• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Modern Comic Grail?
2 2

323 posts in this topic

It's not a modern book, but close enough. I waited for 6 years for CGC to finally grade a 9.8 of this book, and by the time they did, I think the first copy sold for like $3K. I got this one instead, and now I can rest. :)

9D112FB5-98F4-4476-9FBB-D03CFCD4DD75.jpg

Here are my top Modern Comic Grails! :headbang: Only Mouse Guard #1 Comixpress version & Dead @17 B & W continue to elude me thus far. :(:wishluck:

<a  href=MLPFIM_zps2b694989.jpg' alt='MLPFIM_zps2

Is this yours? Having a 1/1 of anything is impressive. If it's not yours, good luck finding a the copy.

Very nice! Congrats! :applause:

What is the difference between this book and the version with the black costume Spider-Man head? Is the black version the newsstand? hm

Nope. Mine is a first print direct edition. Black head is a third print usually put in bagged 3-packs. First print newsstand is just a barcode. A second printing is not thought to exist. It's a mystery unsolved.

Edited by Dungeon 2.0

Here are my top Modern Comic Grails! :headbang: Only Mouse Guard #1 Comixpress version & Dead @17 B & W continue to elude me thus far. :(:wishluck:

1 of anything is impressive. If it

If the "1 of 1" is the basis of bragging rights, most comic collectors should shift towards original art... owning the true original production piece where only one exists as opposed to something that is mass produced like a comic book regardless of the scarcity of a CGC 9.8, 9.9 or 10.0, nothing trumps owning the actual original artwork.

It's not a modern book, but close enough. I waited for 6 years for CGC to finally grade a 9.8 of this book, and by the time they did, I think the first copy sold for like $3K. I got this one instead, and now I can rest. :)

9D112FB5-98F4-4476-9FBB-D03CFCD4DD75.jpg

oqi144.jpg

If the "1 of 1" is the basis of bragging rights, most comic collectors should shift towards original art... owning the true original production piece where only one exists as opposed to something that is mass produced like a comic book regardless of the scarcity of a CGC 9.8, 9.9 or 10.0, nothing trumps owning the actual original artwork.

:gossip: I think the OA sold for less in the same auction, if I read it correctly?

I hope they mention it's a 3rd print, even though the CGC label doesn't mention it. And if anyone can find a true copper grail, or unicorn, or hens teeth, it would be finding a legit 2nd printing. There are people who will pay a boatload of money for a copy, assuming one exists.

I hope they mention it's a 3rd print, even though the CGC label doesn't mention it. And if anyone can find a true copper grail, or unicorn, or hens teeth, it would be finding a legit 2nd printing. There are people who will pay a boatload of money for a copy, assuming one exists.

Well if there is a third print, logic would be that there is a second print.

Well if there is a third print, logic would be that there is a second print.

You would think so, right? But there's never been a single example found of a copy with "second printing" on it. It goes from first printings, straight into the black spider heads that say "third printing" on the inside. Nobody has solved the mystery yet.

Yeah it's all mine buddy! :)

I like how it has 'Only 1 copy exists' on the label! (thumbs u MLP:FIM is IDW's biggest sellers to date as well. :grin:

I like how it has 'Only 1 copy exists' on the label! (thumbs u MLP:FIM is IDW's biggest sellers to date as well. :grin:

You paid $6,572.50 for that...??!!!! Woowzers.

As Jay said, the proceeds went to charity. And maybe he bought it for his kid? Or maybe he likes owning something nobody else has, or won't have, as long as he keeps it?

Hope this is not another case of "what I collect rules, and what you collect sucks?"

One thing that does bother me is that it's a 9.6. They made a single copy of this book, and they couldn't even take care of it enough to get at least a 9.8? Was Moe, Larry, or Curley manning the press that day?

Edited by Dungeon 2.0

You paid $6,572.50 for that...??!!!! Woowzers.

As Jay said, the proceeds went to charity. And maybe he bought it for his kid? Or maybe he likes owning something nobody else has, or won't have, as long as he keeps it?

Hope this is not another case of "what I collect rules, and what you collect sucks?"

I bought it for a good cause as you stated. The marketing and PR for the sale of this book through HA was unprecedented. (thumbs u

I also like owning unique & low print variants/comic books. With this book, I know I have the only one. :headbang: I passed on the OA because to me if no other books were gonna be made, the OA was not more sought after than the book itself. 2c That's probably why the book out sold the OA too. (shrug)

Also, The 12 MLP:FIM #12 variant copies celebrating the selling of 1 million MLP:FIM comic books consistently sell for $3K or more when they come to market. So I have no doubt that if I sold my 'Only 1 copy exits' MLP:FIM #12 variant that I would recoup my monies and probably more. After all, there are plenty of Bronies out there that would love to own it, that's another reason the hammer price finished as high as it did. (thumbs u

The My Little Pony franchise has been around for over 30+ years and I don't see them going anywhere no time soon. ;)