• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoned Age comix appreciation thread

300 posts in this topic

Last Gasp just put out the latest issue of Zap Comics last week, which just happens to star Wonder Warthog in what I believe to be another Gilbert Shelton masterpiece. A great contemporary underground strip. It also has a nice piece by Crumb about his brother Charles. I highly reccomend picking one up... if you're over 18 of course!

http://www.lastgasp.com/d/25396/

Thanks for the info wbd- I'll have to go to Meltdown and pick it up. My LCS here in Studio City, while a great place, doesn't carry alot of the more offbeat and foriegn comics I like.

Comicwiz - thanks for posting, I hope you have time in the future to post a few scans.

I realize your timeline is only meant to be basic, but you should probably change the Wonder Wart-Hog date to 1961 or 1962, as Gilbert Shelton in a CJ interview stated his first appearance was in the first issue of Bachannal from 3/62, and Bill Killeen in the issue of Charalatan I posted writes that Shelton created him in Dec. of 61, which would correspond with a march 62 cover date if Bachannal follwed the usual practice of cover dating 3 months ahead.

Norrin,

Go to ripoffpress.com and click on Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.They have a couple collections and recent printings of Freak Bros. #1-13 in stock.

The Freak Brothers is by far my favorite underground. A history of drug use is not even required grin.gif

but preferred.

Current use is "highly" recommended. Right Supa? grin.gif

Comicwiz - thanks for posting, I hope you have time in the future to post a few scans.

I realize your timeline is only meant to be basic, but you should probably change the Wonder Wart-Hog date to 1961 or 1962, as Gilbert Shelton in a CJ interview stated his first appearance was in the first issue of Bachannal from 3/62, and Bill Killeen in the issue of Charalatan I posted writes that Shelton created him in Dec. of 61, which would correspond with a march 62 cover date if Bachannal follwed the usual practice of cover dating 3 months ahead.

Thanks for the info rjpb! I've passed this on to Dan Fogel to follow-up with Gilbert Shelton. It turns out we needed to contact Gilbert Shelton on a few other matters, so I've asked that this be looked into for the sake of accuracy. Its this sort of clarification that will seperate the new UG Guide apart from anything thats ever been published before -- in this case, clarification on Wonder Warthogs actual first appearance is the kind of information that may well find its way onto the pages of the new UG Guide thumbsup2.gif

And speaking of the new Underground Guide... you can download your pre-order form here

Fandango

I hate to put you on the spot here, but my curiousity has gotten the best of me; where did this pedigree designation come from that you speak about, especially when it pertains to UG's, and do you know of any? I've heard the term loosely used with mainstream, and in many cases rather inappropriately, but in the last month, your comment is the second time I've heard the term used with UG's.

I have seen Heritage use the designation of "File Copy" (which I don't entirely agree with) in the descriptions of certain books it offers through auction, and have also seen CGC note it on a few books that have ended-up on Heritages site (specifically when they sold off lots of Don Schenkers books, and when Don Donahue himself rifled out a few of his own prime books from the Apex backstock), and I've heard of the IRS collection (which is a decent mid-grade run at best), but never really heard of pedigreed designation used with UG's.

BTW: Great books by everyone! Just my luck that when a good UG thread is finally started on these boards, I'm up to my neck in work frustrated.gif

That's a stunning NM copy -- looks to be a 3rd print.

The mini-formatted comix are a lot tougher to find in high-grade than most people think. The first print is nearly a ghost issue, as I've only ever seen 3 copies in my lifetime (my own, one on heritage, and another recently on eBay graded by PGX) and only 4 appear on the CGC census.

Comicwiz

Mine was a question born out of curiosity; surely there already exists a collection out there worthy of a pedigree status that contains a fair sprinkling of UG's confused-smiley-013.gif? Anyone?

Mine was a question born out of curiosity; surely there already exists a collection out there worthy of a pedigree status that contains a fair sprinkling of UG's confused-smiley-013.gif? Anyone?

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/forum2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18862

I did some research for this thread... sources are Heritage (in all but one case) and Pedigree Comics yeahok.gif

Known Pedigree Comix

Comix Book #2 Massachusetts CGC 9.8 $200

Kurtzman Komix #1 Kurtzman File Copy CGC 8.0 $72.00

**Non-ZAP Donahue File Copies**

Bijou Funnies #1 2nd Donahue File Copy CGC 9.4 $150

Black And White Comics #nn Donahue File Copy CGC 9.8 $356.50

Funny Aminals #1 Donahue File Copy CGC 9.0 $120.75

(bleep) Comics #1 Donahue File Copy CGC 9.6 $500

Jiz Comics #nn Donahue File Copy CGC 9.9 $1,700

Mr. Natural #1 2nd Donahue File Copy CGC 9.6 $235.75

Snatch Comics #1 3rd Donahue File Copy CGC 9.8 $120.75-$299.00 (1)

Snatch Comics #2 4th Donahue File Copy CGC 9.8 $120.75-$299.00

Snatch Comics #3 Donahue File Copy CGC 9.9 $1,200

Snatch Comics #3 Donahue File Copy CGC 9.8 $700(2)

Your Hytone Comix #nn Donahue File Copy CGC 9.4 $72.45

**ZAP COMIX Donahue/Schenker File Copies**

Zap Comix #0 Donahue File Copy CGC NM+ 9.6 $2,800

Zap Comix #0 Yellow variant; Schenker File Copy CGC 8.0 $1,400

Zap Comix #0, File copy (slight stain) CGC 9.2 $1,730

Zap Comix #1 2nd Donahue File Copy CGC 9.4 $660

Zap Comix #2, Schenker File copy CGC 9.2 $1,400

Zap Comix #3 Schenker File Copy CGC 9.4 $720

Zap Comix #4 File Copy CGC 9.6 $750

Zap Comix 7 (mini) Donahue File Copy NM $78.20 **only ungraded sold as File Copy

Zap #8 Schenker File Copy CGC 9.2 $40

**Fred Todd (Rip Off Press) File Copies**; raw w/ signed COA

Air Pirates Funnies #1 Fred Todd File Copy CGC 9.4 $1,207.50

Air Pirates Funnies #2, Fred Todd File Copy CGC 9.2 $603.75

Baron Von Mabel's Back Packing - Softcover - Fred Todd File Copy NM $16.00

Feelgood Funnies #1 Fred Todd File Copy CGC 9.6 $460.00

Forty Year Old Hippie Catalog #1 Fred Todd File Copy FN/VF $13.00

Freak Brothers #1 (1991) Fred Todd File Copy NM $26.00

Freak Brothers #1 9th Fred Todd File Copy CGC 8.5 Pink pages $264.50

Exile Into Consciousness Limited Edition - Fred Todd File Copy $63.25

Mother's Oats #3 Fred Todd File Copy VF $28.00

Mother's Oats #3 Fred Todd File Copy, Signed NM- $103.50

People's Comics nn Fred Todd File Copy NM $24.00

Pro Junior #1 Fred Todd File Copy NM $42.00

Radical America V3#1 Fred Todd File Copy VF $75

Radical America V3#1 Fred Todd File Copy, Signed VF- $70

Short Order Comix #2 Fred Todd File Copy NM- $17.00

Skull Comics #1 Fred Todd File Copy VF/NM $44.00

Slow Death #1 Fred Todd File Copy FN+ $17.00

Turned On Cuties #nn Fred Todd File Copy NM- $23.00

Testosterone City nn 2nd Fred Todd File Copy NM- $17.00

Weird Fantasies #1 Fred Todd File Copy FN- $11.00

Wonder Wart-Hog and the Battle of the Titans #nn Fred Todd File Copy NM $14.00[/size=1]

**IRS Collection**[/b]; raw w/ COA

Bizarre Sex #9 5th IRS; VF- $5

Funny Aminals nn IRS; F/VF $28

Yellow Dog #18; IRS; VG-F $10

Yellow Dog #20; IRS; VG $10

Vaughn Bode Diary Sketchbook #1; IRS; NM $10[/size=1]