• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, I need some advice regarding my comic theft - UPDATE : CAUGHT!

209 posts in this topic

Would a call to the Mayors office help?

Sometimes a call from City Hall to a precinct works wonders (not an expert on US policing matters FYI).

Good Luck Chip.

As these were in Priority Mail boxes, with labels that had already been paid for, I'd think this qualifies as Mail theft. Have you tried calling the local Mail Inspectors? Seems like catching people that are robbing mail is right in their wheelhouse. The thieves didn't know if that was mailed that was delivered or mail waiting to be picked up.

As these were in Priority Mail boxes, with labels that had already been paid for, I'd think this qualifies as Mail theft. Have you tried calling the local Mail Inspectors? Seems like catching people that are robbing mail is right in their wheelhouse. The thieves didn't know if that was mailed that was delivered or mail waiting to be picked up.

This is pretty good advice.

Just got back from the police station. The lieutenant was nice enough to come out and speak with me for a good 15 minutes about my case. He's doing some follow-up work on it today and he's sending an e-mail to the officer and her sergeant about following up on it. He asked me to text the guy again today and see if he responded. He did and I called the lieutenant back and told him, so hopefully they'll set up some sort of meeting today where they can grab him.

I'm happy that things are moving...now all that's left is to catch the scumbag.

Just got back from the police station. The lieutenant was nice enough to come out and speak with me for a good 15 minutes about my case. He's doing some follow-up work on it today and he's sending an e-mail to the officer and her sergeant about following up on it. He asked me to text the guy again today and see if he responded. He did and I called the lieutenant back and told him, so hopefully they'll set up some sort of meeting today where they can grab him.

:headbang:

Nice! Good to see some progress. Hopefully everything works out and you get all of your comics back. :wishluck:

Hey Chip, I hope you get the books back and the guy gets caught -- but I'm curious how the police will be able to "prove" that this guy is actually the person who stole the comics. I know they were posted online the same day or day after they were taken, but I would think it's going to be hard for them to tie him to the actual theft, unless he flat out admits it. Curious to see how this all plays out, and hoping for the best! :wishluck:

Even if they can't prove he stole them, the books themselves are stolen property and need to be returned. It's a dealers nightmare. You buy books that turn out to be stolen. you lose the books and the cash you paid for them.

Even if they can't nail the guy for the theft, they can get him for receiving stolen goods, which isn't that much better.

Glad to see you're making progress. Hope you get your books back. Though downside is that the dude knows where you live in the future if he was the one that took the package & that you have or sometimes have valuable property in your house. Might be about time to make sure the security system is working.

Yes possession of stolen property is enough. Cops and legislators are smart enough to know that every thief is going to claim 'some guy sold this to me'. That doesn't fly.

Unknown right now. The police asked me to set up a meeting with him and last night he texted me his home address, which I promptly relayed to the police. We'll see if I hear anything today, but I'm hopeful. He's close by, which makes sense.

The books are BACK! :)

Detectives showed up at the guy's house today. He tried to tell them his girlfriend got him the comics and when they asked him for his ID he tried to escape through another door of the house! The cop had to wrestle him to the ground (she said she broke a nail...lol) and he's now sitting in jail. Scumbag.

Apparently he has a couple other warrants out for his arrest, so I've done a good deed in pursuing this to the end.

The detective said the court date will be probably in mid-to-late August and that I'll get a summons in the mail.

Some people (including a couple boardies) have been very nice and patient about all this and have waited to see how things shake out, so I'm very happy to be able to deliver the books they paid for.