• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, I need some advice regarding my comic theft - UPDATE : CAUGHT!

209 posts in this topic

That's all fine and dandy except if he's been into MMA (or other) all his life and kicks your and your friend's teeth in. And that's if your lucky. If you're unlucky he might just pull out a 9mm and empty it out.

Yup. If the persons that did this are brazen enough to steal mail in broad daylight then one thing you can count on is that they will continue to act like criminals.

I have been following this loosely since the thread started and one thing I can tell you is that persistence pays off. As far as the police are concerned the are doing their job and whether you feel neglected by them is IMO based on the fact that they are buried up their ears in criminals. Yes; go to the police station, yes; talk to as many officers up the chain of command as you can. Emphasize the $value of the books because that will at least be an excuse for your persistence. Remember when you contact them , they were not wronged ; you were.

This reminds me of when my grandmothers house was robbed. It was in the day time but no one saw anything. She was bitter about it till the day she died and just could not believe that someone could be big and strong enough to walk out her house with "that big heavy safe". Every one thought it was her neighbor. Well long story short she could have been more persistent about following it up but hey what is an 80 year old lady supposed to do?

Due process and due diligence in the future.I hope you get your books back.

Becoming an MMA style fighter takes discipline and focus. A sneak thief being some great fighter is very improbable.

In the original thread you said the amount that was stolen was about $500.

You have a wife

You have a daughter.

$500 is worth that much to jeopardize your family's long term health?

You do not even know if the person that is advertising them is the one that stole them. They could have bought them at a flea market last weekend or early Saturday and decided to flip them. They could be friends with the person who stole them.

So, even having thoughts about taking matters into your own hands against someone who may not have had anything to do with the initial theft is careless and foolish, it is reckless.

I cannot believe that some need to be reminded about this.

That's all fine and dandy except if he's been into MMA (or other) all his life and kicks your and your friend's teeth in. And that's if your lucky. If you're unlucky he might just pull out a 9mm and empty it out.

This was more so the point I was trying to emphasize.

You have a wife

You have a daughter.

You do not even know if the person that is advertising them is the one that stole them. They could have bought them at a flea market last weekend or early Saturday and decided to flip them. They could be friends with the person who stole them.

So, even having thoughts about taking matters into your own hands against someone who may not have had anything to do with the initial theft is careless and foolish, it is reckless.

Very good points

You have a wife

You have a daughter.

Very good points

Buzzetta's "reality checks"… :cloud9:

Pretty good points here, especially if we consider the seller could have bought the books from a flea market or so…

Becoming an MMA style fighter takes discipline and focus. A sneak thief being some great fighter is very improbable.

How about carrying a gun and willing to use it. Does that take discipline and focus? Stop giving him bad advice. Doing it yourself is the worst possible thing you can do here.

Okay guys, hold up. I may want to crack his skull but in no way would I actually do that. I'm the sole bread winner in this household and I have three people (including my daughter) depending on me. I don't have to be "advised" or "reminded" about it like I'm some eediot.

I'm heading to the police station tomorrow morning to see if I can speak to someone in charge and find out why this hasn't been addressed.

Also, as an FYI the ad was placed within 24 hours of the books being taken. No way did the "seller" purchase them from somewhere else.

Chip- I wouldn't leave until you spoke with a supervisor in person. Then I'd come back, in person, the following day. Make yourself a nuisance.

Unfortunately $500 is chump change to the police. I got in a car accident in the city and was taken to the hospital from the scene. My truck got towed and impounded. Needless to say, around $600 worth of stuff got stolen. Police didn't care.

Good luck.

Chip- I wouldn't leave until you spoke with a supervisor in person. Then I'd come back, in person, the following day. Make yourself a nuisance.

Unfortunately $500 is chump change to the police. I got in a car accident in the city and was taken to the hospital from the scene. My truck got towed and impounded. Needless to say, around $600 worth of stuff got stolen. Police didn't care.

Good luck.

I doubt it is so much not caring, as it is prioritizing. A lot of places don't even have the time to investigate fraud involving a hundred thousand dollars, because there are so many in that occur in the millions.

Okay guys, hold up. I may want to crack his skull but in no way would I actually do that. I'm the sole bread winner in this household and I have three people (including my daughter) depending on me. I don't have to be "advised" or "reminded" about it like I'm some eediot.

I'm heading to the police station tomorrow morning to see if I can speak to someone in charge and find out why this hasn't been addressed.

Also, as an FYI the ad was placed within 24 hours of the books being taken. No way did the "seller" purchase them from somewhere else.

If after speaking with "someone in charge" at the police station doesn't result in action, my wife (yes, I ask her advice about local government issues, etc.), seems to think you are represented by a county council and there maybe an "Ombudsman" who would be willing to hear your concern and following up with the paper, local tv, etc. "ain't" necessarily a bad idea either.

Once I was a victim of fraud and the police weren't interested so I went to the District Attorney's office and filed a complaint direct and this worked for me. I'm not an expert but I believe if the DAs office tells the police to arrest someone they have to. I could be wrong. Just think it might be worth looking into.

If after speaking with "someone in charge" at the police station doesn't result in action, my wife (yes, I ask her advice about local government issues, etc.), seems to think you are represented by a county council and there maybe an "Ombudsman" who would be willing to hear your concern and following up with the paper, local tv, etc. "ain't" necessarily a bad idea either.

Correction, given Kav's message, the "Ombudsman" is likely in the DA's office.

Once I was a victim of fraud and the police weren't interested so I went to the District Attorney's office and filed a complaint direct and this worked for me. I'm not an expert but I believe if the DAs office tells the police to arrest someone they have to. I could be wrong. Just think it might be worth looking into.

You are not allowed to give legal advice anymore! (tsk)

First, it would depend on what state you live in. In some common law states, you can go right to magistrate and file a complaint and they will issue a warrant directly if they feel a crime was committed. In other states, the police have to present the case and the City Attorney (misdemeanors) or District Attorneys (felony) offices will decide if there is enough to issue a warrant for arrest. Issuing a warrant means at some point the person will most likely be arrested (maybe), but thats not the same as telling the police to go pick up this guy right now.

One thing you are missing in either case is they can only issue a warrant if they know who the person is. He doesnt know who the person is yet remember?

I think Chip has gotten some good advice from several people here (even if some of it offended him), and it appears he is doing the right thing by just going there tomorrow. Having your comics stolen, even those worth money is not the crime of the century no matter how much it sucks. I never heard anything back from my theft report and dont expect too. At Chip has a lead to his suspect which hopefully they follow up on tomorrow. :wishluck: