• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rankings for Dealers

385 posts in this topic

speaking for myself, I would not know about your shows without seeing them listed in TONY or the NY Times, or a flyer at my LCS- unless I got a postcard or email from you (which I don't). The only place I've heard of your shows has been recently, from this board, and I've been a comic collector in NYC for years.

Do you read Wizard? or CBG? Or pick up fliers at Big Apple shows? or New York Comicon? The best list of shows may be at comicbookconventions.com.

or bookmark primatepromotions.com

or you could "Google" the words comic book convention and the city of your choice.

If you would like to try our next show it's Sunday March 18 at the Midtown Holiday Inn beween 9th and 10th. 70 tables of comic books and creators. PM your name and address and I will put you on the pass list for two.

If Wizard is no longer cost effective

All of our 2007 shows will be in Wizard. I tried a few different things in the last quarter of 2006. But we will be in all 2007 issues of Wizard and CBG. I will be handing out a lot of fliers at NYCC for future shows.

have you considered targetted web advertising? I suggest this for any promoter -- I think Wizard is still a good outlet, CBG I'm not so sure of anymore (sadly).

But I think local shows get a lot of exposure from local comic shop owners displaying flyers in their store and promoting via word of month. A trade off of one free table and some personal interaction and relationships when dropping the flyers off can result in some increased exposure I would think.

speaking for myself, I would not know about your shows without seeing them listed in TONY or the NY Times, or a flyer at my LCS- unless I got a postcard or email from you (which I don't). The only place I've heard of your shows has been recently, from this board, and I've been a comic collector in NYC for years.

Do you read Wizard? or CBG? Or pick up fliers at Big Apple shows? or New York Comicon? The best list of shows may be at comicbookconventions.com.

If you would like to try our next show it's Sunday March 18 at the Midtown Holiday Inn beween 9th and 10th. 70 tables of comic books and creators. PM your name and address and I will put you on the pass list for two.

Many people don't pick up flyers for other shows while at another show. Also, many long time collectors stopped reading CBG and detest Wizard, so I'm not surprised mattbird doesn't hear about it through Wizard.

No wizard, No CBG, I will not pick up many flyers, but those put into purchase bags I will read. I have been a regular attendee at big apple and NY Comicon shows. I will try to get to your next one, certainly. and thanks for the passes!

My overall point was that there are other ways of reaching comic collectors besides the fan publications, which may help attendance. I certainly look in TONY and the times for things going on, as do a large % of new yorkers..

EDIT: what Foolkiller said perfectly sums it up. thumbsup2.gif

Says the man shelling 5X guide for 9.4 BA Horror books poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif

I was just paying 2X guide for the books I was talking about from Harley.

I'm dying to see your MH books...I'm sure they are all 9.2 or better... poke2.gif

Were in the same boat goofball. Its like a treasure hunt with no map. makepoint.gif

Shh! That was my secret! insane.gif

In Manhattan

Then once you get to the show everything is overpriced.

It is easier for me to stay home and surf the internet then go to a show.

I know that eventually the book I am looking for will show up on Ebay and I will get it for a more than fair price.

I have been to one show in the past 6 years. I attended in order to give CGC some books to grade.

My question is this:

In general, Can I buy GA CGC graded books cheaper at a convention paying no commissions or from "high priced" auction houses?

or primatepromotions.com.

dumb question; do you have a means by which to collect names + addresses from attendees, like a drawing for door prizes and such? addresses can be either snail- or e-mail

dumb question; do you have a means by which to collect names + addresses from attendees, like a drawing for door prizes and such? addresses can be either snail- or e-mail

We use both and have a website that is constantly updated.

primatepromotions.com

Interesting quote "So 9.6 Bronze or Silver Age would not be my bag if it were slabbed"

I'm a business man. If I get it graded which costs me $$ and time, it comes back a 9.6 and I can sell it for $200 versus $50 raw should I get it graded or sell it to you so you can get it graded and make $150?

I sometimes feel that MANY many collectors think that dealers should treat this as a hobby. Yet complain when a dealer doesn't behave like a businessman

Bob, I don't know why my post was considered a criticsim, it wasn't.

Why wouldn't I buy 9.6 bronze? For the very reason you just stated. Why would I pay $200 for a $50 book? Collectors can pay whatever they want, I have no issue with that.

I personally think paying $700 for a Spidey 172, or some such issue, is not something I would be comfortable with. There must be thousands of them in high grade.

I know you don't carry a ton of golden age, that is what I buy. No bigee. I think you are a great guy, I just like low to mid grade, or restored, golden age.

everyone liking something different is what drives the hobby.

Interesting quote "So 9.6 Bronze or Silver Age would not be my bag if it were slabbed"

I'm a business man. If I get it graded which costs me $$ and time, it comes back a 9.6 and I can sell it for $200 versus $50 raw should I get it graded or sell it to you so you can get it graded and make $150?

I sometimes feel that MANY many collectors think that dealers should treat this as a hobby. Yet complain when a dealer doesn't behave like a businessman

Bob, I don't know why my post was considered a criticsim, it wasn't.

Why wouldn't I buy 9.6 bronze? For the very reason you just stated. Why would I pay $200 for a $50 book? Collectors can pay whatever they want, I have no issue with that.

I personally think paying $700 for a Spidey 172, or some such issue, is not something I would be comfortable with. There must be thousands of them in high grade.

I know you don't carry a ton of golden age, that is what I buy. No bigee. I think you are a great guy, I just like low to mid grade, or restored, golden age.

everyone liking something different is what drives the hobby.

I should also add that a Bronze collector would probably think I am goofy for spending $5500 on a restored golden age book. It is all relative, and it is all good. As long as you love what you buy, all is well.

Many people don't pick up flyers for other shows while at another show.

Why not?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Just give me one logical reason why a person would not pick up a piece of paper telling them of another event advertising something as esoteric as old comic books? confused-smiley-013.gif

There are not that many shows with old comic books if you are a serious collector.

At most shows you have to walk by the fliers and actually avoid them. 893whatthe.gif

I will be stuffing and distributing a lot of fliers in comic sales bags at New York Comicon February 23-25.

My associates and I have five booths in a great location with some great stuff. Drop by booths 132-133 for some great deals on comic books and a flier for our March 18 New York City Comic Book show at the Midtown Holiday Inn. yay.gif

Yes my math is correct. 132 is a triple and 133 is a double booth.

3 plus 2 equals 5 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We are in the front row of the dealer section just after the gaming. yay.gif

There is such a wealth of free places one can post an event,in most towns,that it simply amazes me promoters don't bother with them.

All one needs do is follow the example of the folks that ran the Feb. show in NYC.

Yes,they screwed up bigtime by over-selling the event,but no one thought they could draw such a crowd in the dead of winter.Their blitz of free media and publicity for the two weeks prior to the show was unprecidented for a NYC show,and the turnout is a testiment to it.

Its as if most promoters had never heard of J.C. Levinson.

And as usual your response is typical of why conventions keep shrinking.

My response is typical of why conventions keep shrinking?

Could you make at least 1 point instead of a blanket statement answering nothing?

Have you read your own rants page?

Why are shows shrinking?

I am sure that dealers with unrealistic expectations for amount of work put in isn't on your list. 27_laughing.gif

hey Langer. I sense your frustration with dealers like Bob etc. Must suck to be caught in a death-spiral business. But the dealers arent the problem. Hearing you fight with them/him just comes across like fighting on the deck of the Titanic. Im not saying the business is dead yet. but the long term trends are against it, and especially the (back-issue comics) convention aspect. I enjoy them and go to as many are convenient, but feel less compelled to do so because I can search many of the same dealers wares every night here on the internet. So making time to walk the aisles and see the usual same books that havent already flown out of dealers hands the moment they got them in just isnt as much of a draw as it was 10 years ago when each show was a MAJOR opportunity to load up.

Back then dealers who delivered slews of books to within walking distance of me was the BEST way to collect. Not anymore. I think Bob gets it, and therefore weighs attending any show carefully whether its worth his time. You, on the other hand, have to be frustrated since you obviously feel you are doing all you can to stem the tide going against all of you. I feel your pain fella..... but short of a marketing miracle (hah!) the die is cast. Say, what will you be doing in 10 years? maybe time to plan ahead.

Dave, you are like talking to a wall, a dense one. Your response is obviously that you know everything and "we" know nothing. Our observations or suggestions mean nothing to you so continue to run your shows as you see fit.

Let's see, I do $1000 in a Boston show sales. I leave the day before, rise at 5:30 in the morning, drive an hour and a half. I'm there until 4-5, leave the show for a nice 5 hour drive. unload for a 1/2 hour. I've put in over 2 days for $1000 in sales + 10 hours of driving. And let's say I buy $1000 in books. 2 days for $2K. I can do that staying home.

I've done enough of your shows to say that I'm not seeing new faces, I'm seeing the same ones over and over again.

To a previous post of yours I would wonder why you would suggest I advertise in the NY times when I live in Long Island which is Newsday. Long Island has a higher population than NYC by the way and they do have a Kids and Event sections of the paper that can be advertised in. My wife by the way has wondered why a NY show wouldn't advertise in Newsday but obviously you know all this.

Unrealistic expectations? Amount of work? Does this follow the same train of thought that I must not have kids or this is a Part time business to me so I don't work it that hard. Honestly, you continue to embarass yourself on how little you know about me or how hard I work or how much I care about the general state of this business.