• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists charging at cons

145 posts in this topic

If artists did the same thing with their young fans, then it would leave a positive lasting impression and life long fans.

Many of them do. Quite a few transformer artists don't charge kids and even Kevin Eastman doesn't charge little children with there books and many times we hand out backing boards at conventions to kids so they can get head sketches and such on them for free. Heck last few shows I bring a box of TMNT books that I get for cheap or even a FCBD book to have Kevin sign so we can hand out to kids when Kevin is off at a panel and such. Started that up at Amazing Arizona and even last time we did it at Amazing Las Vegas and plan to do it everywhere else we go from now on. Got to meet some awesome kid who's name was actually Thor rocking a Mohawk during that show.

If artists did the same thing with their young fans, then it would leave a positive lasting impression and life long fans.

Many of them do. Quite a few transformer artists don't charge kids and even Kevin Eastman doesn't charge little children with there books and many times we hand out backing boards at conventions to kids so they can get head sketches and such on them for free. Heck last few shows I bring a box of TMNT books that I get for cheap or even a FCBD book to have Kevin sign so we can hand out to kids when Kevin is off at a panel and such. Started that up at Amazing Arizona and even last time we did it at Amazing Las Vegas and plan to do it everywhere else we go from now on. Got to meet some awesome kid who's name was actually Thor rocking a Mohawk during that show.

Now he will have a fan for life, who will always hold him up in high esteem.

So comic creators and baseball players should charge for their autographs but only to a certain amount unless they personalize in which case those should be free?

^^ Only way to guarantee a true fan is not penalized by those who are in the hobby just for the money.

Huh?

So, if you don't get your comic personalized, you're not a "true fan"?

I had nothing to do with the book....why would I want my name on it? (The exception would be Hulk #393, which I DID have something to do with, or GL Vol 2 #19, JLE #40, or Action Comics #677.)

Before eBay and CGC, did comic artists or writers charge for autographs or quick sketches at cons? I think the majority started when they saw people flipping them online for something they did out of the goodness of their heart or saw it online that night.

Nobody should be doing anything "out of the goodness of their heart" for strangers, and then get upset when it turns out that the recipient didn't behave the way they expected.

If you're doing something "out of the goodness of your heart", that is its own reward. Your gift is not negated by the actions of the recipient, unless your "gift" wasn't really a gift in the first place.

And no, I'm not saying artists shouldn't charge. They should charge whatever they want, from $0 to $10,000 or more. But that phrase...."whatever they want"....that's the key phrase, right there.

Hama used to do his sketches for kids for free until one day he saw one of his sketches in the trash. People didn't understand they had something special since then he charges a small fee.

What about True Fans that don't like their books personalized?

Yeah I'm with you on that. Every comic book (and poster for that matter) that I get signed I don't want personalized, but I have no intention of selling them unless I do so to buy other books. I just like the cleaner look. I get head shots of actors and trades personalized, but otherwise unless it's inside the book, I prefer the clean look.

I know for myself I don't want the personalization because if something happens to me I want my family to be able to sell my stuff and get as much as possible. As far as actors are concerned I ask them to put their characters name underneath them they played or if it is a film poster I ask if they can put a quote like Barry Bostwick put Dammit Janet ! above his signature and Brad and individual_without_enough_empathy below. Something that may make the signature a little more attractive