• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rankings for Dealers

385 posts in this topic

When you sit in some of these depositions with too much time on your hands and a VERY boring witness, you come up with ideas like this. I thought about how a ranking system for dealers would work. What factors would you use as a criteria? Size of inventory, customer service, reputation, historical notable sales, grading abilities, experience, and internet accesibility all factored into my ranking system.

Forget personal feelings about any of these dealers, but rather who the "best" dealers are and what criteria you would use to evaluate them.

This idea seems a little doofy, but I thought it'd be fun to put some more thoughts behind these "best dealer" threads and the like. College Basketball season always gets me thinking along these lines especially when I see things like the indecipherable RPI index and the like.

I didn't include guys like the "dentist" because I don't view him as primarily a dealer, or other collectors who only deal on the side...

Anyway... here goes:

10) Harley Yee: Known for finding hard to find books and offering a fairly wide array of high grade material, Harley has built a solid reputation and a popularity among many collectors. Plus, the guy seems to travel to absolutely every show with his fairly extensive inventory in tow. I've heard rumors of many "backroom deals" involving Harley, and he's a fairly nice guy in person and always polite. A bit quirky, Harley does price high for his high quality. He does not have much of a web presence though, and I think this actually holds him back from ascending higher on this list.

9) Gary Dolgoff: Dolgoff has an enormous inventory of books and literally seems to have bought everything he could get his hands on. If you wanted to fill in holes from the 70s to the 90s, there literally seems to be nothing he could not fill if asked. This breadth of inventory truly has to make you marvel, and he is also a good accurate grader (although not quite as superb as his ads make him sound). Many people sound like they've only had succesful dealings with Gary, and only have positive things to say about him. The one thing is that you don't hear about too many of the "best copies" or high grade stuff filtering through his inventory. Plus, when he does come to shows, many times his inventory is less than inspiring, and it actually can turn you off to buying from him at all, even down the road, because you envision that's what you'll be getting from him by mail order. Nonetheless, he's satisfied many, many customers, and I've only heard good things, and have had one good (personal) experience through him.

8) Doug Sulipa: Very few personal dealings with Doug, but it seems like many collectors on these boards and almost everyone I talk to only has super positive things to say about him and his grading. Trouble is, ordering takes some effort as his web site is apparently tough to navigate. Doug also enjoys a reputation as an incredibly strict grader with just an enormous amount of knowledge about comics. Additionally, his market reports in the Overstreet every year are far and away the most comprehensive in dealing with all aspects of the market and the different genres of books. I'm always impressed with Doug because he isn't just a super hero guy, but knows the other publishers and titles as well, which is how he earns a spot on this list.

7) Bob Storms: Pre the website being updated, Bob would probably not have made my list, but the website update is truly an unbelievable improvement. There are so many new books on that site now that his whole inventory is opened it's incredible. Plus, it's basically a site that serves only high grade books. There are mid/low grades on there offered at very reasonable prices, but the high grade CGC stock is comparable in breadth to ANY other major dealer's site out there. However, Bob isn't as much of a presence in DC books, and certainly leans more towards Marvels. While having sold high grade AF 15s and FF runs, there haven't been as many notable DC collections to go through Bob. Bob's raw grading always was, and remains, some of the strictest anywhere, and on high grade, this is particularly important. Fair and honest, Bob deserves a place on this list despite his inventory not being quite as large, but having one of the best quality inventories.

6) Showcase New England: Whether or not you like Dan Greenhalgh personally, the guy always seems to be in the thick of most major transactions for many major collections. The person who sold Doug Schmell the 9.6 FF #1 and has produced some large finds of high grade over the years, Doug has always been at the forefront finding and buying high grade gold and silver age collections. Plus, if you look at how their Ebay auctions performed, you have to give the guy credit for knowing how to market those raw books and constantly achieve those prices. Although brusque to deal with, Dan appears to have the financial means to compete for many collections, and has years of success doing so. Trouble is, Dan turns a lot of people off with his 'charming' personality, has difficult customer relations (as I found out), and has some accounts of spotty grading. Still, you can't deny the facts and the numbers of his success.

5) Pacific Comics Exchange: Although Robert Roter does not have quite the same inventory in terms of high grade he once did, I remember all throughout the 90s just drooling over some of the books that passed through his hands including an Action #1. For years, I'd see some of his high grade books and just be in awe. A solid reputation all around, this is another dealer that I have not heard any negatives either from other dealers or customers. Of course, Roter also bought the infamous Pacific Coast Collection containing some of the finest examples of high grade Silver Age Marvels, and an X-Men #1 from the collection which later graded out at a spectacular CGC 9.8.

4) Comiclink: Despite my thread on questioning the relevancy of Comiclink during yesterday's thread, there is no denying that Josh Nathanson has cemented Comiclink as an industry standard for consignment sites. This is a site that, even in an era of Ebay where collectors could simply sell their books directly, has still managed to not just survive, but thrive, in today's high grade certified and uncertified market, making it one of the most important and "best" dealers/consignment sites in existence. Although not technically a "dealer", Josh has constructed a community where books can be bought and sold with a high amount of confidence for both buyer and seller and does so with some of the most prominent books available on the market today. Despite glitches in their service, and stiff competition all around, Comiclink is probably the most sucessful, and certainly the most notable, consignment website with the possible exception of...

3) Heritage: It's hard to deny the impact Heritage has had with its auctions for Gold, Silver and Bronze age comics as well as original art. Despite shady dealings with allowing their employees to bid on the auctions and questionable histories from some of the controlling members, you have to be impressed with their stature in today's current marketplace. They turn up some fantastic material, some of which could be considered some of the finest examples of books available. In the current marketplace, few, if any, other dealers, consignment sites, or auction houses, can match them in terms of quality of goods offered.

2) Mile High Comics: Love 'em or hate 'em, Chuck Rozanski is a powerhouse like no other in the Comic Book Dealers' world. Discoverer of the Mile High Collection and later the Mile High II collection, Chuck, while a bit hyperbolic in his tales, is a genuine fan of comics, and should get credit for having the foresight not to take the quick buck on trying to flip the Church collection but rather to expand it into a business for years to come. Chuck built an empire of stores, an enormous web store and assembled just a massive back issue inventory. Is the grading sometimes a bit off? Yes, especially on some high grade material. But owns a ton of high grade material, has sold a mountain of some of the most noteworthy books in history, continues to run insane discounts on trades, back issues and the like, willing to ship for free many times, and is extremely knowledgable about the comic book hobby.

1) Metropolis Comics: The 800 lb. gorilla of the comic book universe, Stephen Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo run the best comic book business in the United States. Period. They have an awe inspiring inventory, their original art collection blows you away, their aggresive tactics in pursuing collections will force most competitors out of the way as they seem to be able to outspend anybody. Their website is constantly being improved, they are involved in some way at most major national shows, their inventory is not just large, but has a large quantity of high grade, and they service some of the wealthiest clientele (Nic Cage, for instance). Their selection of Golden Age is unbelievable (8 Batman #1s at one time), and their selection of Silver seems limitless. They have generally high customer service and professional outlook with regards to almost all their dealings. While I have often been critical of their pricing structure, and their somewhat stringent 'no discounts' on most high grade, their pricing, while high, is not stratospheric. And if you are the kind of collector just seeking the tough book, Metro is the way to go. If you want a book, Metro's probably got it with multiple options. If they don't have it, they can get it. Even the ultra rare. Without question, Metro ranks as the #1 dealer right now.

Honorable mentions to Ted VanLiew of Superworld, LeRoy Harper, Dale Roberts, Motor City Comics, J & S Comics, Joe Koch, Zen Comics and others I'm sure I've left out.

Thoughts?

In reexamining my list, I'd get rid of Roter and SNE, add Doug Schmell (Pedigree) and add Motor City. add Joe Verenault to honorable mention.

A well thought out list from secantur -- except the part with Zaid at the top. That might be the funniest and most ludicrous thing I've ever seen.

zing!

A well thought out list from secantur -- except the part with Zaid at the top. That might be the funniest and most ludicrous thing I've ever seen.

He was at number one? I stopped reading when I hit Graham Crackers. Their stores and show stock are a freaking joke. Anyone who pays their asking prices for anything that isn't super high grade or extremely rare is a chump, plain and simple. I stop by Naperville or one of the city stores now and then, last time they were selling 2.0-4.0 silver age X-Men for 5x guide. Sweet!

He was at number one? I stopped reading when I hit Jamie Graham's name. He might be ok as a person, but his stores and show stock are a freaking joke....unless you like paying 5x guide for low grade silver. confused-smiley-013.gif

Only 5x guide?

Must have lowered his prices a little 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He was at number one? I stopped reading when I hit Jamie Graham's name. He might be ok as a person, but his stores and show stock are a freaking joke....unless you like paying 5x guide for low grade silver. confused-smiley-013.gif

Only 5x guide?

Must have lowered his prices a little 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rewrote my post to reflect the fact that he was talking about the stores, not just the guy....which is actually worse.

Here are my rankings in order of how they scored overall in the factors we discussed. This is not how I'd rank them in terms of who my "favorites" are, but that's because some factors are more important to me than others, yet all of the factors in this system are weighted equally.

PGCMINT.COM (Mark Wilson)

quality of inventory in focal area(s) 10

breadth of inventory 7

customer service 10

reputation 9

historical notable sales 10

grading accuracy 9

experience 10

internet accesibility 10

dealer personality 10

Disclosure of restoration -9.44

FINAL GRADE: 0

Here are my rankings in order of how they scored overall in the factors we discussed. This is not how I'd rank them in terms of who my "favorites" are, but that's because some factors are more important to me than others, yet all of the factors in this system are weighted equally.

breadth of inventory 7

customer service 10

reputation 9

grading accuracy 9

experience 10

internet accesibility 10

dealer personality 10

have you ever been burned by Wilson? I remember back about 6-7 years ago he was a complete laughing stock and practically a byword at conventions. I had a lot of joking converstaions with a certain overstreet advisor about him.

I won't rank them, but here are the guys I buy from the most, for my money they do ALL of the things that matter most to me:

Grade accurately

Are honest about any work done

Package well

Ship fast

Are top notch people:

Richard Evans

James Payette

Phil Bellmore

Rick Whitelock

Adam Perlman

Jamie Graham

Rob Hughes

Stephen Ritter

Matt Nelson

Roger Keim

I buy from others on occasion, and certainly spend a ton on eBay, but the ones on the list consistently meet the five criteria above in my dealings with them.

breadth of inventory 7

customer service 10

reputation 9

grading accuracy 9

experience 10

internet accesibility 10

dealer personality 10

have you ever been burned by Wilson? I remember back about 6-7 years ago he was a complete laughing stock and practically a byword at conventions. I had a lot of joking converstaions with a certain overstreet advisor about him.

Numerous times. Eventually I just had to write him off.

breadth of inventory 7

customer service 10

reputation 9

grading accuracy 9

experience 10

internet accesibility 10

dealer personality 10

Numerous times. Eventually I just had to write him off.

he got on board with CGC and APPARENTLY has cleaned up his act!

He was at number one? I stopped reading when I hit Graham Crackers. Their stores and show stock are a freaking joke. Anyone who pays their asking prices for anything that isn't super high grade or extremely rare is a chump, plain and simple. I stop by Naperville or one of the city stores now and then, last time they were selling 2.0-4.0 silver age X-Men for 5x guide. Sweet!

I have dealt with alot of dealers in the Chicago land area...pretty much all of them in the last 25 or so years. I have to say what is most important to me is honesty and candor. Jamie Graham has always exhibited both in his dealings with me...every single time.

You can quibble that his prices are high, but I have yet to meet a dealer that stays in business for more than a few years that has not been accused of this.

I am an informed consumer, if I see a book that he has that I disagree with him on price he is frank and open and willing to deal. Sometimes we work out a deal, sometimes not, but he is always honest open and willing to try.

There are PLENTY of dealers at shows and in stores who are more than willing to hide defects, hide restoration and be evasive when dealing with resto...Jamie Graham is not one of them. I share in the assertion that Jamie is clear and honest to a fault when talking about his books. That clarity and honesty is worth alot more to me than than to you I guess, that is your preogative.

If people don't like his price they don't have to buy, but unlike alot of other dealers he won't snap your head off or flurry insults at you for trying to get a price down. We have all dealt with those guys.

You can always negotiate a lower price, you can't negotiate a dealer to be straight and honest with you if he is not honest to begin with. I stopped judging comic dealers simply by how low their prices are a long time ago. I have found that you get what you pay for....

Chris

I have dealt with alot of dealers in the Chicago land area...pretty much all of them in the last 25 or so years. I have to say what is most important to me is honesty and candor. Jamie Graham has always exhibited both in his dealings with me...every single time.

You can quibble that his prices are high, but I have yet to meet a dealer that stays in business for more than a few years that has not been accused of this.

I am an informed consumer, if I see a book that he has that I disagree with him on price he is frank and open and willing to deal. Sometimes we work out a deal, sometimes not, but he is always honest open and willing to try.

There are PLENTY of dealers at shows and in stores who are more than willing to hide defects, hide restoration and be evasive when dealing with resto...Jamie Graham is not one of them. I share in the assertion that Jamie is clear and honest to a fault when talking about his books. That clarity and honesty is worth alot more to me than than to you I guess, that is your preogative.

If people don't like his price they don't have to buy, but unlike alot of other dealers he won't snap your head off or flurry insults at you for trying to get a price down. We have all dealt with those guys.

You can always negotiate a lower price, you can't negotiate a dealer to be straight and honest with you if he is not honest to begin with. I stopped judging comic dealers simply by how low their prices are a long time ago. I have found that you get what you pay for....

Chris

To some extent I agree with you. However, for the "10 best" honesty alone isn't the criteria to me. Graham is a wild over grader to me. But -- bottom line -- I wouldn't put him on a "10 worst list" just not a "10 best list" -- too many accuarte grading dealers who are also fair and honest to put ahead of him.

Chris

Ummm, Graham Crackers has 8 locations. I have probably visited his stores like 50+ times and I have NEVER seen him there. So his "clairty and honesty" doesn't really come into play, does it? The man could be a freaking saint, but if he isn't there, I am only left with grading and pricing...both of which suck.

too many accuarte grading dealers who are also fair and honest to put ahead of him.

I have not met that many that combine honest and accurate. I guess it comes from being a show dealer all those years in high school, college and law school. I saw the underbelly...not pretty most of the time.

But then again, I never rely on a dealer's grading. Even the honest one's are at least 1/2 grade over on their books when they sell and a 1/2 grade under on your books when they buy.

Since I grade books for myself, and know what I want to pay, I just need someone honest enough to deal with me and be straight-up. I don't know if that makes it easier or more difficult for the dealers I deal with.

Chris

Ummm, Graham Crackers has 8 locations. I have probably visited his stores like 50+ times and I have NEVER seen him there. So his "clairty and honesty" doesn't really come into play, does it?

You specifically mentioned shows and show stock....he is at every single one. Standing right there behind his books and in front of his wall.

Chris

I think as far as one the nicest, easy going, mellow dealers you would ever meet has to be Ted at Superworld.

Highly recommend visiting his place, its the best couple of hours you will kill.

Ummm, Graham Crackers has 8 locations. I have probably visited his stores like 50+ times and I have NEVER seen him there. So his "clairty and honesty" doesn't really come into play, does it?

You specifically mentioned shows and show stock....he is at every single one. Standing right there behind his books and in front of his wall.

Chris

No, I mentioned shows and stores. Reagrdless, GC has 3-4 different locations at the Chicago Con, so he can't be at every one.

He runs one of the biggest comic retail outfits in the country. At some point he has to be judged by his product and not his personality. He crossed that threshold a LONG time ago, just like Mile High Chuck.