• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA Auction: 2015 August 27 - 29 Comics Signature Auction

278 posts in this topic

Someone took a bath on the Bill Ward Overstreet #8 cover. I'm very nostalgic for that piece but I was shocked that it sold for close to 23k eight years ago. That seems a bit high considering what you could have purchased with that amount in 2007. Though it sold for $15,000 ($17,925 w/BP), that is still pricey IMHO.

Someone took a bath on the Bill Ward Overstreet #8 cover. I'm very nostalgic for that piece but I was shocked that it sold for close to 23k eight years ago. That seems a bit high considering what you could have purchased with that amount in 2007. Though it sold for $15,000 ($17,925 w/BP), that is still pricey IMHO.

I remember carrying that guide around like it was the bible

memmmmorriesss

Agree on all counts

I remember carrying that guide around like it was the bible

memmmmorriesss

Me too. I think I memorized practically everything about that book when I was 9 years old. I had one of the high bids on it before it went live, but obviously, I was blown out of the water. lol

That was my second guide. Mom and dad were probably wondering how we went from Barks Porky Pig to Ward's torpedo boobs and heels. lol

Thats hilarious !

I never thought about that but Porky Pig with his Canadian Mounty hat was my first guide too

Blown away on the Lee Weeks DD cover.

me too, which is why I stopped bidding :sorry:

Never bid but since I have a Lee Weeks DD splash I infer that mine is worth a lot too :P

Malvin

Only if it has the Punisher on it. :baiting:

Nice New Teen Titans cover Rob! I bet it will look great in person with the colors. What did you think of the price on the FF 184 page with the great Impossible Man images? I didn't go for it, but I was watching it with interest. Best, Lee

Thanks, Lee! i know that a lot of people are really nostalgic about the Impossible Man and that is a mighty fine book with excellent Perez/Sinnott art but i think that 4k+ for that piece could be on the higher side of market value......... but congratulations to both the seller and new owner of the piece.

Thanks for sharing your opinion Rob! I think FF 184 is the best-looking Perez/Sinnott FF book from their entire run. This page had some killer Impy images. I didn't win the page, but I extend my hearty congratulations to the seller and the winning bidder. Best, Lee

Well IMO this DPS is pretty meh and anything over $100k is crazy unless you already have tons of Bryne pages and want to add this to the collection.

I think the pages are pretty awesome myself and 50k a page does seem a little cheap to me - but I don't pretend to follow the Byrne market.

As the piece sits right now at the current price of $89,625 it is only a mere appreciation of 4.5% compounded since 2003 from the 2003 price of $55,200, which would be a very low return - if bidding were to stall right here.

I think it will ultimately return something greater than 10% compounded when the auction dust settles and closes, but we will see.

Final rate calculation comes in at 9.7% compounded growth over the intervening 12 years.

Blown away on the Lee Weeks DD cover.

me too, which is why I stopped bidding :sorry:

Never bid but since I have a Lee Weeks DD splash I infer that mine is worth a lot too :P

Malvin

Only if it has the Punisher on it. :baiting:

Ha ha, its all about ratio! :) Mine is a fraction of the cover and the lack of punisher was taken into account in the valuation :)

Malvin

Ha ha, its all about ratio! :) Mine is a fraction of the cover and the lack of punisher was taken into account in the valuation :)

Malvin

In all seriousness, the Punisher appearance probably accounted for a good 80-85% of the valuation of this DD #293 cover. It's a very memorable cover because of the Punisher appearance...I mean, how much would the DD #294 cover go for...it probably would be lucky to get $2K!! :doh:

Well IMO this DPS is pretty meh and anything over $100k is crazy unless you already have tons of Bryne pages and want to add this to the collection.

I think the pages are pretty awesome myself and 50k a page does seem a little cheap to me - but I don't pretend to follow the Byrne market.

As the piece sits right now at the current price of $89,625 it is only a mere appreciation of 4.5% compounded since 2003 from the 2003 price of $55,200, which would be a very low return - if bidding were to stall right here.

I think it will ultimately return something greater than 10% compounded when the auction dust settles and closes, but we will see.

Final rate calculation comes in at 9.7% compounded growth over the intervening 12 years.

Wouldn't the stock market be better over the same period? Not as fun obviously.

Malvin

In all seriousness, the Punisher appearance probably accounted for a good 80-85% of the valuation of this DD #293 cover. It's a very memorable cover because of the Punisher appearance...I mean, how much would the DD #294 cover go for...it probably would be lucky to get $2K!! :doh:

I respectfully disagree. But then again, I'm not exactly impartial. :)

Malvin

Wouldn't the stock market be better over the same period? Not as fun obviously.

The total return of the SPY (SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust), including reinvested dividends, since March 8, 2003, is 9.3% compounded (8.5% without dividend reinvestment).

That said, the return of the X137 DPS doesn't include whatever commission Heritage is taking out of the back end. Assuming no seller's commission and a 5% BP rebate, that would bring the CAGR down from 9.7% to 8.5%. Most other blue chip Marvel art has appreciated more than that since 2003, because it was starting from a lower base and was less fully valued than the X137 was when it sold for $55.2K (very much an outlier at the time). The lesson of course being that future returns are dependent on starting valuation. This piece tripled over the course of a dozen years; pieces that were not as richly valued are up even more. I would estimate that Ditko ASM pages are probably up 5-6x on average since 2003, for example.

One other thing should be noted as well, that there were two owners of the X137 DPS over the past 12 years. It was not just one person who owned it the whole time.

Thanks for sharing your opinion Rob! I think FF 184 is the best-looking Perez/Sinnott FF book from their entire run. This page had some killer Impy images. I didn't win the page, but I extend my hearty congratulations to the seller and the winning bidder. Best, Lee

This was in my Top 2 for this auction but I went 0/2

I don't think there a ton of Impy collectors but it only takes a few!

Mark