• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA Auction: 2015 August 27 - 29 Comics Signature Auction

278 posts in this topic

The theoretical value should or could be in the $250k range when looking at comparable (incl. inferior pieces with high actualized sales prices) historical precedent

Where this comparison goes wrong is assuming that $55K was FMV back in 2003. I was at the auction in NYC and it was a pretty shocking result at the time. I agree - if $55K was FMV at the time, then marquee pieces since then are largely 5-6x higher in price, if not more. But, I think the reality is that there was a bit of a bidding war and the buyer paid a price that would not be seen as FMV until some years later, and so I think the multiple will be lower.

It's really not that great of a piece IMO. Just a generic team splash with the whole cast in the traditional "Robin corner shock pose." I guess most of the appeal probably comes from the issue number but it's not an iconic part of the story. I mean it's cool but for 6 figures in not impressed.

Okay, so what's the over / under on this piece in Vegas?

a) 125K

b) 150K

c) 175K

d) 200K

e) 225K

something else?

Really depends on whether Hugh Jackman and Samuel Jackson get involved.

It's really not that great of a piece IMO. Just a generic team splash with the whole cast in the traditional "Robin corner shock pose." I guess most of the appeal probably comes from the issue number but it's not an iconic part of the story. I mean it's cool but for 6 figures in not impressed.

It's a double splash from an iconic issue with all of the team. 'Nuff said.

Okay, so what's the over / under on this piece in Vegas?

a) 125K

b) 150K

c) 175K

d) 200K

e) 225K

something else?

Really depends on whether Hugh Jackman and Samuel Jackson get involved.

Don't be sexist; I hear Sophie Turner looks forward to playing Dark Phoenix so much, she's taking her GoT money and puts it into all the UXM 137 Byrne art she can find.

Thats where it comes down to your opinion of the artwork itself. But this page is PURE nostalgia, its a great example from the story almost everyone is shown in this dps, great shots of all the X-Men no one has their backs turned to the readers and the title says it all. If someone wants a page thats encompasses the Phoenix Saga this is one of the best.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice rendering of the team and it's certainly big, but it doesn't have a whole lot to do with what makes 137 a key book, and clearly that number is what's being used to hype the splash.

No action and no Phoenix (or Dark Phoenix for that matter) keeps it from being a really definitive piece IMO and that's what will hold it back from hitting some of the more gaudy numbers dropped in this thread.

" it doesn't have a whole lot to do with what makes 137 a key book"

Not sure what book you read but it has everything to do with what makes 137 a key book. Ya Jean isn't in her Phoenix costume but the issue isn't about the Phoenix, its about Jean Grey, her decision and the X-Men who will defend her against an empire. She will sacrifice herself to save the universe, and in this scene she is surrounded by her friends as they are beamed into the heart of enemy territory. The quiet moments like this are just as important as the battle to come.

Just comes down to this page isn't for you. Sounds like you have zero nostalgia for it, but many others have a different view.

" it doesn't have a whole lot to do with what makes 137 a key book"

Not sure what book you read but it has everything to do with what makes 137 a key book. Ya Jean isn't in her Phoenix costume but the issue isn't about the Phoenix, its about Jean Grey, her decision and the X-Men who will defend her against an empire. She will sacrifice herself to save the universe, and in this scene she is surrounded by her friends as they are beamed into the heart of enemy territory. The quiet moments like this are just as important as the battle to come.

Just comes down to this page isn't for you. Sounds like you have zero nostalgia for it, but many others have a different view.

+1

The page definitely has the nostalgia factor going for it but so does pretty much every Bryne series (FF, Cap, Avengers, X-men, etc) from this era. I grew up on this stuff and I just love it but you can buy some pretty sweet JB action pages for $10k-$30k so anything over $100k for this DPS seems to be a smashing success IMO. However, I'm not sure I would spend that much for it. It will be fun to see where it lands but I hope it's not the next McFarlane like gross over payment of recent years.

I would like to chime in the debate on the UXM 137 DPS. First off, I think it is a stunning piece. Granted, no Phoenix, but all other XM are costumed and the layout, backgrounds and inks are just amazing.

As to FMV, I think one should also look at the price of the page from the same issue with Phoenix and Cyclops that went for USD 67k three years ago, if memory serves. Multiply times three to go from page to double splash, deduct 10-20 per cent because no Phoenix (but you get Wolverine) and I think 150k is absolutely justifiable, IMHO.