• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rankings for Dealers

385 posts in this topic

However, I will certainly place my integrity against any of the best in the comic business so if you want to challenge that as being ludicrous or laughable, be my guest, but have the professional courtesy of being specific please.

Trust me Mark, you are over reacting to my point. Didn't read my last comment right? I specifically cited one of the most honorable guys in the business Steve Ritter and said I would have said it was ludicrous to cite him as "the best dealer".

But I'm going to just say this right now since you decided to take it quite so personally: The professional courtesy I did was by NOT being specific. And no folks, I'm not airing it publicly, so please don't ask. This matter is closed to me.

Maybe we can just give Mark the Rookie Dealer of the Year award and leave it at that. I don't think you can get to the top of the dealer list being both a newcomer and a part-timer.

But he's off to a hell of a start and like AP,should make the Hall of Fame,barring injury or scandal.

Please don't focus so much on the numbered rankings (it ain't the BCS) but more on comment.

My post says (and I tried to be careful with my wording), "I’ve recently really enjoyed doing business with" while further noting "Integrity" as the most weighted value. Those were my criteria, and I never quoted anyone as "the best dealer".

Apologies if this wasn't clear enough - perhaps David Letterman Top Ten rules.

Several of you mentioned Doug Sulipa...he's in Canada right (oh, another potential hockey fan, yes!)? Does he deal in Golden Age? And is he "Canada's #1 Comic Book Dealer!"?

STEVE

Please don't focus so much on the numbered rankings (it ain't the BCS) but more on comment.

My post says (and I tried to be careful with my wording), "I’ve recently really enjoyed doing business with" while further noting "Integrity" as the most weighted value. Those were my criteria, and I never quoted anyone as "the best dealer".

Apologies if this wasn't clear enough - perhaps David Letterman Top Ten rules.

Several of you mentioned Doug Sulipa...he's in Canada right (oh, another potential hockey fan, yes!)? Does he deal in Golden Age? And is he "Canada's #1 Comic Book Dealer!"?

STEVE

Let me put it to you this way Steve, there are a lot of dealers with integrity out there. This is based, I presume, on your personal dealings. If integrity is #1, I guess I'd ask what constitutes integrity to you? How should a dealer act when engaging in transactions to be "honest". Many dealers are fair, price fairly, take returns, disclose restoration, pressing and any other sort of defects. What makes one stand out over another?

I respect both you guys tremendously and I thought that Brian was joking when he made that comment but apparently he was not. I have to admit I was surprised and from what I know of FK felt that it was out of character. Not sure what warranted those comments Brian but lets keep the spirit of this thread on a more up beat tone. thumbsup2.gif

Though a newcomer to comic book dealing, Esquire falls in the very very small handful of dealers that have earned my trust.

Same here. thumbsup2.gif

Having dealt with Mark on a personal basis, I will say that my dealing with him has been fantastic. Mark brings to the hobby a breath of fresh air in terms of customer service. The standard model for purchasing comics is typically that a dealer says a comic is in X grade and the price is Y. When I first met Mark, we sat down with a pile of silver DC's and discussed the grade of each until we agreed, then discussed a price until we agreed on each one, then, even after I'd agreed to the price, he made a further discount and threw in some free comics. I was very impressed by the amount of time he was willing to spend to be sure I was 100% happy with the deal.

I'm not sure we will all come to a consensus on who the best dealer is, but Mark is definitely up there in my book, and I hope to see him acquire some more collections of things I'm looking for.

I think when I posted my list of dealers earlier in this thread - it was a while ago - I was posting the dealers I like buying from the best, not so much those I presumed would be the best for everyone.

As far as Stephen Ritter goes, I've known him personally for about 20 years. He's still in the military, but when his gig is up look for him to be a major player. I've seen his stock and the only thing holding him back at this point is his work on the pedigree book, which is a monster, and that he's a fully-enlisted colonel in the military while the country's at war! Personally, I don't know how Stephen has time to do anything.

All I'm saying here is I'd buy from these two guys any day.

I respect both you guys tremendously and I thought that Brian was joking when he made that comment but apparently he was not. I have to admit I was surprised and from what I know of FK felt that it was out of character. Not sure what warranted those comments Brian but lets keep the spirit of this thread on a more up beat tone. thumbsup2.gif

Though a newcomer to comic book dealing, Esquire falls in the very very small handful of dealers that have earned my trust.

Same here. thumbsup2.gif

Having dealt with Mark on a personal basis, I will say that my dealing with him has been fantastic. Mark brings to the hobby a breath of fresh air in terms of customer service. The standard model for purchasing comics is typically that a dealer says a comic is in X grade and the price is Y. When I first met Mark, we sat down with a pile of silver DC's and discussed the grade of each until we agreed, then discussed a price until we agreed on each one, then, even after I'd agreed to the price, he made a further discount and threw in some free comics. I was very impressed by the amount of time he was willing to spend to be sure I was 100% happy with the deal.

I'm not sure we will all come to a consensus on who the best dealer is, but Mark is definitely up there in my book, and I hope to see him acquire some more collections of things I'm looking for.

As far as Stephen Ritter goes, I've known him personally for about 20 years. He's still in the military, but when his gig is up look for him to be a major player. I've seen his stock and the only thing holding him back at this point is his work on the pedigree book, which is a monster, and that he's a fully-enlisted colonel in the military while the country's at war! Personally, I don't know how Stephen has time to do anything.

I agree with this part -- Stephen Ritter is one of the best guys in the business and an absolute stand up guy. I'm sure he will one day be a major player.

For me it's senseless to debate whether Zaid "is or isn't a major dealer". I'm glad you had a nice experience with Zaid. But I have had the exact same experience (or something very similar) with Metropolis, Bob Storms, Gary Platt, Ted VanLiew, Stephen Ritter, Doug Schmell, and about three or four comic stores I visit on a regular basis. I'm simply pointing out that I'm not sure why this is so novel or new, as I've been experiencing this same type of "honesty, integrity and customer service" for years with many dealers. But I know enough to know that my experience alone is not what makes someone the "most honest" or the "highest integrity".

I'll nominate Richard Evans of Bedrock City. He has taken care of any and all problems I have had over the 13 years I've dealt with him.

One time he was selling a collection for another dealer. I bought a nice looking Batman 164. When I go home, I noticed the letters to the editor page was missing. He offered the chance to return the book for a refund or store credit against his inventory for the difference in grade if I wanted to keep it. I kept the book and was very happy.

I have only dealt with a hand full of dealers since I usually buy books from either ebay or lcs but I have had great experiances with:

Pedigree Comics - Doug answers all my emails faster than my GF answers the phone and ships books extremely fast. Great customer serivce.

Qualitycomix - Brent is an excellent dealer who I have dealt with a couple of times. Books were inexpensive and shipping was fast. Great customer service

Highgradecomics - Only used it once so far but I had an excellent transaction with a prompt shipment. Will buy more once more X-Men come up.

Qualitycomix - Brent is an excellent dealer who I have dealt with a couple of times. Books were inexpensive and shipping was fast. Great customer service

Out of the dealers I have dealt with recently, Brent has been the best by far. I have been extremely impressed with his grading and pricing...really a breath of frest air when you look at the typical overgraded and overpriced material many dealers attempt to foist onto collectors.

Out of the dealers I have dealt with recently, Brent has been the best by far. I have been extremely impressed with his grading and pricing...really a breath of frest air when you look at the typical overgraded and overpriced material many dealers attempt to foist onto collectors.

Also true. Doesn't overgrade, doesn't overprice, and well respected by many people.

This list of good dealers is getting longer.

I agree with this part -- Stephen Ritter is one of the best guys in the business and an absolute stand up guy. I'm sure he will one day be a major player.

For me it's senseless to debate whether Zaid "is or isn't a major dealer". I'm glad you had a nice experience with Zaid. But I have had the exact same experience (or something very similar) with Metropolis, Bob Storms, Gary Platt, Ted VanLiew, Stephen Ritter, Doug Schmell, and about three or four comic stores I visit on a regular basis. I'm simply pointing out that I'm not sure why this is so novel or new, as I've been experiencing this same type of "honesty, integrity and customer service" for years with many dealers. But I know enough to know that my experience alone is not what makes someone the "most honest" or the "highest integrity".

Thanks for sharing, Brian. (And also for starting this great thread. ) It's good to know other dealers are willing to give this level of customer service. While I like Metro, for example, I've never been in a postition to suggest what the grade of a comic was. Maybe I just don't know them well enough.

My experience is that the average dealer says what the grade is and that if you want the book and don't agree on the grade, they get annoyed, even when you bring up valid points. (I'm not a haggler and WILL pay full price for an accurately priced and graded book.)

At the time of my interaction with Mark, Mark's approach seemed a new approach to customer service to me, and I was impressed.

I hope a lot of dealers are reading this thread, cause people on these boards spend a lot of $$$$ on comics, and it would be beneficial to them to know what we want to see in the way of customer service. If I don't like a trransaction, I typically never buy from that dealer again.

Honestly I don't know why people are disagreeing with such veracity. frown.gif

If there's one thing one want less of on the internet it's veracity! sumo.gif

Main Entry: ve·rac·i·ty

Pronunciation: v&-'ra-s&-tE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -ties

1 : devotion to the truth : TRUTHFULNESS

2 : power of conveying or perceiving truth

3 : conformity with truth or fact : ACCURACY

4 : something true <makes lies sound like veracities>

flowerred.gif

Recently, I've not been subject to the annoyance from dealer's when you don't agree... it's many times how it's stated. I think that's fair. Dealers want you to try and understand their side of the transaction, and sometimes I don't think that we as consumers try to understand.

One of the reasons I'm such a huge fan of Bob Storms is that I always feel like he's being honest -- but because he's a straight shooter telling me when he thinks something is good or bad. We can agree or disagree about grade (but it's relevant to price) and he has well thought out, good reasoning for his ideas and pricing data. It's not pulled out of thin air. Since I've seen it in person, I truly realize the level of organization he has for his business and I respect that. I want someone to tell me the way they really feel on a transaction, they don't need to maintain constant civility to make it a pleasant transaction. The relationship between dealer/customer should be a give and take.

But I guess what I would say is that some of these dealers have been far more successful than others. Many people rip the Metro model (I'm one of them who has in the past). But guess what -- they have constant success -- so they are obviously doing something right. They are good at their customer service as well -- but many people here have had bad experiences, yet they are still clearly #1 for vintage books.

I think that every dealer has differing relationships with their customers. Mark treated you well, and for that I'm glad. But if we are talking the cream of the crop -- I think we have to factor in a variety of of criteria -- Integrity/Honesty should be an automatic qualification just to be under consideration.