• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoned Age comix appreciation thread

300 posts in this topic

Thanks. Here are a few more recent arrivals:

Gory Stories Quarterly 2½ (1972) First Printing - Includes contributions from Robert Crumb, John Pound and Scott Shaw:

ug0007.jpg

Funny Aminals (we've seen it already, but I'm so pleased with it cloud9.gif):

fa.jpg

I'd owned a copy of Funny Aminals for years before I realized it wasn't called Funny Animals.

Here is a book I cross posted on another thread - Mr. A #1 from 1973. An objectivist libertarian hero created by Ditko, whio originally appeared in Witzend I think. I don't know if it's rightfully an underground, though it's lack of a listing in the OSPG would indicate it is. I'm sure if it were reprinted today, it would aquire a listing.

786653-mra1.jpg

786653-mra1.jpg.8bd279019062a33c8daf815e33a0e524.jpg

The second issue from 1975 - the D.4.under the price refers to the fact that it was the fourth in a series of Ditko books which included not only Mr. A. #1 but Avenging World and Wha?.... as well.

786656-mra2.jpg

786656-mra2.jpg.f8335f136437f7d437b03958f0965e3a.jpg

Guess who jes signed up fer Photobucket?? Woop Woop! No longer on the sidelines, but in the game.... All the best fellow UGerz, J

My Freak Bros #2 PINK PGS

freakbros2_pink.jpg

My Yellow Dog #18 PINK PGS (odd bird)

yellowdog18_pink.jpg

Recently sold this bk on Ebay (~$50) great CRUMB CVR

1st Harvey Pekar in comics and Death of Fritz the Cat

8c_3.jpg

Great books guys, never seen those Mr A's before....nice thumbsup2.gif. Question for my fellow UG'ers; I'm thinking of submitting some high grade UG's to either CGC or PGX but first wanted to ask whether collectors have confidence in the ability of 3rd party grading companies to correctly identify and disclose print runs (its seems comixwiz has stopped submitting and I'm curious as to why collectors might be disuaded from doing so)?!!!

New arrival:

nandp2.jpg

Comicwiz was deliberating on this very point on a few other message boards. There are pros and cons to both companies frankly, and there is also the timing on the new Guide (will it standardized printings etc.). I can tell you that both companies reference Kennedy (1982) and online sources such as the Visual Guide to UG COMIX (google= "ug comix"), so as far as your printing research agrees w/ either/both of them...

Here are some of those other posts... thumbsup2.gif Justin

I'm think of submitting some books (Comicwiz)

Question for PGX (Comicwiz)

OK-here's a thing I've seen on Freak brothers #1 that someone might shed lite on.

I was told by a friend that collects UG's that you can tell the true 1st printing by looking at the tire on the cover under the stairs-one is drawn black and one is a whitewall. Don't recall which is which is the true First printing...-but thought I saw 2 different ones in these posts. Any comments?

Going by the criteria listed in the Kennedy guide and UGComix.info the copy in my post is a first printing. By the same criteria the copy posted by Flying Donut is likely a 4th, 5th or 6th printing.

OK-here's a thing I've seen on Freak brothers #1 that someone might shed lite on. I was told by a friend that collects UG's that you can tell the true 1st printing by looking at the tire on the cover under the stairs-one is drawn black and one is a whitewall. Don't recall which is which is the true First printing...-but thought I saw 2 different ones in these posts. Any comments?

This book confuses me b/c it is one place where Kennedy and the UG Visual Guide seem to disagree… for example:

I believe there is a growing movement that both “black tire printings” (no stars bk cvr) are considered 1st prints: W/ Orange (1st print-1st state); NO Orange (1st print, 2nd state; formerly Kennedy 2nd?). Similarly, Weist (2000) identifies 50-cent "black-dark-grey...solid color" tire printings as being first prints. UG Visual Guide lists one printing (formerly Kennedy 1st? and 2nd?) and there is a quote at their site attributed to Kennedy, which states "Since my guide was published, I learned that both black tire printings [orange, no orange] were done at the same time. The printer ganged up two covers to a sheet. So both are 1st, just two versions." I have also heard that the 'error' causing the offset was corrected mid-print run and printing resumed. Don Donahue has stated (pers. communication) that there were two 'states' of the first printing and implied that the movement to designate the orange as a true 1st was largely collector driven.

EggsAckley’s example Highest Graded CGC 9.0 (shown below) is a black tire printing (no orange), which CGC—by not citing the printing—has graded a 1st print. Similarly, rjpb’s copy is also a first print according to CGC, while Flying Donut’s is not.

cgc9.jpg

All that being said, ComicsPriceGuide lists the No Orange as a 2nd printing, more in line with Kennedy and Comicwiz has informed me that the NEW HippyComix Guide will likely do the same. I cannot speak for how PGX would grade the two “black tire” printings. So if you are considering sending that book in for slabbin’, definitely send it to CGC. Hope this helps, J