• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists charging at cons

145 posts in this topic

I think this thread is tacky and should be taken down.

Signature Series is a classy program. The last thing we need is a thread in here with people complaining about artists charging.

If you are a facilitator- you know the prices from either talking with another facilitator, from your last show or from talking to Mike B.

If you are a fan at a con- you find out from Mike B. or the CGC booth when you go to get a witness if a creator charges.

If you are a fan at home- email or message your facilitator privately to discuss cost options.

CGC- any thread specifically mentioning creators and costs without their specific approval is a bad idea for the Signature Series reputation...Especially followed by complaints or debate. Let's stay classy Sarasota

:) See ya!

I've got to disagree with you. Free flow of information.is important in continuing to grow and strengthen the program. Discussion should remain respectful, but it has been. If creators don't want their policies discussed, then maybe it is something they should reconsider. Censorship is rarely the best course.

Signature Series is a classy program. The last thing we need is a thread in here with people complaining about artists charging.

If you are a facilitator- you know the prices from either talking with another facilitator, from your last show or from talking to Mike B.

If you are a fan at a con- you find out from Mike B. or the CGC booth when you go to get a witness if a creator charges.

If you are a fan at home- email or message your facilitator privately to discuss cost options.

CGC- any thread specifically mentioning creators and costs without their specific approval is a bad idea for the Signature Series reputation...Especially followed by complaints or debate. Let's stay classy Sarasota

I've got to disagree with you. Free flow of information.is important in continuing to grow and strengthen the program. Discussion should remain respectful, but it has been. If creators don't want their policies discussed, then maybe it is something they should reconsider. Censorship is rarely the best course.

Agreed. Feedback plays a role. I often see someone say "artists' can charge whatever they want. If you don't like it then don't pay it"

Ok. I've been asked by a couple artists for feedback on their prices. If the goal of any artist is to make some money at cons and they're priced out of market then why wouldn't I offer some feedback? What if the artist can't afford the next con because they made no money at the last one.

I prefer to look at the SS program as including the creators that choose to be involved. The best course of action always includes good communication.

I can say that I intend to talk to Tony Moore the next time I see him. I think it's important that he is aware of the amount of books not being signed because of the price. I don't know if it will do anything but why wouldn't I share the information? How would I know that Tony appears to be leaving quite a bit of money on the table without a thread like this? There is a balance that allows the artists, facilitators and flippers to survive.

:blush:

And the collectors although, in my experience, they tend to pay a little more per book. I would guess that the volume money is with the facilitators and flippers.

^^^^

Some of us collect raw & like to know what to expect in advance.

A forum to discuss everything to do with collecting CGC Signature Series books and unwitnessed signatures.

Why should prices be some huge secret?

As for artists that charge kids, some do, some don't. Most though don't from personal experience.

Like you said, though, most aren't charging adults either.

A majority of artists still sign free, especially if you collect raw.

"Family book" artists are generally among them. I collect "Archie" & I, as an adult, haven't been charged for an autograph yet. Several even included free sketches I didn't ask for.

Miraclemet hit that nail on the head, I think:

the artists I go up to and buy from are usually different than the artists we go up to that my daughter wants to meet (MPL artists, artists for kid lines, etc)

I'm sorry for starting that in the first place. I shouldn't have commented.

ETA:

Agreed. Feedback plays a role. I often see someone say "artists' can charge whatever they want. If you don't like it then don't pay it"

Ok. I've been asked by a couple artists for feedback on their prices. If the goal of any artist is to make some money at cons and they're priced out of market then why wouldn't I offer some feedback? What if the artist can't afford the next con because they made no money at the last one.

This.

Artists can't read minds. They won't know the difference not buying due to cost & not buying due to lack of interest, and if they assume the latter, we all lose.

So what does Michael Golden charge for raw?

Again:

depends if the agent is there or not...and in some cases what you're getting signed. You should email Renee Witterstaetter to ask about rates.

As stated, it often varies by con.

Zeck & Golden are Renee's, so I'd email her & ask.

eta: beat to it

I prefer to look at the SS program as including the creators that choose to be involved. The best course of action always includes good communication.

I can say that I intend to talk to Tony Moore the next time I see him. I think it's important that he is aware of the amount of books not being signed because of the price. I don't know if it will do anything but why wouldn't I share the information? How would I know that Tony appears to be leaving quite a bit of money on the table without a thread like this?

And, whether some know it or not, many creators want to know about issues fans may have, and care about how fans perceive them. They'd rather know if there were fans who didn't like the way things were being handled, and some of them definitely want to understand just what it is the program is actually about.

Respect, as always, is a two-way street. Censoring discussion doesn't foster mutual respect.

I would question the motives of those who say "don't talk about it, just shut up and pay."

That was an attitude that the publishers had for several decades: "you don't need to know how your books are selling. It's none of your business. This is what we're paying you, take it or leave it."

And we all know how that turned out.

Talking things out, working out issues...that's how things become, and remain, a positive experience for all involved.

There is a balance that allows the artists, facilitators and flippers to survive.

Lest we forget, the ultimate consumer of these products is the collector. Not everyone is a "flipper", and, perhaps, not even most of them. Without collectors buying and doing SS books, NONE OF THEM would get done....that means no SS money for the creators, no SS money for CGC, and certainly no money for facilitators and "flippers."

It is most certainly in CGC's best interests to foster and encourage open communication with all involved.

The market supported $250 for a Frank Frazetta signature. It does not support $20 for a Rob Liefeld signature on a 9.2 copy of New Mutants #91. Maybe if someone explained that to Rob, he wouldn't charge that. Maybe he would. But at least he'd be operating from a position of knowledge, rather than just assuming that everyone doing CGC is "flipping for profit."

Those people who wanted to get New Mutants #91 done...and vast swaths of other books that aren't New Mutants #98, Walking Dead #1, and ASM #300...have already been priced out of the market.

And creators don't really understand that. How, then, can they, if talking about it is forbidden?

Makes no sense.

I would question the motives of those who say "don't talk about it, just shut up and pay."

If that was what NYComics said, I'd understand. I'd disagree, but I'd understand.

However, in my opinion, they said something far worse. They essentially infantilized the artists.

They believe that the artists are so fragile that they can't handle having their autograph prices posted publicly. Not even a critique, but just a price list.

They also don't seem to think the artists capable of telling people their prices, as, even at the con, where you can just walk up to the artist, they say you should learn of signing fees from the CGC.

That attitude, in my opinion, from a facilitator no less, does more harm to the SS image than the rest of this thread ever could.

i love bernie wrightson because he never charges for his sigs. i had emailed mike zeck before heroes con to find out prices and he said $10 for sig $50 for a remarked head sketch. when i got there for him to do the remark he said he couldnt because he had so many sketches from the day before and he tried to finish them that night but couldnt. i should have probably gone to the con on the first day but oh well.

If that was what NYComics said, I'd understand. I'd disagree, but I'd understand.

However, in my opinion, they said something far worse. They essentially infantilized the artists.

They believe that the artists are so fragile that they can't handle having their autograph prices posted publicly. Not even a critique, but just a price list.

They also don't seem to think the artists capable of telling people their prices, as, even at the con, where you can just walk up to the artist, they say you should learn of signing fees from the CGC.

That attitude, in my opinion, from a facilitator no less, does more harm to the SS image than the rest of this thread ever could.

Lighten up, Francis.

Hey wait, I thought Thursday was the new Friday. Is Friday night the new Friday?

Feels like Thursday.

MUST be Thursday. I don't care what my calendar says.

I did hear rumblings----Saturday is going to be the new Tuesday.

Mark it down.

A lot of people are asking about fees for signatures----and full disclosure is important.

Yes, it's true---we're heading in a direction where most artists or writers are charging for their autographs, or they have a Heroes Initiative jar on the table. And there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone should be putting something into the Heroes jar anyway.

Don't even get me started again about the artist who actually took money OUT and put it in his pocket.

And the boardies (or outside boardie clients) need to know who is charging and how much, so they can understand better where our fees (facilitators) are coming from.

We all have various prices that we build into what we do---what we do is not cheap.

And it's not heavy lifting, but it IS a grind. There are all sorts of costs involved from travel, ticket costs, hotel, food, your TIME is worth money as you stand in lines---and now you have to add in the various autograph fees. So for me, on my part, it stands to reason why I need to be able to explain to a client why one book for one artist/writer is going to cost more (or less) than a book they've asked me to get done for another creator.

Case in point, I'm not going to charge someone the same dollar amount for a book for say, Kelly Sue DeConnick as I am going to for maybe Tony Moore....or less for Robert Kirkman.

I have to be able to explain the costs. Most times, I have a flat fee which can include all the expenses, depending on the show.

However, it also should be put out there the names of some of the people who are so above and beyond generous---and actually are very humble and refuse money even when offered.

Quite frankly, these are the people that I want to pay the most.

At Heroes in Charlotte, NC back in June, I had about 30 books for Kelly Sue DeConnick.

First I'll say---never having met her before, she was an absolute sweetheart.

Everyone wanted pictures with Kelly, she was talkative, bubbly and just a pleasure to be around.

Out of the 30+ books, 17 were Ms Marvel (16 or 17? I forget the issue---but it's the 1st appearance of some major/minor character). The client somehow locked into a ream of these things.

For myself, I had about 5 of her Capt Marvel & the Carol Corps, a few Planet, etc.

She signed away, chatted the whole time, thanked me for supporting her new title.

I asked what I could give her for her time and patience as she signed so many books.

"Nothing," she said. "I don't charge for my signature."

I asked are you sure? That was a small pile, and we're pretty much used to monetarily compensating creators for their signatures.

Kelly replied, "No, not at all. I've never charged for my signature and I never will. As far as I'm concerned, our transaction begins and finishes when you purchase the book. And I appreciate the fact that you're helping to support my book and my career."

I was blown away. You really don't see that much today.

I told her about a writer who, last year, said something similar to me---I offered him money to sign something like 40+ books and he politely refused. He said "You bought these didn't you? I appreciate the fact that you're helping to support my career!"

One week later at NYCC, he was $10 each.

I told Kelly this story, she laughed and said, "Let me tell you something---I've been in this business much longer then him and I know my signature is worth far more than his. Besides, he's a full time ********* and doesn't even need the money."

Dan Partouche has a GREAT Jim Shooter story. I'd rather he share it though.

As a parent, it's an even better story :-)

:thumbsup:

At KCCC this year I dropped over one hundred books on Jim Shooter. The first was a batch of forty. Jim signed them happily and didn't ask for anything. Later that day I had some onsite drop offs (maybe five) for Shooter, so I gave my CAW a $20 bill and said buy him a water and give him whatever is leftover as a thank you for signing so many books. My CAW came back saying Jim happily took the water, but refused the cash.

The next day I had someone come up to my booth with 73 books for Shooter. He asked what Shooter was charging. I told him you can attempt to pay him, but he'll most likely refuse. My CAW took the client to see Shooter. A little while later the CAW and client came back stating Jim was happy to sign them all, set the shortbox behind his table, and we could pick them up later. And he refuse payment yet again.

Another great one is Howard Chaykin.

Almost forgot. Howard, if you haven't met him, is QUITE the character. And I mean that in a good way. He is like high octane, and tells the best stories.

I had some books signed by him at NYCC last year, he didn't want anything.

I'd just about forgotten that----and sent six books to a show he was at earlier this year, along with some cash in an envelope.

My friend who was handling the books returned the cash in the envelope, reminding me that Howard doesn't take money.

My CAW came back saying Jim happily took the water, but refused the cash.

That's how I compensate when they don't want cash--lunch, water, coffee... Those who refuse cash are usually willing to accept a favor.

Let the shout outs continue. :)

For me I am always I pressed with Robert Kirkman, Brian K Vaughan, Rob Guillory, John Layman and Terry Moore.

I realize Kirkman is $10 a book but I believe it goes to charity. The private signing is also so Robert can meet more people during his public signing. He could charge more. He could refuse CGC books. In short, he is awesome. :)

Anyone who has tried to get a private signing with Brian K Vaughan knows he does not want to charge for his sig. I will always remember ImageExpo 2012. For the price of a sharpie Brian told me to bring any books I had and he would gladly sign them all. I had 400 books. He even had an accident on the Friday night and had to wear an eye patch. Most would cancel. He stayed until close on Sunday signing and chatting until the final hour.

Rob and John go out of their way to recommend CGC to anyone getting a Chew 1 signed. They have never charged and often let a short box sit at the back of the booth to be signed during the day.

Terry Moore. Anyone who has ever dealt with Terry knows he's awesome.

I've seen a collector drop a title after dealing with a creator. The titles I enjoy collecting are partially because of meeting the creators.