• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

Point of clarity, don't variant orders come at the "option" of the ordering shop?

Meaning if you order 100 regular copies of regular 667 by the FOC date of 7/18 you got the "option" to order one Dell-Otto variant 667?

Also, weren't there two variants for 667, the first being the FF Aniversary that had no limit as long as you exceeded orders on 658 with 667?

Which they did by over 10k right, so they could have had as many FF Aniversary variants as they wanted but had to hit thresholds for the Dell-Otto variant? Is the double up on variants with very different availability criteria typical?

diamond

I don't know what I am even posting at this point.... :shrug:

That's a good question.

I've always been under the impression that the variant was automatically included once a shop "hit their numbers".

Yes there was another variant for the issue, as well as, interestingly enough, a second printing. hm

-J.

I must have missed the unrestricted order ability of the FF variant versus the 1:100 of the Dell-Otto if it was stated in the thread.

Again, not sure how unusual it is to have multiple variants with different order qualifications on the same issue.

From Diamond:

"Marvel Announces Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’Otto Variant

ASM #667 Dell'otto VariantMarvel Comics has announced a new 1:100 Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’otto Variant, making this chapter in the much anticipated “Spider-Island” storyline all the more exciting.

Retailers may order one copy of the Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’Otto Variant (MAY118321D, $3.99) for every 100 copies of the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) ordered by its FOC date of Monday, July 18. Please note that the original FOC for issue #667 was July 11, but it has been changed to July 18.

This new variant is in addition to the previously announced Amazing Spider-Man #667 FF Anniversary Variant (JUN110623D, $3.99) by Stephanie Hans. Exceed your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #658 (FEB110551D, $3.99) with your orders for the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) by its FOC date, and you may order as many copies of the FF Anniversary Variant as you wish.

You can also pick up your copies of the regular edition of issue #667 at reduced net costs with the following pricing offer:

Exceed 200% of your total orders for Amazing Spider-Man #665 (MAY110628D) placed by its FOC with your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) placed by its current FOC of July 18, and all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 ordered by the FOC will be billed at a net price of $1.25.

-OR-

Exceed 150% of your total orders for Amazing Spider-Man #665 (MAY110628D) placed by its FOC with your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) placed by its current FOC of July 18, and all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 ordered by the FOC will be billed at a net price of $1.50.

In addition to this offer, you also still have time to qualify to receive great discounts on or free copies of other Spider-Island comics. Click here for details.

This summer, Peter Parker comes to the startling realization that he’s only one of several million people with spider-powers! As the infestation becomes an epidemic, can Spider-Man, with the help of Earth’s Mightiest, find a cure?"

Reading that again it does appear that ordering 100+ copies does indeed only give retailers the option of also ordering the variant.

So it is also conceivable, if not likely, that few retailers just did not see fit to pony up the extra cash to get the variant, even if they ordered 100+ of the regular covers. hm

And no not all variants are incentive based from my understanding.

-J.

FYI - "world-wide" language is used by Diamond and Marvel to describe their relationship:

for kicks

"Additionally, Marvel will extend its relationship with Diamond, continuing its commitment to comic shops worldwide. Gabriel explained, “Diamond Book Distributors has been very instrumental in the growth of our graphic novel business, nearly tripling our sales in the book market over the last five years, and we thank them for their efforts. The decision to switch book market distributors was a very difficult one but as evidenced by the extension of our Direct Market agreement, our working relationship with Diamond remains very close. We remain extremely appreciative of our Direct Market retailers and continue to grow that vital market.”

Not the retailer incentive variant discussion again?

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Ok, won't rehash anything again.

Are all variants retailer incentives though?

I'm kidding, I don't care if it gets discussed again - there was some good info posted by Chuck and Larry in particular in the pages (and pages) preceding the link in my last post. I think any information that brings clarity to the process is probably good for collectors since e-bay sellers just put whatever they want on their listings these days.

(shrug)

Not the retailer incentive variant discussion again?

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Ok, won't rehash anything again.

Are all variants retailer incentives though?

I'm kidding, I don't care if it gets discussed again - there was some good info posted by Chuck and Larry in particular in the pages (and pages) preceding the link in my last post. I think any information that brings clarity to the process is probably good for collectors since e-bay sellers just put whatever they want on their listings these days.

(shrug)

So many pages..... :sorry:

Good info though, still very hard to sift through fact and conjecture when strong experiential knowledge and persuasive posting style masks it so well. :grin:

I don't really care for the 666 variant burnout position, but I do feel like multiple variants with one being much harder to obtain for sale (the Dell-Otto), is an interesting twist. Retailers are all about initial sale and a "variant" is a "variant" so why not order up on the one that is easier to get?

Maybe, maybe not...

I think we are all taking this website a little too seriously, on both sides. Whoever posts this clearly understands they are making guesstimates and the numbers provided are fairly close to Diamond records (for the purposes of the information as it is presented: 150k is analogous to 139k - particularly because Diamond numbers are not unassailable data either). There is clearly a bit of an agenda here, but it seems to be innocuous enough. However there does not appear to be blatant disregard of "facts" as some are asserting, but rather conjecture around small amounts of public data routed in the passion of the writer for modern variants and the like.

Just because someone disagrees with the interpretation doesn't mean the owner of this site is completely incorrect. This is especially true when many additional factors that the writer did not claim to include are added for the purposes of making counter arguments and assaults on "journalistic liberties" or "exaggerations" are positioned to completely discredit the articles all together. I find the last point particularly hypocritical given that many posters on this topic are known for their "flowery and/or intentionally inflamatory prose."

All data surrounding this topic is subject to interpretation because none of it is 100% verifiable. Can we please just move on...?

Well said. I have personally found the site to be quite a useful tool in identifying the ultra rare variants and other seldom seen oddities that I like to put into my "secondary collection" so to speak.

Also, if anyone believes any information to be inaccurate, all you have to do is email him and if your revised info checks out he will change the site. He updates it all the time. (thumbs u

And agreed, I think this discussion has more than run its course as all theories, thoughts, and opinions have been thoroughly vetted at this point. :acclaim:

-J.

The problem with "recalledcomics.com" isn't that he (whoever "he" is) will correct errors when you inform him of them...it's that there are so many errors in the first place, errors that are built on presumption and supposition, much like your theories, that don't hold up to any scrutiny, and are easily fact-checked in this age of Google.

Why is it important to be accurate? Because people read these things, and then make financial decisions based on these (mis)understandings, decisions that can (and do) hurt them.

I certainly made bad decisions because I relied on bad information that I didn't know was bad, in a time before the internet existed. I bought an ASM #100 for $30 back in 1990, and I was told it was "Near Mint." I didn't know any better, and assumed the store owner knew what he was talking about...he owned a store, after all...and when I got it graded last year, AFTER I professionally pressed it, it graded an 8.0....a grade I was expecting, having learned better in the interim, but still...I relied on information, and paid $30 for a book that wasn't what was advertised...whether the owner knew it or not...when I COULD have spent that $30....or maybe less...on a book that would have actually graded out at NM 24 years later, without the need for a press.

$30 was a lot of money to a high school senior.

And, if I had known better, perhaps I could have had a book that was worth 4-5 times what it ended up being worth, for that same investment. After all....I paid full guide, at the "mint" price, for that copy....again, based on misinformation.

That's why information needs to be accurate.

People are free to make "guesstimates"....but that should be done with the very clear and unambiguous statement that they ARE "guesstimates", and not couched as fact. And, it is vital to provide context...I suspect that someone reading that, without prior knowledge, would have absolutely no idea what the situation with the store variants and #666 was....and that context is VITAL to understanding what happened with these issues.

But...not a word. Not a peep about it. Half the information is completely missing from this page, which results in a completely inaccurate picture of the situation...and not a word is mentioned. Half the story is missing, which paints a completely inaccurate picture of the situation, and yet this is dismissed as "journalistic liberty" and "factors the writer did not claim to include"...what? How do you not include pertinent facts, and then excuse the writer by saying "well, he didn't CLAIM to include those facts!" as if that makes the exclusion of pertinent information perfectly legitimate...?

Facts? Who needs facts? That's about as blatant a disregarding of the facts as there is. If you're missing half the information, I think that does a pretty fine job of discrediting yourself, without the need for anyone to do it for you.

One final logical, reasonable point: if this discussion has "run its course", and people should "move on"....then is there anything stopping anyone who expresses those ideas from doing just that?

Point of clarity, don't variant orders come at the "option" of the ordering shop?

Meaning if you order 100 regular copies of regular 667 by the FOC date of 7/18 you got the "option" to order one Dell-Otto variant 667?

Also, weren't there two variants for 667, the first being the FF Aniversary that had no limit as long as you exceeded orders on 658 with 667?

Which they did by over 10k right, so they could have had as many FF Aniversary variants as they wanted but had to hit thresholds for the Dell-Otto variant? Is the double up on variants with very different availability criteria typical?

diamond

That's a good question.

I've always been under the impression that the variant was automatically included once a shop "hit their numbers".

Yes there was another variant for the issue, as well as, interestingly enough, a second printing. hm

-J.

I must have missed the unrestricted order ability of the FF variant versus the 1:100 of the Dell-Otto if it was stated in the thread.

Again, not sure how unusual it is to have multiple variants with different order qualifications on the same issue.

From Diamond:

ASM #667 Dell'otto VariantMarvel Comics has announced a new 1:100 Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’otto Variant, making this chapter in the much anticipated “Spider-Island” storyline all the more exciting.

Retailers may order one copy of the Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’Otto Variant (MAY118321D, $3.99) for every 100 copies of the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) ordered by its FOC date of Monday, July 18. Please note that the original FOC for issue #667 was July 11, but it has been changed to July 18.

This new variant is in addition to the previously announced Amazing Spider-Man #667 FF Anniversary Variant (JUN110623D, $3.99) by Stephanie Hans. Exceed your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #658 (FEB110551D, $3.99) with your orders for the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) by its FOC date, and you may order as many copies of the FF Anniversary Variant as you wish.

You can also pick up your copies of the regular edition of issue #667 at reduced net costs with the following pricing offer:

Exceed 200% of your total orders for Amazing Spider-Man #665 (MAY110628D) placed by its FOC with your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) placed by its current FOC of July 18, and all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 ordered by the FOC will be billed at a net price of $1.25.

-OR-

Exceed 150% of your total orders for Amazing Spider-Man #665 (MAY110628D) placed by its FOC with your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) placed by its current FOC of July 18, and all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 ordered by the FOC will be billed at a net price of $1.50.

In addition to this offer, you also still have time to qualify to receive great discounts on or free copies of other Spider-Island comics. Click here for details.

This summer, Peter Parker comes to the startling realization that he’s only one of several million people with spider-powers! As the infestation becomes an epidemic, can Spider-Man, with the help of Earth’s Mightiest, find a cure?"

Reading that again it does appear that ordering 100+ copies does indeed only give retailers the option of also ordering the variant.

So it is also conceivable, if not likely, that few retailers just did not see fit to pony up the extra cash to get the variant, even if they ordered 100+ of the regular covers. hm

-J.

Why would it be "conceivable, if not likely" that a retailer would choose to pass on the incentive variant when Marvel is slashing the price of the regular issue to help retailers order to hit the ratio? The sales figures seem to support the fact that many took advantage of these bargain prices to increase orders.

Why don't you believe there may be a warehouse? Do you believe all comics sell through?

No. But I don't believe Marvel is storing millions of back issues in some warehouse either. That is a ridiculous myth and would be a spectacular waste of money and space.

RMA insists on using Spiderman #1 is an example and that is ridiculous. The book was printed in the millions, even the "rare variant" had a print run in the tens of thousands.

To compare that and imply that something similar "could" happen or is even a remote possibility to a book with a print run of as a few as a couple hundred copies is absurdist conjecturing.

-J.

So, do they sell through? If they are not warehousing then what?

Whoa did I just make your sig line?

I am honored. :banana:

But unfortunately I cannot answer your question without engaging and completely unfounded speculation. However I would "speculate" that a severe over printing of books probably are stored somewhere temporarily, given out to employees as Christmas bonuses, sold on the secondary market through some source or sources that we will never know about, pulped and destroyed, put in 5 packs, etc. Who knows man. Anything in the world is "possible", but if you or anyone else is under the fantastical belief that this will happen with the ASM 667....well good luck with that. lol

-J.

Not much unfounded speculation to it....

At SDCC this year as a part of our Diamond Thank You pack, we got Sandman Overture #1 sketch covers (1:100 AND 1:200), Superman Unchained #1 Jim Lee Sketch covers (1:300!!) - both 2 years old, Multiversity #1 1:100 ((9 months old) but stored somewhere during that time.... that's just the one's I remember right off the top of my head...

They had to give out close to 500 of those....

NOT SAYING that is what happened with ASM 667, JUST SAYING there is a much more likely possibility than what you've laid out.....

Once again, if you understand the process, you can see more clearly how some disbelief exists for it to be short printed....

diamond

That's a good question.

-J.

From Diamond:

-OR-

-J.

Why would it be "conceivable, if not likely" that a retailer would choose to pass on the incentive variant when Marvel is slashing the price of the regular issue to help retailers order to hit the ratio? The sales figures seem to support the fact that many took advantage of these bargain prices to increase orders.

I agree, it is more likely that they took advantage of a variant. But with two out there and one with an unlimited supply versus a 1:100 does beg the question: what did they actually order?

diamond

That's a good question.

-J.

From Diamond:

-OR-

-J.

Marvel only "slashed" the price if retailers exceeded their orders by 150-200%. Not an inconsequential sum.

Anyway I've had enough of this. When you find an enormous cache of this crazy rare book "stored" somewhere do let us know. I, and more than a few readers of this thread will be eager and willing buyers.

But this particular conversation is at an end as far as I'm concerned.

-J.

Why don't you believe there may be a warehouse? Do you believe all comics sell through?

No. But I don't believe Marvel is storing millions of back issues in some warehouse either. That is a ridiculous myth and would be a spectacular waste of money and space.

RMA insists on using Spiderman #1 is an example and that is ridiculous. The book was printed in the millions, even the "rare variant" had a print run in the tens of thousands.

To compare that and imply that something similar "could" happen or is even a remote possibility to a book with a print run of as a few as a couple hundred copies is absurdist conjecturing.

-J.

But unfortunately I cannot answer your question without engaging and completely unfounded speculation. However I would "speculate" that a severe over printing of books probably are stored somewhere temporarily, given out to employees as Christmas bonuses, sold on the secondary market through some source or sources that we will never know about, pulped and destroyed, put in 5 packs, etc. Who knows man. Anything in the world is "possible", but if you or anyone else is under the fantastical belief that this will happen with the ASM 667....well good luck with that. lol

-J.

The sig line seemed appropriate. So it's cheaper to destroy stock or give it away than to warehouse? Seems like selling it would make the most sense.

You're coming from a position that Marvel does not print to order. That being the case, I can see why you would say this.

I am operating under the presumption that Marvel is quite precise with their print runs, especially this day and age, when margins are already very thin, and that over stock is a rarity.

That's just speculation of course. ;)

-J.

A 2 1/2 month old variant of Spidey still in stock!

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-02%20at%2011.31.54%20PM_zpsomutnczm.png

-J.

-J.

At SDCC this year as a part of our Diamond Thank You pack, we got Sandman Overture #1 sketch covers (1:100 AND 1:200), Superman Unchained #1 Jim Lee Sketch covers (1:300!!) - both 2 years old, Multiversity #1 1:100 ((9 months old) but stored somewhere during that time.... that's just the one's I remember right off the top of my head...

NOT SAYING that is what happened with ASM 667, JUST SAYING there is a much more likely possibility than what you've laid out.....

Once again, if you understand the process, you can see more clearly how some disbelief exists for it to be short printed....

This is always a risk with modern books right?

Probably a far cry from a "warehouse full" and definitely more likely to happen on #1 issues or very popular artist covers variants (not sure if Dell-Otto qualifies or not).

Interestingly those are all DC titles as well...

Having already doubled down on the 666 it certainly appears that many, many stores backed off on their subsequent orders for 667 and opted not to order enough batches of the regular 667 to qualify for the incentive.

Except, of course, that when the store variants are taken out of the order numbers for #666, there were fewer copies of #666 ordered than #667.

And, of course, only 140 stores, of the estimated 1,000-2,000 in North America, participated in the #666 store variants. What about the others? They apparently didn't "back off", because they had no reason to.

Interesting, no?

By the way....500 additional copies for some stores, especially some of the names participating, is not much.

Does that clarify it enough to your liking ? :eyeroll:

Why do you need to eyeroll people who aren't being rude to you? Why do you need to be so dismissive of people, just for disagreeing with you?

Yes, that's how 1:X incentive variants work.

It is absolutely possible. Not very likely, since the store owner would probably have to really dislike variants and/or have no customers interested in buying them despite having enough customers to order enough to qualify. And even selling the variant at cover price would yield the same profit as a regular copy.

diamond

That's a good question.

-J.

From Diamond:

-OR-

-J.

I agree, it is more likely that they took advantage of a variant. But with two out there and one with an unlimited supply versus a 1:100 does beg the question: what did they actually order?

No big retailer orders 100 of a book and then passes on another $2.00 copy of the 1:100. Now you're just being silly.

Those 1:100's sell for $40 and up straight out of the box, they aren't going to pass that up.

diamond

That's a good question.

-J.

From Diamond:

-OR-

-J.

No big retailer orders 100 of a book and then passes on another $2.00 copy of the 1:100. Now you're just being silly.

Those 1:100's sell for $40 and up straight out of the box, they aren't going to pass that up.

Maybe, probably. But I am sleeping now, so who knows!

-J.

-J.

This is always a risk with modern books right?

Probably a far cry from a "warehouse full" and definitely more likely to happen on #1 issues or very popular artist covers variants (not sure if Dell-Otto qualifies or not).

Interestingly those are all DC titles as well...

Interesting observation on that.... hm

Night!

-J.

The FF variant is really common so I would bet that FF variant accounts for a decent percentage of the sold numbers, maybe as high as 10% - that could bring this issue's 'regular cover numbers' in line with others from that era - the FF variant orders count in the sold numbers but don't contribute to retailer incentive quotas that helps reduce the distribution ratios of the retailer incentive variant.

(shrug)

That's a far more likely hypothesis for reducing the number of retailer incentive issues that would have been distributed - I certainly like it better than variant burnout or making a false comparison to the bloated 666 sales figures.

diamond

That's a good question.

-J.

From Diamond:

"Marvel Announces Amazing Spider-Man #667 DellOtto Variant

ASM #667 Dell'otto VariantMarvel Comics has announced a new 1:100 Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dellotto Variant, making this chapter in the much anticipated Spider-Island storyline all the more exciting.

Retailers may order one copy of the Amazing Spider-Man #667 DellOtto Variant (MAY118321D, $3.99) for every 100 copies of the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) ordered by its FOC date of Monday, July 18. Please note that the original FOC for issue #667 was July 11, but it has been changed to July 18.

-OR-

This summer, Peter Parker comes to the startling realization that hes only one of several million people with spider-powers! As the infestation becomes an epidemic, can Spider-Man, with the help of Earths Mightiest, find a cure?"

-J.

Marvel only "slashed" the price if retailers exceeded their orders by 150-200%. Not an inconsequential sum.

If the regular retailer price of the book is $2....rough estimate, here....and they order 100% of their orders for #665....then, if they ordered, say, 150 copies of ASM #665....and they ordered 150 copies of ASM #667....that means it cost them $300 net, plus they could get one 1:100 variant of #667.

But, if they ordered 200% of their orders for #665....that means they ordered 300 copies of #667....it would have cost them $375, and they could get 3 copies of ASM #667 1:100.

So, for $75 more, they not only get another 150 copies of AM #667 to sell at a $3.99 price point, but they could buy 3 copies of the 1:100 variant....which would, if they sold them at $25 each, make the extra 150 copies have a net ZERO additional cost.

Or, if you want to count the first 1:100 copy, it cost them $25 additional for 150 copies...copies which they could sell at $3.99 minus whatever discount they had...theoretically bringing in another $600 on top.

Maybe THAT'S why issue #667s numbers were 71k to 73k, while #665s were only 57k, a 25%+ increase!

Maybe, in fact, contrary to the "generally accepted theory", issue #667s sales were MUCH HIGHER than every other issue, BECAUSE of this particular variant program.

hm

Anyway I've had enough of this. When you find an enormous cache of this crazy rare book "stored" somewhere do let us know.

They did....New Dimension found 3,000 copies of Spiderman #1 Platinum in 2005, at Marvel.

Also, several books thought to be very rare have also been found in warehouses over the decades, including Major Inapak, Space Ace #1.

I, and more than a few readers of this thread will be eager and willing buyers.

But this particular conversation is at an end as far as I'm concerned.

-J.

I hope so.