• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, I need some advice regarding my comic theft - UPDATE : CAUGHT!

209 posts in this topic

First, a few things since my initial post...

1. On the 17th I noticed an ad on Craigslist with a picture of one of my books. They were listed for sale with a phone number.

2. I immediately called the police and an officer came to the house shortly afterward. I detailed the situation, showed her not only the ad with the one comic pictured but also my own scan of the comic. I pointed out the defects that matched up in both photos AND a picture from the guy I bought the book from originally. There was a large number written in marker on the outside of the bag it was in...a number that was still on the same bag in the thief's picture.

3. She shook her head at the stupidity of the perp, took down all my information as well as a copy I made her of a list of all the books that were stolen with their numeric grades. I write the grades down in marker on the lower back corners of the bags. I showed her examples of how I do this so she had yet another item of proof that they were mine.

4. She said she was going to try and "buy" the books and when the guy showed up for the meet at least get him for possession of stolen property. She said she had to go back to the station to get her gear off so that when she called him her radio wouldn't accidentally "go off" in the middle of the call and tip her hand.

5. She gave me her card with her name, badge number and my case number on it so I could call and get any updates if she didn't call me back the next day.

Well, it's been 10 days and here's what I've got - no less than THREE messages left for her & her precinct head asking for an update, the thief's ad STILL up on Craigslist, and a text message exchange between me & the thief from 6pm tonight confirming that he not only still has the books but "...would you like to meet tomorrow to take a look at them?"

So...what should I do? I obviously can't get anyone from the police to help me. The woman officer who came here obviously doesn't give two *spoons* about this robbery given how easy it would be to get things resolved, nor does the department itself given the messages left both by me and by the dispatcher on the phone to have someone get in touch with me for an update of any kind.

What should I do?

A letter to the mayor's office has worked for me. Wish I was near you Chip I'd get your books back.

Maybe a news station would be interested in doing a story, showing up buying the books then confronting the thief then confronting the officer and her boss. Dude would then be identified and cops forced to act. Another black eye for the department.

Worth a call. I've seen stories on doorstop mail thefts before and nothing as juicy as this.

Another thing I have done to get the police to act is call them and inform them you are going to do a citizens arrest as is your right and are requesting the police be on the scene to take the suspect into custody.

Try going to the police station in person.

Yup.

Unbelievable that nobody has followed up.

I'd escalate it to a superior. This is not good press for the PD.

This is such shoddy police work-for all she knows his house could be full of stolen property and she could clear many crimes in one swoop, make the news and boost her career. Make the dept look good for cleaning up a crime wave.

But nah.

I wish i was a cop.

Try going to the police station in person.

Yup.

Unbelievable that nobody has followed up.

I'd escalate it to a superior. This is not good press for the PD.

I've gone up the line of superiors until something happened-then all the spoon rolled straight downhill on the inactive dolts. Very satisfying.

Maybe call her daily pleading with her to act as she promised. Record those messages and more fodder for the news/superiors.

You can also call the non emergency number and ask how you make a complaint about inaction on a crime you've reported and suspect identified.

Maybe a news station would be interested in doing a story, showing up buying the books then confronting the thief then confronting the officer and her boss. Dude would then be identified and cops forced to act. Another black eye for the department.

Worth a call. I've seen stories on doorstop mail thefts before and nothing as juicy as this.

I think this is solid advice, Kav. Call your local station and ask for the assignment/news desk.

Do not try to do it yourself. You know nothing about this person or what he is capable of. I agree that you should go to the department itself and ask to talk to detectives. Patrol Officers are not going to do any type of operation like that, it will come from somewhere else. Not to be a stickler, but it was a theft not a robbery. You could also try contacting investigators from the USPS.

As I said, I had to expensive books stolen from my doorstep so I completely sympathize with you and hope you get them back and the guy arrested.

Depending on city and type of porch it may be classified as a burglary.

I think this is solid advice, Kav. Call your local station and ask for the assignment/news desk.

Pitch the story. Make it sound juicy.

you can also pose as a buyer just to get pics of the guy surreptitiously and license # for identification.

If he sells the books and pulls the ad your job will be near impossible.

Make sure you pitch the story on a slow news day. If there's some huge fire or something they wont even want to talk to you. Thats the news biz.

My personal experience with a comic book burglary was that the police regarded it as a minor matter. I had a substantial number of Golden Age books stolen. The books included some keys like a Flash #1, More Fun #52 and up to #73, a Detective #38, and a lot more. At the time, probably $75,000 in comics. With the way More Fun #73 has exploded recently, probably a lot more now.

The general attitude I got from the police was a "what's the big deal" vibe. They're just comics. Go to the comic shop and buy some new ones.

Thankfully, I knew the commander of one of Nashville's precincts, a cop that was a finalist for our next chief of police. When I called him and asked for help, within an hour, I had calls from the lead detective of the robbery division, numerous sergeants, the pawn shop squad, etc.

If you can get to someone at a higher level, you've got a better chance that action will be taken. It might also be prudent to contact your city council member or the mayor's office and ask for their assistance in motivating the police.

Just as an FYI, the gentleman that burglarized my home was caught (actually, he was already in jail for something else when they identified him), was convicted, and sentenced to 26 years. He could be out in 8 years with good behavior.