• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA Auction: 2015 August 27 - 29 Comics Signature Auction

278 posts in this topic

Wow, the X-Men #137 double-page splash is back after 12 years:

John Byrne and Terry Austin - Uncanny X-Men #137 pp. 2-3

should I buy it?

Yes - I'd love to see it in person :D

I've had the pleasure of seeing this DPS in person -- pretty sure it was just before it switched hands the last time -- and it was all I could do to keep from drooling all over it and completely devaluing it. It's simply magnficent -- the height of Byrne/Austin's run on the X-MEN, IMHO.

Good luck to the deep-pocketed collector who winds up with this.

What's the estimated guesstimate winning bid?

Does $250k sound within the realm of reasonability?

That depends...are we talking US or New Zealand dollars?

That depends...are we talking US or New Zealand dollars?

Neither we're talking Russian rubles. Though US dollars would be nice also.

The auction is now live. Price discovery on the UXM 137 dps is off to a good start -- $55,000 ($65,725 w/bp) (as a reminder, the pages sold for $55,200 w/bp 12 years ago).

My memory must be failing me. I thought that I saw this DPS sell in 2005 at the Heritage Live Auction in NYC with my wife. I could have sworn it was 2005 not 2003 as I didnt meet my wife until 2005. Maybe it was another girl I was with at the time in 2003 :(

The auction is now live. Price discovery on the UXM 137 dps is off to a good start -- $55,000 ($65,725 w/bp) (as a reminder, the pages sold for $55,200 w/bp 12 years ago).

My memory must be failing me. I thought that I saw this DPS sell in 2005 at the Heritage Live Auction in NYC with my wife. I could have sworn it was 2005 not 2003 as I didnt meet my wife until 2005. Maybe it was another girl I was with at the time in 2003 :(

You might NOT want to ask her to find out for sure.

Your memory is failing you and it wasn't your wife. :)

The Uncanny X-Men DPS closed on 8 March 2003 for $55,200.

That sounds like the realm of madness to me lol

It's already at $75k after the 1st day of open bidding...

...but like Baseball, when a player hit's 1 HR on opening day, it doesn't mean he's on pace to end the season with even close to 162 home runs at the end :)

You might NOT want to ask her to find out for sure.

Agreed !

...but like Baseball, when a player hit's 1 HR on opening day, it doesn't mean he's on pace to end the season with even close to 162 home runs at the end :)

It's very easy to thrill bid up to about these levels. Beyond this, though, you're risking getting stuck with the piece (I do think it will go higher, but we're at least at/near the lower end of the possible range).

Remember when the ASM #300 cover "buyer" reneged, and those who had placed low-to-mid $100Ks (incl. the juice) thrill or tracking underbids thinking they were safe suddenly found themselves thanking their lucky stars that they hadn't gotten stuck with it. lol

It's very easy to thrill bid up to about these levels. Beyond this, though, you're risking getting stuck with the piece (I do think it will go higher, but we're at least at/near the lower end of the possible range).

Remember when the ASM #300 cover "buyer" reneged, and those who had placed low-to-mid $100Ks (incl. the juice) thrill or tracking underbids thinking they were safe suddenly found themselves thanking their lucky stars that they hadn't gotten stuck with it. lol

One should never go drinking with art collectors in the UK when Heritage opens, especially with 3 Byrne collectors together....

That`s nuts, who would do something like that?!