• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA Auction: 2015 August 27 - 29 Comics Signature Auction

278 posts in this topic

Anyone pick up the Clowes splash for 2200.00? Jeez wish I was home

Interesting result, but, what I really want to know is who picked up the X-Men #137 DPS. Here are my best guesses:

Eminem has spent some $ on a high grade ASM 129, and a certain drummer from a famous band has dropped over 6 figures on comics in a single order..

that I know about. I'm sure there isn't any bleed through.. but who knows? :D

After an auction where I didn't win anything I like to at least read people's thoughts on what surprised them...

I sold a Bolton Kull page last big HA auction that went for $3.6K - I was a bit upset that they put it in the back of the catalog but the price was on target.

I was surprised to see it listed again - they put it in the front section - this time...only $2.2K (lot 92022) - I was the underbidder.

Otherwise seemed like a pretty strong auction for most of what I was following

I had a similar thought, prices pretty strong across the stuff I was watching. Some of the pieces that caught my attention include

Beware the Creeper #2 cover, just north of $38k, pretty strong for a 2nd level Ditko title but a very nice image

Famous Monsters #13 cover painting. I liked the abstract look of the piece but over $15k :o

Spectre 6 cover, seemed a little cheap at just over $9k but bit of a goofy cover.

Hulk 371 splash. I really wasn't sure how high this one would but at about $3.8k, seems like a pretty good deal for the buyer.

Daredevil #15 panel seemed cheap for a Romita, only $6.2k

Batman fan,

I liked that Gogos painting. A bit small for my taste on a painted work but cool. Speaking of dimensions, I've never owned any Crumb but reading the descriptions they seem small too and the Eggs pages were on "sketchbook paper"... ugh. I wonder what that's like in real life when not prettied up by heritage. Anyone have any comment?

Just got back from vacay so I was only able to watch some of the auction and have now reviewed. Pieces that caught my own eye in both comics and art were

- Action 23 8.5 @ 65k... I guess first Luthor IS a huge deal.. how did I not clue in when it was far cheaper doh!

- looney Tunes 1 9.0 @ 18k - I haven't looked at GPA but that seems like a pretty strong result? I know these are first appearances in comics but these characters were around before that. What would a #2 fetch, 10% of this? Just strikes me as a on overvalued book?

- marvel 1 4.0 @68 k... nice to see the book coming back a little from the deep low it was at

- MMC 46 - classic green hitler cover but 23k for a VF-? Yikes. It may be classic but it isn't cheap! What would a 9.4 go for?

- Punch 12 - nearly 30k for a 7.5? Wow, some huge numbers for classic cover books. In fairness I personally prefer this cover to suspense 3. Really cool cover but otherwise a nothing book

- superman 1 1.8 light conservation signed by creators - 31k. One of the few big books that seemed cheap to me

- weird mysteries 5 8.0 @ 18k - price made me look twice but this is the high census copy of arguably the best PCH book so actually I kinda get it

- fantastic four 1 - 5.0 - 11k. Haven't checked GPA but I see a 4.5 sold for half six months ago. I bought a 4.5 copy with a vintage Stan sit a year or so ago... double the price for a .5 increase is either a jump or an outlier

- phantom stranger 11 covers - came with two boards. One almost all art (some elements unpublished/changed) , one almost all stat (the published cover). I personally viewed the two boards as a considerable negative but perhaps people liked it for resale? Thoughts?

- cockrum xmen 98 page 15.5k - no xmen in costume but wonderful sentinels panel. Still with no heroes I expected a lot less. Thoughts?

- frazetta plate - 40k - wasn't a fan of this one. Price seemed reflective

- frazeta painting 90k - I thought this was not a great frazetta either so I thought the price solid.

- frazetta John carter painted prelim 6k - is it just me or is the market for frazetta prelims down a fair bit? Crazy doodles and pencil sketches used to sometimes get this much... this is a very good prelim IMO (relative) and would have netted more in the past. Is the availability of fraz finals driving down prelim prices?

- new gods 4 and eternals 14 (hulk battle) covers, 40k and 20k. I didn't think the one was twice the price of the other. Whether that makes the hulk low or the new gods high Im not sure. Thoughts?

- Laird Raphael 1985 unpubbed illo - 2k - I thought this indicated a slight preference for early Laird over early Eastman? I think people prefer Eastman but it's way more available than Laird

- Shuster war bond illo - passed at 12k. Thought the reserve was too high and should have been more like 7500. Thoughts?

- snatch 1 small double page (7 by 9collectively so basically two 4.5 by 6.5 drawings) - love the illo but so tiny for 23k. Interesting to note that it sold for more than the Eggs Ackley splashes

most of the early crumb art is small and on sketch paper, pretty standard. I believe that the snatch 1 actually sold for more some years ago, i think its in the heritage archives. Crumb was very soft this auction IMO.....and i wish i was more aggressive in my bidding.He is not only one of the most important and influential comic artists after '65 he's had a huge influence on art during that period.

Yeah I get all that and the original is the original but it being tiny makes me want it less 2c whether that's standard for the artist or not. There's a tipping point at which I find originals too small to really enjoy.... if I ordered a steak at a restaurant and it came to the table and was 3 ounces... I'd be left wanting more no matter how good that 3 oz was.

Thx for the note about the prior sale of this piece I will check that out

one of my fave Dark Knight pages, if only :tonofbricks:

at this price I think I know whose gallery it will be turning up in

Don't know who you think it was, but can say that the winning bid came from Japan. Great page. Sorry you didn't win, but sounds like you did more than OK otherwise!

Just getting caught up on some threads. Congrats to all the winners!

Don't know who you think it was, but can say that the winning bid came from Japan.

Cheeky bugger! :applause:

So it wasn't Oleg but Hiro?

You'll need to update your screenplay. :baiting:

Don't know who you think it was, but can say that the winning bid came from Japan.

That was for the DKR page, not the X137 DPS...Oleg doesn't go for 5-figure pieces. (:

That was for the DKR page, not the X137 DPS...Oleg doesn't go for 5-figure pieces. (:

lol