• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When looking for a GA mega-key do you....

20 posts in this topic

take what you can find? Or hold out for the right copy to come along. Reason I ask is Im in the hunt for a copy of Batman 1 and I know if two raw copies available, both with restoration/conservation to varying degrees. Im not big on reatoration on any of my books but in a situation like this and given the scarcity of the book do you take what you can find or keep hunting for the copy that more suits your collecting tastes.

With Batman 1 isn't it really about budget? What you want to spend and what you can get for your budget. There seem to be a fair amount of copies that come to market. There are six on eBay (four restored, one incomplete, one universal SS signed by Robinson) right now and they don't seem that rare on the auction sites.

Fairly easy book to track down. I'd also wait for the right copy, but the only downfall about waiting sometimes is what if the book goes up in value again, then now you would have to spend more than what it was priced before in the same grade.

Fairly easy book to track down. I'd also wait for the right copy, but the only downfall about waiting sometimes is what if the book goes up in value again, then now you would have to spend more than what it was priced before in the same grade.

+1

Budget for this book is in the 40-50K range. That would eliminate a couple of the offerings on Ebay and constrains the search a bit. Complete copies only, including no trimmed copies. SS series is not my thing. There is a 2.5 blue label in the Sept CC auction but it has an enormous moisture stain both front and back, a 1.5 with brittle pages on a Buy it now priced at $37K.

You use the term "right copy." So with that being said, are you focused on eye appeal, page quality, etc., or something different? (shrug)

All of the above plus within price range (thumbs u

Since I have a Bats 1, I don't consider the book all that scarce. Demand is very high, so you will be competing with many other buyers for the 'right copy," One of the best strategies is to let others do the looking for you. Ben aka Primetime, Jeff aka nearmint, Rick aka GAtor, Adam aka Filter81, or Bunky Brian can help you find the right copy. These guys in the GA forum know where all the Bats 1 are hiding. In this hunting game, it is who you know. The day of $10k Bats 1 has passed. The auction route may get you a nice copy, but there will certainly be plenty of bidders on a nice looking copy, including some of the GA boardies.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Since I have a Bats 1, I don't consider the book all that scarce. Demand is very high, so you will be competing with many other buyers for the 'right copy," One of the best strategies is to let others do the looking for you. Ben aka Primetime, Jeff aka nearmint, Rick aka GAtor, Adam aka Filter81, or Bunky Brian can help you find the right copy. These guys in the GA forum know where all the Bats 1 are hiding. In this hunting game, it is who you know. The day of $10k Bats 1 has passed. The auction route may get you a nice copy, but there will certainly be plenty of bidders on a nice looking copy, including some of the GA boardies.

Well, I think the nice thing to do would be for other boardies to let me get the book as cheap as possible. :wishluck:

Well, I think the nice thing to do would be for other boardies to let me get the book as cheap as possible. :wishluck:

I wouldn't even know if boardies who have a copy for sale would discount a Bat 1 let alone any major key book because they know that someday they will get their price.

I wouldn't even know if boardies who have a copy for sale would discount a Bat 1 let alone any major key book because they know that someday they will get their price.

My previous post was meant in a very tongue-in-cheek manner. Yes, I will most likely pay a premium and will need to wait to find the right copy.

I saw a CGC 2.0 blue label sell last year on eBay for $33k I believe, so my guess would be you could swing a 2.5 or 3.0 blue in that price range you listed, however, if the book has nice eye appeal, it will probably be more.

Like all good bats, they're hiding in caves! You city kids! doh!

My previous post was meant in a very tongue-in-cheek manner. Yes, I will most likely pay a premium and will need to wait to find the right copy.

Hope you find a copy soon for a reasonable price (thumbs u

This is a very interesting question and something I have been considering a lot lately (albeit with lesser books). Any book, that is reasonably scarce, could potentially be impacted by a host of different factors in the current market insanity. Obviously things like movies, tv, wave of new collectors/investors etc.

With this in mind, it would almost seem like it would benefit a buyer most to purchase a scarce book at almost any grade and trade up later. In which case, at least the market fluctuations would impact the lower grade book (not necessarily to the same extent) as well as the higher grade copies......you are still "putting your money to work" in the market as opposed to letting it sit.

With Bats 1, sales data seems to indicate that it's going in the direction of 20k/point if not there already. So if we were to see that escalate to 25k/point, etc you would still be reaping the benefits of a bump on a 2.0 copy in the same way you would a 4.0 copy and that would get you all the closer to your goal.

All that being said.. I'm a newbie and I'm asking this for feedback as much as I am throwing my thoughts out there. Be really curious to hear what other more experienced board members have to say about it.

This is a very interesting question and something I have been considering a lot lately (albeit with lesser books). Any book, that is reasonably scarce, could potentially be impacted by a host of different factors in the current market insanity. Obviously things like movies, tv, wave of new collectors/investors etc.

With this in mind, it would almost seem like it would benefit a buyer most to purchase a scarce book at almost any grade and trade up later. In which case, at least the market fluctuations would impact the lower grade book (not necessarily to the same extent) as well as the higher grade copies......you are still "putting your money to work" in the market as opposed to letting it sit.

With Bats 1, sales data seems to indicate that it's going in the direction of 20k/point if not there already. So if we were to see that escalate to 25k/point, etc you would still be reaping the benefits of a bump on a 2.0 copy in the same way you would a 4.0 copy and that would get you all the closer to your goal.

All that being said.. I'm a newbie and I'm asking this for feedback as much as I am throwing my thoughts out there. Be really curious to hear what other more experienced board members have to say about it.

I agree 100% its like buying a starter home, building equity, than selling and trading up to a larger home,

BB

A friend of mine recently bought a very nice blue label 3.0 for $52.5k, so you can certainly get a nice copy in your price range. This book is also plentiful relative to other GA keys, so in this particular case I would lean towards waiting for the "right" copy. For rarer books, I would be more flexible in terms of the copy I am looking for - but not desperate.

I always want the highest grade / best eye appeal I can afford, but I am also willing to make concessions based on rarity and price. At the end of the day, I know which types of books I can accept, and which ones will bother me, so there's no point in buying a copy that won't scratch the itch UNLESS it's bought solely for investment.