• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoned Age comix appreciation thread

300 posts in this topic

Freak Brothers 5, first printing. Contains "Grass Roots", one of the Pantheon of comic book stories. I was 12 when this book came out - to say it was eye-opening was an understatement. Grass Roots is incredible, absolutely over the top stuff, the high point of the series. I would pay a lot for a copy of the back cover poster (which can't be shown here for naked guy and dancing naked lady reasons).

freakbrothers5.jpg

The Collected Adventures of Harold Hedd, first printing (Canadian release). Tabloid sized issue that was folded. 95% of the copies existing are folded. Created by Rand Holmes and published in beautiful Vancouver, BC, this is wacky stuff. I cannot find my copy of Harold Hedd 2, which is equally cool. Sorry for the [#@$%!!!] up scan, I can't knit here - maybe somebody could and send it to me.

haroldheddtop.jpg

haroldheddbottom.jpg

Junkwaffel 4 by Bode, the "Sex" issue, first printing from Print Mint. Has a Jeff Jones/Bode back cover. Includes the "Collectors Portfolio on Tibbets Tong" - again, the blotter paper is next to the drawing board.

junkwaffel4.jpg

FD - I recall all too will reading my old Freak Bros. comix in a cloud of THC. My original set got pretty hashed from re-reading them in High School. Fortunately in 1980 I scored a box of over 100 high grade 1968-1974 undergrounds for $75. No Plymel Zap or Tales from the Ozone #, but alot of first pressings including a FB#1(posted below) through #3. I was able to give away my old set. Thanks for posting the Canadian Harold Hedd #1 - the first one I've seen. Did you see the Comic Art Magazine that reproduced a bunch of Rand Holmes covers for the Georgia Straight UG newspaper?

731705-fb1.jpg

731705-fb1.jpg.676cf32513f210cf74559f5b03b8e324.jpg

Before it was printed by Print Mint, Shelton published this edition of Feds 'N' Heads out of Austin in 1968. This is the first time the Freak Brothers appeared in a comic book. The Austin edition has one page different than the Print Mint editions - an Oat Willie page swapped for somthing else, or the other way round, I forget, and am too lazy to check. The back cover also has a different color scheme than later editions.

731710-fnh.jpg

731710-fnh.jpg.4e206cca4ecc56e5f1e5c5f8bdd31904.jpg

Dude, you sold your undergrounds! There is alot I'd get rid of before that happens.

Although when I see the prices some of these books fetch, especially those that have been reprinted it does make me go 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Then I take a few books out of the box to look at and I know that it would be screwy.gif to get rid of them.

Good score BassGMan - I got $40 in trade for my extra VG/F copy at a NY comic shop nearly 20 years ago. This was when Harvey Pekar was showing up on Letterman and had just achieved cult status. So I'd say $50 for a NM copy today is an excellent deal! thumbsup2.gif