• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

Question for the initiated................... are there any other variants that seem to be as coveted and difficult to find as this book ? I don't see any copies of this on ebay, but their search function can be unrewarding at times.....? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What does everyone here do for a living? I just logged back in and there is like 20 pages of ongoing dialogue.... Who can do this at work?

JDog, whatever you do and can afford your sig line - I want in!

I get paid to post.

In what? My personal preference would be to be paid in Twinkies.

Question for the initiated................... are there any other variants that seem to be as coveted and difficult to find as this book ? I don't see any copies of this on ebay, but their search function can be unrewarding at times.....? GOD BLESS...

Yes. The closest would be the Uncanny X men 510 J Scott Campbell partial sketch variant.

It's a convention book from 2009.

-J.

Yes. The closest would be the Uncanny X men 510 J Scott Campbell partial sketch variant.

It's a convention book from 2009.

-J.

(thumbs u

On Friday, I took our family dog in to test for Cushing's Disease. He has shown many if not all of the symptoms of having it, including lack of energy, increased belly size, discolorations tummy and paws, increased thirst, troubled pooping, and just a general malaise. We took a pretest for cortisol levels, and the levels were high, which is also a sign of Cushings. Given the age and breed of our dog, it is probable that he has it, and oddly we kind of hope he does because Cushing's is generally treatable. The thing is, the doctor would not SAY HE HAS CUSHINGS, until we actually complete the CUSHING'S test. That doesn't mean you can't act like its cushings, or treat it as such, but just that you still need the actual evidence to say so with certainty.

It is reasonable to suggest he has Cushings, and to suggest a test for it, but just listing the symptoms does not make it true.

Heck, the entire House MD tv show was based on this premise. The disease was always something else that looked like something else.

(Of course there are such things as false positives, or publishers lying about numbers, but we don't even have that much 'evidence' here yet)

With that being said, I actually believe most of what Jaydog says is true. It all makes sense. The pieces fit. But the pieces fit together to create a picture of a reasonable, well-founded theory, not a fact with any level of scientific or even legal certainty.

Other's are not saying that ASM 667 variant is probably or absolutely common, just that there's not enough hard evidence to be completely sure the low print run is a fact. The argument is about the presentation of the theory as 'fact', not about whether the theory is true or not. The display of alternative theories is to show that other theories exist which also not been disproven through evidence, is generally not because people believe those theories more, just to show that to draw absolute conclusions those other theories must be ruled out, which they haven't been.

how come you didnt buy it when it was new?

lol I couldn't find one. I live in a large metropolitan area with multiple large comic shops and none of them ordered enough regular copies to get the variant.

Trust me I looked! :tonofbricks:

-J.

Yet a store in Newfoundland did?

Have you been to Newfoundland? lol

lol I know right.

They didn't get it from diamond though. The owner himself acquired it from the secondary market and "cashed out" evidently when he thought the market for it was peaking.

By all accounts he did well. I didn't mind "overpaying" a little at the time because I never sell comics and his was the only copy I heard about through the grapevine even possibly being available for "the right price". So after some back and forth negotiations, multiple high resolution scans, begging and pleading, and an international wire transfer I finally scored a copy. I then slabbed it a year ago after the prices started going nuclear because I wanted to make sure it really would be a certified 9.8. Thankfully it was.

-J.

I was going to say, 100 copies would be enough for everyone in Trinity. lol

On Friday, I took our family dog in to test for Cushing's Disease. He has shown many if not all of the symptoms of having it, including lack of energy, increased belly size, discolorations tummy and paws, increased thirst, troubled pooping, and just a general malaise. We took a pretest for cortisol levels, and the levels were high, which is also a sign of Cushings. Given the age and breed of our dog, it is probable that he has it, and oddly we kind of hope he does because Cushing's is generally treatable. The thing is, the doctor would not SAY HE HAS CUSHINGS, until we actually complete the CUSHING'S test. That doesn't mean you can't act like its cushings, or treat it as such, but just that you still need the actual evidence to say so with certainty.

It is reasonable to suggest he has Cushings, and to suggest a test for it, but just listing the symptoms does not make it true.

Heck, the entire House MD tv show was based on this premise. The disease was always something else that looked like something else.

(Of course there are such things as false positives, or publishers lying about numbers, but we don't even have that much 'evidence' here yet)

With that being said, I actually believe most of what Jaydog says is true. It all makes sense. The pieces fit. But the pieces fit together to create a picture of a reasonable, well-founded theory, not a fact with any level of scientific or even legal certainty.

Other's are not saying that ASM 667 variant is probably or absolutely common, just that there's not enough hard evidence to be completely sure the low print run is a fact. The argument is about the presentation of the theory as 'fact', not about whether the theory is true or not. The display of alternative theories is to show that other theories exist which also not been disproven through evidence, is generally not because people believe those theories more, just to show that to draw absolute conclusions those other theories must be ruled out, which they haven't been.

Seriously, I hope your dog is okay. Pets are members of the family and I hope all ends well.

To your point - there has been a lot of arguing about "proper arguing" and whether or not a logical fallacy has taken place (which I do all the time as well). However in this case it has gotten a tad excessive (which is also funny coming from me).

Jay's theory is sound and until proven incorrect, I am inclined to lean towards his explanation. In this instance the burden of proof works in his favor, not against.

This is of course ignoring all the pomp and circumstance.

The only fact that we know is that the book is rare.

No, the only facts we know are that the book has been (relatively) rare on the highly visible parts of the secondary market and the book has made (relatively) few trips to CGC HQ... so far. Neither of which tell us anything about the total number of copies printed or extant.

5 slabs sold in four and a half years and one copy offered in an entire year is "relatively rare" to you? And rarity on the market has nothing to do or any correlation to the print run ?

Those are interesting opinions you have there.

-J.

....... don't you think it's time for you to throw up your hands in anger...... sell me your copy for 500, because you're just sick and tired of all the drama..... then I can flip it for a handsome profit..... and EVERYONE will be happy (shrug) ........... GOD BLESS....

Touche Jimjum. Touche. :roflmao:

-J.

...... tell you what, since I've always liked you...... I'll go $ 650 plus a mid grade Hulk 180 (.... so you can finally have Wolverine's 1st appearance)..... but you need to act quickly, before I come to my senses..... GOD BLESS...

The only fact that we know is that the book is rare.

No, the only facts we know are that the book has been (relatively) rare on the highly visible parts of the secondary market and the book has made (relatively) few trips to CGC HQ... so far. Neither of which tell us anything about the total number of copies printed or extant.

5 slabs sold in four and a half years and one copy offered in an entire year is "relatively rare" to you? And rarity on the market has nothing to do or any correlation to the print run ?

Those are interesting opinions you have there.

-J.

....... don't you think it's time for you to throw up your hands in anger...... sell me your copy for 500, because you're just sick and tired of all the drama..... then I can flip it for a handsome profit..... and EVERYONE will be happy (shrug) ........... GOD BLESS....

Touche Jimjum. Touche. :roflmao:

-J.

...... tell you what, since I've always liked you...... I'll go $ 650 plus a mid grade Hulk 180 (.... so you can finally have Wolverine's 1st appearance)..... but you need to act quickly, before I come to my senses..... GOD BLESS...

hm I'll have my people call your people. lol;)

Revat, sorry to hear about the pooch. Hope all turns out well.

-J.

Anyone attempting to reason with Mr. Dog has already lost. In fact, you lost the moment you glanced at the thread title.

That's really what it comes down to, doesn't it?

"But, if you just explain it one more time. with irrefutable evidence and ironclad reason, then they'll get it and see their error."

Nope. It is literally, literally, as if Jaydog has said "the sky is green, with purple polka dots", and many, many others have said "no, it's blue", and laid out the clear, concise scientific reasons why, and Jay just alternates between repeating his position, as if no one had said anything, and claiming that they "hate the sky."

And then there are some enablers who say "well, neither side has proven anything" when A. there wasn't anything that could be proved in this discussion in the first place, and B. many, many pieces of misinformation from Jay have been corrected, by several people, with specific, precise, detailed facts and data.

It's all just brushed aside, as casually as the falls leaves are swept into the dustbin.

It's madness, on a scale not usually seen even on the internet. It's quite breathtaking, really.

Anyone attempting to reason with Mr. Dog has already lost. In fact, you lost the moment you glanced at the thread title.

Indeed. Especially if you have no facts and attempt to represent generalizations and theories as "facts", while ignoring the actual publicly available facts.

That happens a lot around here. lol

-J.

Wow.

:popcorn:

Not sure what you think that link is proving but oddly enough I messaged that seller about trying to buy the book

Did you get tricked into believing his lies about the print run?

:whee::whee::whee::whee::whee::whee::whee::whee:

No, but maybe the author of this well respected and often referenced website did: <3

http://recalledcomics.com/AmazingSpider-Man667DellOtto.php

-J.

As has been said before, "recalledcomics.com" frequently gets information incorrect, and are reticent to correct it.

"Well respected", they are not ("well" implying they are respected by many), and "often referenced" is questionable, since there's no indication what "often" means in this context.

That, and they take people's scans and post them on their site without permission.