• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

Maybe there are many collectors who didn't get this book slabbed, I know crazy right!

lol

A what point did you put it in a mylar/fullback though?

:popcorn:

Right away, after I read it of course.

Oak, if you actually own this book, post it so I can add you to the club. (thumbs u

-J.

Maybe there are many collectors who didn't get this book slabbed, I know crazy right!

lol

Oak, if you actually own this book, post it so I can add you to the club. (thumbs u

-J.

I do have to laugh whenever you post this. There are some in this discussion that own it. ;)

Why don't you believe there may be a warehouse? Do you believe all comics sell through?

No. But I don't believe Marvel is storing millions of back issues in some warehouse either. That is a ridiculous myth and would be a spectacular waste of money and space.

RMA insists on using Spiderman #1 is an example and that is ridiculous. The book was printed in the millions, even the "rare variant" had a print run in the tens of thousands.

To compare that and imply that something similar "could" happen or is even a remote possibility to a book with a print run of as a few as a couple hundred copies is absurdist conjecturing.

-J.

So, do they sell through? If they are not warehousing then what?

Right!

Completely ignoring the book's extraordinary values, maybe this is really is the ONE TIME and the ONE BOOK where that didn't happen in the CGC era. lol

Of course that wouldn't explain why virtually no copies ever come up for sale either slabbed or raw though... hm

Ah, the conundrum!

-J.

With all that said. I love this book,and happy that it's a part of my complete ASM run.

J. I am in awe of your Sig. line.

Why don't you believe there may be a warehouse? Do you believe all comics sell through?

No. But I don't believe Marvel is storing millions of back issues in some warehouse either. That is a ridiculous myth and would be a spectacular waste of money and space.

RMA insists on using Spiderman #1 is an example and that is ridiculous. The book was printed in the millions, even the "rare variant" had a print run in the tens of thousands.

To compare that and imply that something similar "could" happen or is even a remote possibility to a book with a print run of as a few as a couple hundred copies is absurdist conjecturing.

-J.

So, do they sell through? If they are not warehousing then what?

Whoa did I just make your sig line?

I am honored. :banana:

But unfortunately I cannot answer your question without engaging and completely unfounded speculation. However I would "speculate" that a severe over printing of books probably are stored somewhere temporarily, given out to employees as Christmas bonuses, sold on the secondary market through some source or sources that we will never know about, pulped and destroyed, put in 5 packs, etc. Who knows man. Anything in the world is "possible", but if you or anyone else is under the fantastical belief that this will happen with the ASM 667....well good luck with that. lol

-J.

The sig line seemed appropriate. So it's cheaper to destroy stock or give it away than to warehouse? Seems like selling it would make the most sense.

You're coming from a position that Marvel does not print to order. That being the case, I can see why you would say this.

I am operating under the presumption that Marvel is quite precise with their print runs, especially this day and age, when margins are already very thin, and that over stock is a rarity.

That's just speculation of course. ;)

-J.

I think we are all taking this website a little too seriously, on both sides. Whoever posts this clearly understands they are making guesstimates and the numbers provided are fairly close to Diamond records (for the purposes of the information as it is presented: 150k is analogous to 139k - particularly because Diamond numbers are not unassailable data either). There is clearly a bit of an agenda here, but it seems to be innocuous enough. However there does not appear to be blatant disregard of "facts" as some are asserting, but rather conjecture around small amounts of public data routed in the passion of the writer for modern variants and the like.

Just because someone disagrees with the interpretation doesn't mean the owner of this site is completely incorrect. This is especially true when many additional factors that the writer did not claim to include are added for the purposes of making counter arguments and assaults on "journalistic liberties" or "exaggerations" are positioned to completely discredit the articles all together. I find the last point particularly hypocritical given that many posters on this topic are known for their "flowery and/or intentionally inflamatory prose."

All data surrounding this topic is subject to interpretation because none of it is 100% verifiable. Can we please just move on...?

recalledcomics.com

Notes:

[1] Quantities of comics are estimates of what was printed and distributed world-wide; as most publishers do not disclose actual print run data these are just estimates and should be treated as such. Also the number that actually exist today will likely be smaller and, in some cases, much smaller.

[2] Prices are just a guide and may be out-of-date so best to check other guides and realized sales from both auction sites and comic shops as well for a more accurate measure of current value.

[3] Information is as accurate as possible at the time of publication but there may be some mistakes; if you note any problems with the content of any pages please get in touch. Many thanks!

lol

-J.

I do have to laugh whenever you post this. There are some in this discussion that own it. ;)

At this point, seeing is believing.

(No offense Oak, but I've been waiting to add you to the club since I started it, put it up brother! Thanks for the ups on the sig line by the way. A little birdie told me that yours is due for a "mighty" update. ;))

-J.

lol

-J.

(No offense Oak, but I've been waiting to add you to the club since I started it, put it up brother! Thanks for the ups on the sig line by the way. A little birdie told me that yours is due for a "mighty" update. ;))

-J.

:cloud9: a few new ones yes,slow but sure is my motto.

I think we are all taking this website a little too seriously, on both sides. Whoever posts this clearly understands they are making guesstimates and the numbers provided are fairly close to Diamond records (for the purposes of the information as it is presented: 150k is analogous to 139k - particularly because Diamond numbers are not unassailable data either). There is clearly a bit of an agenda here, but it seems to be innocuous enough. However there does not appear to be blatant disregard of "facts" as some are asserting, but rather conjecture around small amounts of public data routed in the passion of the writer for modern variants and the like.

Just because someone disagrees with the interpretation doesn't mean the owner of this site is completely incorrect. This is especially true when many additional factors that the writer did not claim to include are added for the purposes of making counter arguments and assaults on "journalistic liberties" or "exaggerations" are positioned to completely discredit the articles all together. I find the last point particularly hypocritical given that many posters on this topic are known for their "flowery and/or intentionally inflamatory prose."

All data surrounding this topic is subject to interpretation because none of it is 100% verifiable. Can we please just move on...?

recalledcomics.com

Notes:

[1] Quantities of comics are estimates of what was printed and distributed world-wide; as most publishers do not disclose actual print run data these are just estimates and should be treated as such. Also the number that actually exist today will likely be smaller and, in some cases, much smaller.

[2] Prices are just a guide and may be out-of-date so best to check other guides and realized sales from both auction sites and comic shops as well for a more accurate measure of current value.

[3] Information is as accurate as possible at the time of publication but there may be some mistakes; if you note any problems with the content of any pages please get in touch. Many thanks!

Of course, we should move on...this was all covered last March.

:acclaim:

This really seems like someone trying to hawk something as rare that really isn't as rare as the item actually is.

...or back in the real world it is an appreciation thread about a well documented rare book.

Nit-pick, but do you mean "a book whose rarity is well documented"? Because, again, that's not the case. It's well documented that it appears very rarely. It is neither "well documented rare" nor "a book whose rarity is well documented."

To document the rarity of the book, well or otherwise, you would have to know the extant copies, or the print run, or some other positive proof that the book is actually (not theoretically) rare.

These statements do not therefore presume the book is NOT rare...simply that its degree of rarity has not been established.

If you disagree, do please advise us when you track one down. That was, after all, one of the points of the thread anyway. (thumbs u

False dichotomy. Presumes that if the book can be tracked down, it must not be rare, and if it cannot be tracked down, that proves its rarity.

There are other options for not being able to track one down.

recalledcomics.com

Notes:

Well said. I have personally found the site to be quite a useful tool in identifying the ultra rare variants and other seldom seen oddities that I like to put into my "secondary collection" so to speak.

Also, if anyone believes any information to be inaccurate, all you have to do is email him and if your revised info checks out he will change the site. He updates it all the time. (thumbs u

And agreed, I think this discussion has more than run its course as all theories, thoughts, and opinions have been thoroughly vetted at this point. :acclaim:

-J.

lol

-J.

-J.

:cloud9: a few new ones yes,slow but sure is my motto.

You must have quite the backlog by now since you never sell anything either. lol

It may take a full minute for your sig line to do a complete scroll through by the time you're done! (worship)

-J.

Point of clarity, don't variant orders come at the "option" of the ordering shop?

Meaning if you order 100 regular copies of regular 667 by the FOC date of 7/18 you got the "option" to order one Dell-Otto variant 667?

Also, weren't there two variants for 667, the first being the FF Aniversary that had no limit as long as you exceeded orders on 658 with 667?

Which they did by over 10k right, so they could have had as many FF Aniversary variants as they wanted but had to hit thresholds for the Dell-Otto variant? Is the double up on variants with very different availability criteria typical?

diamond

I don't know what I am even posting at this point.... :shrug:

No one said anything about Marvel "storing millions of back issues in some warehouse either." It can't be a "myth" if no one suggested it.

Is that a reasonable thing to claim people have said...?

But....Mile High stores millions of back issues in their warehouses, and they don't think it's a spectacular waste of money and space. Now, I am only speaking to the storage of millions of back issues being a "spectacular waste of money and space"; I'm not suggesting that Marvel does it, too, or has ever done it...only that it is POSSIBLE.

False analogy. The print run of Spiderman #1 (regular, silver, bagged, gold) is not relevant to the print run of Spiderman #1 Platinum, which was a retailer incentive, and there were only about 10,000 (not "tens of thousands")

So, bringing up "the book was printed in the millions", and calling the example "ridiculous" is dismissive and erroneous. The regular versions have nothing to do with this conversation.

Now...the 10,000 figure isn't documented....but, it's been accepted for 25+ years. Even "recalledcomics.com" cites that number, as well as the "3,000 sold off in bulk later" (I didn't get that information from them. I don't get ANY information from them. They aren't reliable.)

Understand the point being made: Marvel warehoused around 3,000 copies of Spiderman #1 Platinum for 15 years.

I'm going to say this again, because it bears repeating: Marvel warehoused around 3,000 copies of Spiderman #1 Platinum for 15 years.

If Marvel could store 3,000 copies of the Spiderman #1 Platinum, what is stopping them from storing a couple of hundred copies of any other retailer incentive? Or Diamond doing the same?

We KNOW they store some of them, because of the retailer incentive selling program they have.

So, you can claim that I am making "the exact opposite argument" about ASM #361, which was printed in the hundreds of thousands, in comparison to ASM #667, but....the 10,000 print run of Spiderman #1 Platinum, that's not the same at all....?

Very interesting.

-J.

That is contrary to reason. If Marvel could store 3,000 copies of a 1990 book...and they did....for 15 years...and they did....it is well within the realm of reason to imagine they could store several hundred copies of any other book.

And you keep saying "as few as a couple hundred copies"...where does that number come from, and why do you keep repeating it?

If I say "as many as a couple thousand copies", will you challenge that? On what basis? "They're not on the market or the census, so that can't possible be true!"...? Several people have already shown how that is a false dichotomy.

What does everyone here do for a living? I just logged back in and there is like 20 pages of ongoing dialogue.... Who can do this at work?

JDog, whatever you do and can afford your sig line - I want in!

..... most of them are pimps, male prostitutes, card sharks, pool hustlers, and......... I almost forgot, Lawyers. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

lol

I think you should start your own website.

And then you can be the first to alert the masses when that warehouse, office, backyard, tool shack, five pack, box of fruit loops, etc. find actually happens. (thumbs u

Talk about baseless speculation and theories...

Wowzers! :ohnoez:

-J.

Very well said.

And once again, this has nothing to do with saying the book ISN'T rare - it very well may be, and currently is very difficult to find - but probably NOT because it was underordered through the means laid out here.

Both of those posts, one right after the other, referring to my exact same post.

Interesting, no?

They can't both be correct, can they....?

hm

Talk about baseless speculation and theories...

By the way, there wasn't any "baseless speculation and theories" in that post. That was an analysis of "recalledcomics.com";s ASM #667 page, and only pointed out what was, not what might be.

If you see any speculation or theory, baseless or otherwise, please feel free to point it out.

Point of clarity, don't variant orders come at the "option" of the ordering shop?

Meaning if you order 100 regular copies of regular 667 by the FOC date of 7/18 you got the "option" to order one Dell-Otto variant 667?

Also, weren't there two variants for 667, the first being the FF Aniversary that had no limit as long as you exceeded orders on 658 with 667?

Which they did by over 10k right, so they could have had as many FF Aniversary variants as they wanted but had to hit thresholds for the Dell-Otto variant? Is the double up on variants with very different availability criteria typical?

diamond

That's a good question.

I've always been under the impression that the variant was automatically included once a shop "hit their numbers".

Yes there was another variant for the issue, as well as, interestingly enough, a second printing. hm

-J.

diamond

That's a good question.

I've always been under the impression that the variant was automatically included once a shop "hit their numbers".

Yes there was another variant for the issue, as well as, interestingly enough, a second printing. hm

-J.

I must have missed the unrestricted order ability of the FF variant versus the 1:100 of the Dell-Otto if it was stated in the thread.

Again, not sure how unusual it is to have multiple variants with different order qualifications on the same issue.

From Diamond:

"Marvel Announces Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’Otto Variant

ASM #667 Dell'otto VariantMarvel Comics has announced a new 1:100 Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’otto Variant, making this chapter in the much anticipated “Spider-Island” storyline all the more exciting.

Retailers may order one copy of the Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’Otto Variant (MAY118321D, $3.99) for every 100 copies of the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) ordered by its FOC date of Monday, July 18. Please note that the original FOC for issue #667 was July 11, but it has been changed to July 18.

This new variant is in addition to the previously announced Amazing Spider-Man #667 FF Anniversary Variant (JUN110623D, $3.99) by Stephanie Hans. Exceed your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #658 (FEB110551D, $3.99) with your orders for the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) by its FOC date, and you may order as many copies of the FF Anniversary Variant as you wish.

You can also pick up your copies of the regular edition of issue #667 at reduced net costs with the following pricing offer:

Exceed 200% of your total orders for Amazing Spider-Man #665 (MAY110628D) placed by its FOC with your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) placed by its current FOC of July 18, and all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 ordered by the FOC will be billed at a net price of $1.25.

-OR-

Exceed 150% of your total orders for Amazing Spider-Man #665 (MAY110628D) placed by its FOC with your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) placed by its current FOC of July 18, and all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 ordered by the FOC will be billed at a net price of $1.50.

In addition to this offer, you also still have time to qualify to receive great discounts on or free copies of other Spider-Island comics. Click here for details.

This summer, Peter Parker comes to the startling realization that he’s only one of several million people with spider-powers! As the infestation becomes an epidemic, can Spider-Man, with the help of Earth’s Mightiest, find a cure?"