• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists charging at cons

145 posts in this topic

Oh and $5 Hero Initiave donation for a few minutes of joy with George Perez is the best deal in comics.

That man loves his job, loves his fans and loves conventions (whenever he was late to his table at DragonCon it was because he was wandering around looking at cosplayers or other tables)

George has family that attends DragonCon and often he gets asked to come be in pictures with character groupings like the Teen Titans get together. You've never seen anything until you see 10 Robins, 7 Nightwings, 3 Starfires, 8 Ravens, 4 Jerichos, a couple of Beast Boys and George Perez in the same shot.

As for the kids free everyone else pay, I have no problem with it. Sure a fan is a fan, but you are fostering growth as a fan when those artists give away something free. Plus, there are things called child labor laws so, yeah, they might not have quite the income some of those grown ups do.

My bigger shock was Tony Moore, charging $20 -- while Robert Kirkman, to the best of my knowledge is still $10.

Tony turned down $450 for 5 minutes of work this weekend.

$10 was my limit. Not a dollar more.

I'll invest that with Kirkman instead (happily)

Yeah, I had 200 books for him but couldn't justify the $20 given that Robert is the more desired signature. You can thank a fellow boardie for his increase. ;)

just to set the record straight:

about 8 months ago Kara asked my opinion about Tony's signing fees. I recommended charging a premium on #1 (1st print) and #19.

I said the already established price of $10 a book is fair. I in no way suggested a price increase across the board.

Tony and Kara can charge what ever they want...we as fans can chose not to pay that amount.

But did you mention that not everyone (not even most?) is getting books signed to "make a profit", and that not all sigs add "profit" to all books, in every circumstance?

That would have been the perfect opportunity to do so. Not saying you had to by any means, but it would have been the perfect time to explain that.

After all....an 8.0 SS #19 signed by Kirkman and Moore just sold for $153 in July. Another sold for $161 in May.

The last 8.0 blue sold for $260, and the last blue 8.5 sold for $170.

$10/book adds up, especially if someone wants to put together an entire 24 issue Tony Moore run.

Sure a fan is a fan, but you are fostering growth as a fan when those artists give away something free.

That goes for fans of all ages.

Plus, there are things called child labor laws so, yeah, they might not have quite the income some of those grown ups do.

No kid is at a con alone & plenty of adults don't have the money to throw around for sigs either. My con budget for the year is $70, because that's all the disposable income I have after tix, etc. And I only have that much because I spent absolutely nothing on non-essentials for the rest of the year.

Kids usually aren't the ones who have to work and save to buy an overpriced con ticket to get the chance to meet their favorite creators either. But it makes sense to you that the people that do make those sacrifices, the adults, are less worthy of freebies, simply by virtue of age?

A fan is a fan. Their age shouldn't play into it.

geeze Walt, wet blanket much?

Also guess what happens when an artist does something kind for my kid?

I buy something at their table.

Or I tell them I'll be adding their book to my pull list for as long as they're on it (if they dont have anything at their table that I could take home, like a print)

I've also seen creators do acts of kindness (sketches, pictures, autos) for special-needs fans and for super fans (I've seen an artist do a free con-sketch for someone who was in a spectauclar cosplay of their character),,, they get to do what they want.

Or I tell them I'll be adding their book to my pull list for as long as they're on it (if they dont have anything at their table that I could take home, like a print)

Yeah, but I do all that even without the kid. So what's your point? That you wouldn't be a fan if the artist didn't give your kid a freebie?

(Not trying to be a wet blanket. Just asking as someone that flies solo at a con.)

Yeah, but I do all that even without the kid. So what's your point? That you wouldn't be a fan if the artist didn't give your kid a freebie?

(Not trying to be a wet blanket. Just asking as someone that flies solo at a con.)

the artists I go up to and buy from are usually different than the artists we go up to that my daughter wants to meet (MPL artists, artists for kid lines, etc)

so no if I was there by myself I wouldn't have bought something from that particular artist...

geeze Walt, wet blanket much?

I don't think so, but you're welcome to read my comments in that manner if you so choose.

Ok? Not sure how that's relevant to anything that was said.

I've also seen creators do acts of kindness (sketches, pictures, autos) for special-needs fans and for super fans (I've seen an artist do a free con-sketch for someone who was in a spectauclar cosplay of their character)

See above.

they get to do what they want.

I never said otherwise.

I said that I disliked the attitude; I never so much as implied that they weren't free to hold it.

Option A is kids free, no one else.

Option B is everyone pays.

And somehow option A upsets people. Wet blanket is putting it nicely.

I see nothing wrong w/ Option B, but disagree that those are the only 2 options.

I see nothing wrong w/ Option B, but disagree that those are the only 2 options.

I agree there are more options!

Option C Walt gets to pay double.

:jokealert:

You have no control over the options. But to be upset when it is option A just seems bitter.

You have no control over the options. But to be upset when it is option A just seems bitter.

I never said I did?

I believe all fans should be treated equally. That's my opinion & the last I'll say on the matter.

Now, in case anyone knows the answer, but missed the post, as it got buried:

I asked about his art prices in the OA forum, but does anyone know if Phil Ortiz generally signs books for free that aren't purchased from his table?

Okay guys im attending Wizard World Tulsa Comic Con and am going to get books signed by the following artists.

Mike Zeck

John Beatty

Michael Golden

Jim Shooter

Im aware that Beatty charges only $3 per sig but i need to know what the rest charge.

depends if the agent is there or not...and in some cases what you're getting signed. You should email Renee Witterstaetter to ask about rates.

Okay guys im attending Wizard World Tulsa Comic Con and am going to get books signed by the following artists.

Mike Zeck

John Beatty

Michael Golden

Jim Shooter

Im aware that Beatty charges only $3 per sig but i need to know what the rest charge.

As stated, it often varies by con.

Zeck & Golden are Renee's, so I'd email her & ask.

eta: beat to it

Mike Zeck

John Beatty

Michael Golden

Jim Shooter

Both Zeck and Beatty were $10 for CGC when I saw them last weekend @ KCCC. Shooter doesn't charge.