• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists charging at cons

145 posts in this topic

At last year's Chiller Theatre, many of the celebs including Joe Pantoliano, William B. Davis and Caroll Spinney were charging $20-30 for autographs. Funny that these comic creators have now reached that plateau.

Liefeld's current pricing model, as of 2015 SDCC, was:

$20 for any Deadpool, New Mutants (non 87 or 98), or X-Force book

$40 for New Mutants #87 or #98

$10 extra (on top of the $20 or $40) if the book is to be CGC graded.

Anything else, he will sign for free,

I was slowly walking by his booth as he was sitting there doing nothing, a guy came up with a deadpool hat and tried to get him to sign it. He said merchandise autographs were $20 a pop. I didn't know the guy looking to get his hat signed, but just walking past it gave me a terrible taste in my mouth. Felt bad for the guy with the hat and just reinforced a negative attitude I have about charging for a simple autograph.

Just makes me sad to see fan access being restricted to people with money - that used to be the best part of this hobby - even kids could afford it. I'm all for charging for bulk requests, especially when it's clear people are making a business out of it, but for a fan, the guys who do the first 3-5 for free seem to be holding onto the spirit of the hobby - I hope that attitude prevails.

Celebs at cons are a different ballgame. Though they often (but not always) set their own prices, their appearance contracts often require that they charge, as they're expected to make a certain amount of money or the con has to make up the difference.

We've come a long way from "Here's a free table; whatever you make, you make". I remember when $25 at a show was high. And don't get me started on the BS that is the new private signing trend.

Artists, on the other hand, are mostly treated like vendors. They pay out of pocket for their space with the hope of making a profit.

The con has no financial obligation to them, so they aren't *required* to charge for anything.

Artists also have more to sell than just autographs, whereas that's pretty much all the celebs have.

And this is OT, but if George Pérez is still $40 for a sketch, a lot of smaller name artists need a wake-up call.

a shame about these prices. as a kid running around getting autographs was the reason to go to cons. with these prices i dont see how its any fun anymore.

Most artists designate and set aside time to sign for free at conventions. The monetization of the signatures and sketches of some creators has led to restrictions being put in place, but most will still take care of kids and fans.

A lot of artists used to sketch for free. In the pre-ebay days especially. Their faces weren't rubbed in seeing a piece they just did for some guy who gave a sob story about "How big a fan" he is of the guy or how he "always wanted a sketch for himself" only to see the free sketch plopped up online for a hefty flip and profit.

Seeing something you did as a favor for someone, usually under false pretenses, ended that policy for most creators. No one likes to feel duped or taken advantage.

The artists I've managed will always do free signing hours and give three signatures for free per person per time in line. Guys who want stacks signed can either run through the line a few times or pay a per book fee and get their entire stack done at another time where they don't have to wait around. Works for everyone.

a shame about these prices. as a kid running around getting autographs was the reason to go to cons. with these prices i dont see how its any fun anymore.

Most artists designate and set aside time to sign for free at conventions. The monetization of the signatures and sketches of some creators has led to restrictions being put in place, but most will still take care of kids and fans.

A lot of artists used to sketch for free. In the pre-ebay days especially. Their faces weren't rubbed in seeing a piece they just did for some guy who gave a sob story about "How big a fan" he is of the guy or how he "always wanted a sketch for himself" only to see the free sketch plopped up online for a hefty flip and profit.

Seeing something you did as a favor for someone, usually under false pretenses, ended that policy for most creators. No one likes to feel duped or taken advantage.

The artists I've managed will always do free signing hours and give three signatures for free per person per time in line. Guys who want stacks signed can either run through the line a few times or pay a per book fee and get their entire stack done at another time where they don't have to wait around. Works for everyone.

I've liked going back in line to get more stuff signed. I remember at an early SD comic-con I got back in line 6 times for Tim Sale to sign stuff for me (had stuff from my friends too), and he did a quick sketch free each time for each person. After the fourth time, he asked to just sign the rest of my stuff so I wouldn't have to keep getting in line. I declined and got back in line. On my last trip, he was insulted I didn't ask for another sketch (after already getting 5 free ones). The truth is, I was getting all the stuff for my friends, and didn't really like his art at the time (although now I love it). My friends were very very thankful to me. Good times, I do miss early SDCC (not that early, like 2005).

My bigger shock was Tony Moore, charging $20 -- while Robert Kirkman, to the best of my knowledge is still $10.

Tony turned down $450 for 5 minutes of work this weekend.

$10 was my limit. Not a dollar more.

I'll invest that with Kirkman instead (happily)

Yeah, I had 200 books for him but couldn't justify the $20 given that Robert is the more desired signature. You can thank a fellow boardie for his increase. ;)

My bigger shock was Tony Moore, charging $20 -- while Robert Kirkman, to the best of my knowledge is still $10.

Tony turned down $450 for 5 minutes of work this weekend.

$10 was my limit. Not a dollar more.

I'll invest that with Kirkman instead (happily)

Yeah, I had 200 books for him but couldn't justify the $20 given that Robert is the more desired signature. You can thank a fellow boardie for his increase. ;)

just to set the record straight:

about 8 months ago Kara asked my opinion about Tony's signing fees. I recommended charging a premium on #1 (1st print) and #19.

I said the already established price of $10 a book is fair. I in no way suggested a price increase across the board.

Tony and Kara can charge what ever they want...we as fans can chose not to pay that amount.

Makes sense, charging a premium on #1, #19, etc is pretty much exactly what Liefeld does.

Kara must have made the call to charge $20 across the board :eek:

They're leaving a LOT of money on the table.

I agree with Doug and Ash----asking a "reasonable" premium for #1 and #19 is fair.

Above and beyond that----again, a reasonable amount is fair.

I think, and I could be wrong here----they'll run the risk of alienating fans AND leaving money on the table.

Neal Adams keeps raising his pricing as well, but I think he may have finally reached his ceiling, as I have heard he had to lower prices at one of the last shows. I can't remember the exact figure, as I haven't really needed a Neal s/s in a long time, but I think he went up to something like $40?

And then had to back down from that. (I THINK. ) But I know he was as high as $30 recently.

Makes sense, charging a premium on #1, #19, etc is pretty much exactly what Liefeld does.

Kara must have made the call to charge $20 across the board :eek:

They're leaving a LOT of money on the table.

I agree with Doug and Ash----asking a "reasonable" premium for #1 and #19 is fair.

Above and beyond that----again, a reasonable amount is fair.

I think, and I could be wrong here----they'll run the risk of alienating fans AND leaving money on the table.

Neal Adams keeps raising his pricing as well, but I think he may have finally reached his ceiling, as I have heard he had to lower prices at one of the last shows. I can't remember the exact figure, as I haven't really needed a Neal s/s in a long time, but I think he went up to something like $40?

And then had to back down from that. (I THINK. ) But I know he was as high as $30 recently.

$30 in May. I think IF people vary prices per show, they generally charge the most at SDCC or NYCC, maybe partially to help manage the line and partially because people have more money to spend at those cons.

I think IF people vary prices per show, they generally charge the most at SDCC or NYCC, maybe partially to help manage the line and partially because people have more money to spend at those cons.

You forget the most important reason: they have to pay more to get space at those shows.

Wizard World, for example, charges artists a premium for Chicago, so you can expect some higher prices from artists there than, say, Wizard World Austin where Artist Alley tables cost $125 less.

Wizard World also charges artists $20 more per helper & twice as much for corner table requests at Chicago & Philly compared to the rest of their circuit.

my daughter (7 yo) gets in line, shows them her autograph book and her dinged up copy of what ever book she has that she loves that the artist was on (or not on maybe it's just the same character) and they ALL melt.

I've never seen an artist enforce a fee rate for a kid that looks like they are into it and not being used as a shill for a parent... but I dont go to a ton of cons...

Oh and $5 Hero Initiave donation for a few minutes of joy with George Perez is the best deal in comics.

That man loves his job, loves his fans and loves conventions (whenever he was late to his table at DragonCon it was because he was wandering around looking at cosplayers or other tables)