• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rankings for Dealers

385 posts in this topic

I think as far as one the nicest, easy going, mellow dealers you would ever meet has to be Ted at Superworld.

Highly recommend visiting his place, its the best couple of hours you will kill.

Ted's the best...love that guy. Always happy, smiling, glad to see you.

One of the "good guys" in the hobby.

Chris

I think as far as one the nicest, easy going, mellow dealers you would ever meet has to be Ted at Superworld.

Highly recommend visiting his place, its the best couple of hours you will kill.

Ted's the best...love that guy. Always happy, smiling, glad to see you.

One of the "good guys" in the hobby.

Chris

Yep, Ted is the man. thumbsup2.gif

A well thought out list from secantur -- except the part with Zaid at the top. That might be the funniest and most ludicrous thing I've ever seen.

Always nice to be able to count on you for something positive to say Brian. Love you too! hi.gif

A well thought out list from secantur -- except the part with Zaid at the top. That might be the funniest and most ludicrous thing I've ever seen.

Always nice to be able to count on you for something positive to say Brian. Love you too! hi.gif

It's ludicrous b/c you aren't a full time dealer and I think even you would admit you are "inexpreienced" when it comes to being a dealer -- you really think you deserve to outrank Jim Payette, Richard Evans and Metropolis. Dude -- that's laughable, not personal. It's about the criteria.

If he ranked Stephen Ritter as "number one" I would have said ludicrous as well.

Some spirited discussion (well done, lads)...

I should mention that other than ECs, I primarily collect early Golden Age...so the fellow who didn't like one dealer because of overpriced Silver Age would never have shown up on my radar screen.

I really like Ted/Superworld a lot (great guy), but his grading is too loose for me to include on the list.

Didn't mention Jef Hinds because it's been so long since I've purchased a book from him (I can't remember any details).

We all have varied experiences and opinions, and I enjoy hearing them all ("Ladies and Gentlemen...Entertainment and Education is yours!"). Some fool's ludicrous is another person's awesome.

STEVE

I agree with everything said about Ted and have bought from him.

And, same of Harley, he seems to have the books I want, at 2X what I'm willing to pay.

Which is why every time you go to Harley's booth, he has the books you want. If he had them priced at what you are willing to pay, some other guy would have bought them six shows before you ever saw them.

You cannot go to as many shows as Harley does and maintain BOTH a great stock of key books AND low prices.

Big thanks for the starting of this thread and those who contributed afterwards - gave me some more resources to come through (that have a net presence) as being on an island in the Med, I have limited venues to seach and this is like a gold mine, even if I don't purchase - just to see what's out there and look at cool books,although already the no scans at Metropolis seems at the very least odd and at the most a turn-off (although I'm sure they don't care what I think) but they do add another pricing reference.

Great to get an dea of not only they exist, but how some members feel about them - thanks thumbsup2.gif

zing!

1564648-stewie_ba-zing.gif

Thanks for getting this thread started again. (I tried a couple of times. shy.gif)

1564648-stewie_ba-zing.gif.ad2a1e8e0ee109a1841c2c0d89f15ed4.gif

or you could see him at any primatepromotions.com Boston show and also get Jim Payette's only convention appearance! Never mind many other dealers with mucho Gold and Silver such as Odyssey and Goldenage!

Free passes for board members who are first timers! cloud9.gif

I agree with everything said about Ted and have bought from him.

And, same of Harley, he seems to have the books I want, at 2X what I'm willing to pay.

Have picked up some books that I have only been able to find through Harley. Is he overpriced, yes, but there isn't an easier guy to work with if you need time payments to complete a deal. Grading is spot on of course.

or you could see him at any primatepromotions.com Boston show and also get Jim Payette's only convention appearance! Never mind many other dealers with mucho Gold and Silver such as Odyssey and Goldenage!

I'll go, but only if Richie Muchin is there too! crazy.gif

foreheadslap.gif

It's ludicrous b/c you aren't a full time dealer and I think even you would admit you are "inexpreienced" when it comes to being a dealer -- you really think you deserve to outrank Jim Payette, Richard Evans and Metropolis. Dude -- that's laughable, not personal. It's about the criteria.

If he ranked Stephen Ritter as "number one" I would have said ludicrous as well.

I don't see what difference it makes being a part-time versus full-time dealer, nor whether I was a dealer for one day versus ten years (BTW, I have approximately 5 years of experience being a dealer over the last 23 year period). Steve was commenting on his experiences with dealers. As far as I know, I'm a "dealer" by any reasonable definition.

Steve identified his criteria as follows:

While grading, pricing, inventory, return policy, customer service, etc., are all important factors to consider, Integrity is the number one thing I look for – it permeates everything else they/we do.

I have no idea if I "deserve" to outrank any specific dealer, much less any of the individuals you named, but your choice of words - whether you would apply them to me or to Stephen Ritter - was poor.

To be sure, some dealers, whether full or part-time, have better prices than I do. Some have better inventory than I do. Some have more experience than I do. Maybe even some have better customer service than I do.

However, I will certainly place my integrity against any of the best in the comic business so if you want to challenge that as being ludicrous or laughable, be my guest, but have the professional courtesy of being specific please.

I respect both you guys tremendously and I thought that Brian was joking when he made that comment but apparently he was not. I have to admit I was surprised and from what I know of FK felt that it was out of character. Not sure what warranted those comments Brian but lets keep the spirit of this thread on a more up beat tone. thumbsup2.gif

yeahok.gif

When pigs fly.

The inmates stopped running the asylum when Great Eastern imploded.

I respect both you guys tremendously and I thought that Brian was joking when he made that comment but apparently he was not. I have to admit I was surprised and from what I know of FK felt that it was out of character. Not sure what warranted those comments Brian but lets keep the spirit of this thread on a more up beat tone. thumbsup2.gif

Though a newcomer to comic book dealing, Esquire falls in the very very small handful of dealers that have earned my trust.

I don't see what difference it makes being a part-time versus full-time dealer, nor whether I was a dealer for one day versus ten years (BTW, I have approximately 5 years of experience being a dealer over the last 23 year period). Steve was commenting on his experiences with dealers. As far as I know, I'm a "dealer" by any reasonable definition.

Steve identified his criteria as follows:

While grading, pricing, inventory, return policy, customer service, etc., are all important factors to consider, Integrity is the number one thing I look for – it permeates everything else they/we do.

I have no idea if I "deserve" to outrank any specific dealer, much less any of the individuals you named, but your choice of words - whether you would apply them to me or to Stephen Ritter - was poor.

To be sure, some dealers, whether full or part-time, have better prices than I do. Some have better inventory than I do. Some have more experience than I do. Maybe even some have better customer service than I do.

However, I will certainly place my integrity against any of the best in the comic business so if you want to challenge that as being ludicrous or laughable, be my guest, but have the professional courtesy of being specific please.

Sorry, I see FK's point perfectly. You simply don't sell enough to fill the criteria for full-time dealer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what % of your time do you spend selling comics? If you're like me, if it's over 15% you'd be feeling guilty about your day job commitment.

That is not to say you haven't done a great job as a seller. You may have peformed with great integrity in all of your dealings to date, and enough for certain buyers to prefer you above all other sellers, and you get some weight for selling big ticket books. But of those he was considering, you're clearly a part-timer by comparison. As am I and about 50 other people on these boards who've sold thousands of books, with ne'er a complanit, for many years.

By analogy, many think Albert Pujols is one of the greatest hitters ever. I think there's about 100 guys in BB history who are better based on their 15+ year careers; 6 years for Pujols is a good start but it's a little premature to call him among the best.

I don't see what difference it makes being a part-time versus full-time dealer, nor whether I was a dealer for one day versus ten years

I guess this is the most puzzlnig statement to me. Of course it makes a difference how much you deal. One deal is not enough to establish anything. There are a lot of instances of people who had been hi-rep dealers for several years going bad. Remember Jack Hammersly? Probably 10+ years of successful dealing and then BAM he scams dozens of people and disappears.