Mandel's] CAF (thanks for sharing). utterly amazing! does anyone else's top that? I wish the wealthy people I know were into such cool stuff, HAH!

Well, Steve Fishler from Metropolis Collectibles had a great one, but it's down now. You'll have to go to their offices in NYC now or watch the

of their NYC gallery.

There are lots and lots really. It just depends on what you like. Pretty much everyone on this thread has a great gallery from my POV.

woah, I'd never seen [David Mandel's] CAF (thanks for sharing). utterly amazing! does anyone else's top that? I wish the wealthy people I know were into such cool stuff, HAH!

For some reason I happen to find myself in Eric DLS' gallery quite a bit. I think no matter what you like, you can find at least a sampling of it there.

Well, Steve Fishler from Metropolis Collectibles had a great one, but it's down now. You'll have to go to their offices in NYC now or watch the

of their NYC gallery.

There are lots and lots really. It just depends on what you like. Pretty much everyone on this thread has a great gallery from my POV.

Just curious but are the non Frazetta pieces for sale in that gallery or are they just there for showcase purposes? Fishler has a great GA Spectre splash page.

It's not the near-rich celebrities you have to worry about Gene, it's the uber-rich Russian oligarchs, remember?

Faberge eggs don't have the appeal they used to.

For those not in on the joke, I'm reposting this from the "Gold Comics" forum (posted when the Action #1 9.0 was being offered for sale and there was all sorts of speculation on which celebrity or billionaire mogul would buy it...of course, it was one of the obvious usual suspect insiders - Metropolis Collectibles - that bought it. As usual):

Remember that many many Russian newly rich buy sports teams, yachts, and so on for millions and millions of dollars just for the fun of it... so having arguably the best graded comic in the industry could be a cool topic for conversation next time they have dinner with peers in Monaco.

:roflmao:

Scene: a private dining room at the Louis XV Alain Ducasse, Monte Carlo, Monaco

"So, Oleg, I hear business is good?"

"Da, Boris, I will be top 20 on Forbes list next year if stock price stay at these levels. And you? How is your wife?"

"Ekaterina is good, but you should see 20-year old I am giving "the business" to! I buy her $12 million pied-a-terre in New York and start new modeling agency to launch her career. How is your football club?"

"We are only in Europa League this season but I am confident of winning championship and qualifying for Champions League next year. I spend 170 million euro in transfer fees this summer, but it will be smart investment."

"170 million euros? That is what I spend on Rothko painting and Giacometti at Christie's sale last month. Wife loves Giacometti in new house in Kensington."

"You know what is really cool, though? New Action 1 comic book I just buy on the eBay. First appearance of Superman, graded nine-point-oh by the Cee-Gee-Cee. 1 of 2 copies in that grade on the Census, but mine has the superior white page quality! I keep in Zurich freeport with my Picassos and original cover art to Hulk #181."

"Oleg - you have done it again, tovarisch! This is why everyone call you `the smartest oligarch...'"

All this and more on the next episode of..."THINGS THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN" .

And...

Two weeks later at a penthouse apartment in London's ultra-exclusive One Hyde Park complex...

"Oleg, what heppened? I read in the Bleeding Cool News that some American nobody win Action number one for only $3.2 million. I say to myself, if somebody pay more than Oleg for this book, it must be Li Ka-Shing or Sultan of Brunei."

"Boris, relax, relax my friend. You don't believe what heppened - because of sanctions due to Ukraine situation, this Auction Cause company doesn't approve me to bid in the eBay auction. So, I have my secretary contact this American comic book dealer to bid on my behalf. I send my son Dmitri and six bodyguards to New York on G5 tomorrow with briefcase full of American dollars. Soon, you see the book here in my flat next to new Jeff Koons "Popeye" sculpture and Ferrari 250 GTO in study downstairs, before I move it to Zurich freeport warehouse."

"Oleg, you have really outdone yourself this time! What is next killing you will make, my friend?"

"Everyone focus on the Superman now but now is time to strike on Detective Comics 27 - Ben Affleck will be best Batman ever and I will make more money on Tec 27 than you did sticking it to Abramovich by fixing Chelsea-Barcelona Champions League semi-final in 2009!"

"How do you do it, Oleg??? Now let's go fly to St. Tropez with our mistresses to celebrate!"

"Your jet or mine, `tovarisch'?"

"I thought Dmitri takes your G5 to New York?"

"Ah, yes, but remember wife get us his-and-hers G6s for our anniversary two years ago. With my money, of course!"

"Oleg, you are indeed a prince among men! I call Vladimir and Anatoly to tell them to meet us there..."

I could only read this in a Russian accent. lol