• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

Anyway I've had enough of this. When you find an enormous cache of this crazy rare book "stored" somewhere do let us know.

They did....New Dimension found 3,000 copies of Spiderman #1 Platinum in 2005, at Marvel.

Also, several books thought to be very rare have also been found in warehouses over the decades, including Major Inapak, Space Ace #1.

Warehouse find... now 1000's in near mint all over... once a rare book!

695417.jpg

Point of clarity, don't variant orders come at the "option" of the ordering shop?

Meaning if you order 100 regular copies of regular 667 by the FOC date of 7/18 you got the "option" to order one Dell-Otto variant 667?

Also, weren't there two variants for 667, the first being the FF Aniversary that had no limit as long as you exceeded orders on 658 with 667?

Which they did by over 10k right, so they could have had as many FF Aniversary variants as they wanted but had to hit thresholds for the Dell-Otto variant? Is the double up on variants with very different availability criteria typical?

diamond

I don't know what I am even posting at this point.... :shrug:

That's a good question.

I've always been under the impression that the variant was automatically included once a shop "hit their numbers".

Yes there was another variant for the issue, as well as, interestingly enough, a second printing. hm

-J.

I must have missed the unrestricted order ability of the FF variant versus the 1:100 of the Dell-Otto if it was stated in the thread.

Again, not sure how unusual it is to have multiple variants with different order qualifications on the same issue.

From Diamond:

"Marvel Announces Amazing Spider-Man #667 DellOtto Variant

ASM #667 Dell'otto VariantMarvel Comics has announced a new 1:100 Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dellotto Variant, making this chapter in the much anticipated Spider-Island storyline all the more exciting.

Retailers may order one copy of the Amazing Spider-Man #667 DellOtto Variant (MAY118321D, $3.99) for every 100 copies of the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) ordered by its FOC date of Monday, July 18. Please note that the original FOC for issue #667 was July 11, but it has been changed to July 18.

This new variant is in addition to the previously announced Amazing Spider-Man #667 FF Anniversary Variant (JUN110623D, $3.99) by Stephanie Hans. Exceed your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #658 (FEB110551D, $3.99) with your orders for the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) by its FOC date, and you may order as many copies of the FF Anniversary Variant as you wish.

You can also pick up your copies of the regular edition of issue #667 at reduced net costs with the following pricing offer:

Exceed 200% of your total orders for Amazing Spider-Man #665 (MAY110628D) placed by its FOC with your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) placed by its current FOC of July 18, and all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 ordered by the FOC will be billed at a net price of $1.25.

-OR-

Exceed 150% of your total orders for Amazing Spider-Man #665 (MAY110628D) placed by its FOC with your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) placed by its current FOC of July 18, and all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 ordered by the FOC will be billed at a net price of $1.50.

In addition to this offer, you also still have time to qualify to receive great discounts on or free copies of other Spider-Island comics. Click here for details.

This summer, Peter Parker comes to the startling realization that hes only one of several million people with spider-powers! As the infestation becomes an epidemic, can Spider-Man, with the help of Earths Mightiest, find a cure?"

Reading that again it does appear that ordering 100+ copies does indeed only give retailers the option of also ordering the variant.

So it is also conceivable, if not likely, that few retailers just did not see fit to pony up the extra cash to get the variant, even if they ordered 100+ of the regular covers. hm

And no not all variants are incentive based from my understanding.

-J.

Why would it be "conceivable, if not likely" that a retailer would choose to pass on the incentive variant when Marvel is slashing the price of the regular issue to help retailers order to hit the ratio? The sales figures seem to support the fact that many took advantage of these bargain prices to increase orders.

Marvel only "slashed" the price if retailers exceeded their orders by 150-200%. Not an inconsequential sum.

If the regular retailer price of the book is $2....rough estimate, here....and they order 100% of their orders for #665....then, if they ordered, say, 150 copies of ASM #665....and they ordered 150 copies of ASM #667....that means it cost them $300 net, plus they could get one 1:100 variant of #667.

But, if they ordered 200% of their orders for #665....that means they ordered 300 copies of #667....it would have cost them $375, and they could get 3 copies of ASM #667 1:100.

So, for $75 more, they not only get another 150 copies of AM #667 to sell at a $3.99 price point, but they could buy 3 copies of the 1:100 variant....which would, if they sold them at $25 each, make the extra 150 copies have a net ZERO additional cost.

Or, if you want to count the 1:100 copy, it cost them $25 additional for 150 copies...copies which they could sell at $3.99 minus whatever discount they had...theoretically bringing in another $600 on top.

Maybe THAT'S why issue #667s numbers were 71k to 73k, while #665s were only 57k, a 25%+ increase!

Maybe, in fact, contrary to the "generally accepted theory", issue #667s sales were MUCH HIGHER than every other issue, BECAUSE of this particular variant program.

hm

Anyway I've had enough of this. When you find an enormous cache of this crazy rare book "stored" somewhere do let us know.

They did....New Dimension found 3,000 copies of Spiderman #1 Platinum in 2005, at Marvel.

Also, several books thought to be very rare have also been found in warehouses over the decades, including Major Inapak, Space Ace #1.

I, and more than a few readers of this thread will be eager and willing buyers.

But this particular conversation is at an end as far as I'm concerned.

-J.

I hope so.

Are those more facts that you are citing for us?

Because it certainly looks like an opinion to me. A silly one at that. And contradictory to all the actual publicly available historical data.

So yes, I think you've made it very clear now that that you believe up is down, black is white, and ridiculously rare is common and falling from the trees.

Now hopefully this book that you do not own, have never seen in person, have never dealt with directly in any way, shape and form, yet you are so clearly and mind numbingly obsessed with will finally depart the forefront of your consciousness and allow you to go and live your life in peace.

Good talk. ;)

-J.

PS: And feel free to check back once that "warehouse" announcement is made. lol

Point of clarity, don't variant orders come at the "option" of the ordering shop?

Meaning if you order 100 regular copies of regular 667 by the FOC date of 7/18 you got the "option" to order one Dell-Otto variant 667?

Also, weren't there two variants for 667, the first being the FF Aniversary that had no limit as long as you exceeded orders on 658 with 667?

Which they did by over 10k right, so they could have had as many FF Aniversary variants as they wanted but had to hit thresholds for the Dell-Otto variant? Is the double up on variants with very different availability criteria typical?

diamond

That's a good question.

I've always been under the impression that the variant was automatically included once a shop "hit their numbers".

Yes there was another variant for the issue, as well as, interestingly enough, a second printing. hm

-J.

I must have missed the unrestricted order ability of the FF variant versus the 1:100 of the Dell-Otto if it was stated in the thread.

Again, not sure how unusual it is to have multiple variants with different order qualifications on the same issue.

From Diamond:

"Marvel Announces Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’Otto Variant

ASM #667 Dell'otto VariantMarvel Comics has announced a new 1:100 Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’otto Variant, making this chapter in the much anticipated “Spider-Island” storyline all the more exciting.

Retailers may order one copy of the Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell’Otto Variant (MAY118321D, $3.99) for every 100 copies of the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) ordered by its FOC date of Monday, July 18. Please note that the original FOC for issue #667 was July 11, but it has been changed to July 18.

This new variant is in addition to the previously announced Amazing Spider-Man #667 FF Anniversary Variant (JUN110623D, $3.99) by Stephanie Hans. Exceed your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #658 (FEB110551D, $3.99) with your orders for the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) by its FOC date, and you may order as many copies of the FF Anniversary Variant as you wish.

You can also pick up your copies of the regular edition of issue #667 at reduced net costs with the following pricing offer:

Exceed 200% of your total orders for Amazing Spider-Man #665 (MAY110628D) placed by its FOC with your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) placed by its current FOC of July 18, and all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 ordered by the FOC will be billed at a net price of $1.25.

-OR-

Exceed 150% of your total orders for Amazing Spider-Man #665 (MAY110628D) placed by its FOC with your orders for Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) placed by its current FOC of July 18, and all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 ordered by the FOC will be billed at a net price of $1.50.

In addition to this offer, you also still have time to qualify to receive great discounts on or free copies of other Spider-Island comics. Click here for details.

This summer, Peter Parker comes to the startling realization that he’s only one of several million people with spider-powers! As the infestation becomes an epidemic, can Spider-Man, with the help of Earth’s Mightiest, find a cure?"

Reading that again it does appear that ordering 100+ copies does indeed only give retailers the option of also ordering the variant.

So it is also conceivable, if not likely, that few retailers just did not see fit to pony up the extra cash to get the variant, even if they ordered 100+ of the regular covers. hm

-J.

Why would it be "conceivable, if not likely" that a retailer would choose to pass on the incentive variant when Marvel is slashing the price of the regular issue to help retailers order to hit the ratio? The sales figures seem to support the fact that many took advantage of these bargain prices to increase orders.

Marvel only "slashed" the price if retailers exceeded their orders by 150-200%. Not an inconsequential sum.

Anyway I've had enough of this. When you find an enormous cache of this crazy rare book "stored" somewhere do let us know. I, and more than a few readers of this thread will be eager and willing buyers.

-J.

:facepalm: No, exceeded by 50-100%

So, if a shop regularly ordered 100 copies (@ $2 each = $200), they could get 150 copies (@ $1.50 each = $225) or 200 copies (@ $1.25 each = $250)

Marvel was heavily incentivizing larger orders of 667. I guess that's why 667 (71000) was significantly higher than 665 (57000).

diamond

That's a good question.

-J.

From Diamond:

ASM #667 Dell'otto VariantMarvel Comics has announced a new 1:100 Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dellotto Variant, making this chapter in the much anticipated Spider-Island storyline all the more exciting.

Retailers may order one copy of the Amazing Spider-Man #667 DellOtto Variant (MAY118321D, $3.99) for every 100 copies of the regular Amazing Spider-Man #667 (JUN110622D, $3.99) ordered by its FOC date of Monday, July 18. Please note that the original FOC for issue #667 was July 11, but it has been changed to July 18.

-OR-

This summer, Peter Parker comes to the startling realization that hes only one of several million people with spider-powers! As the infestation becomes an epidemic, can Spider-Man, with the help of Earths Mightiest, find a cure?"

-J.

Anyway I've had enough of this. When you find an enormous cache of this crazy rare book "stored" somewhere do let us know. I, and more than a few readers of this thread will be eager and willing buyers.

-J.

:facepalm: No, exceeded by 50-100%

So, if a shop regularly ordered 100 copies (@ $2 each = $200), they could get 150 copies (@ $1.50 each = $225) or 200 copies (@ $1.25 each = $250)

Marvel was heavily incentivizing larger orders of 667. I guess that's why 667 (71000) was significantly higher than 665 (57000).

Hey! I just said that!

:sumo:

The FF variant is really common so I would bet that FF variant accounts for a decent percentage of the sold numbers, maybe as high as 10% - that could bring this issue's 'regular cover numbers' in line with others from that era - the FF variant orders count in the sold numbers but don't contribute to retailer incentive quotas that helps reduce the distribution ratios of the retailer incentive variant.

(shrug)

That's a far more likely hypothesis for reducing the number of retailer incentive issues that would have been distributed - I certainly like it better than variant burnout or making a false comparison to the bloated 666 sales figures.

Since this post represents a theory. my theory, of a possible reason and/or scenario that would explain a lower population of Dell'Otto variants distributed I would ask that recalledcomics.com or jaydogrules or any combination thereof give me proper credit if making reference to this theory in the future.

:D

diamond

That's a good question.

-J.

From Diamond:

-OR-

-J.

If the regular retailer price of the book is $2....rough estimate, here....and they order 100% of their orders for #665....then, if they ordered, say, 150 copies of ASM #665....and they ordered 150 copies of ASM #667....that means it cost them $300 net, plus they could get one 1:100 variant of #667.

But, if they ordered 200% of their orders for #665....that means they ordered 300 copies of #667....it would have cost them $375, and they could get 3 copies of ASM #667 1:100.

So, for $75 more, they not only get another 150 copies of AM #667 to sell at a $3.99 price point, but they could buy 3 copies of the 1:100 variant....which would, if they sold them at $25 each, make the extra 150 copies have a net ZERO additional cost.

Or, if you want to count the 1:100 copy, it cost them $25 additional for 150 copies...copies which they could sell at $3.99 minus whatever discount they had...theoretically bringing in another $600 on top.

Maybe THAT'S why issue #667s numbers were 71k to 73k, while #665s were only 57k, a 25%+ increase!

Maybe, in fact, contrary to the "generally accepted theory", issue #667s sales were MUCH HIGHER than every other issue, BECAUSE of this particular variant program.

hm

I, and more than a few readers of this thread will be eager and willing buyers.

-J.

I hope so.

Because it certainly looks like an opinion to me. A silly one at that. And contradictory to all the actual publicly available historical data.

So yes, I think you've made it very clear now that that you believe up is down, black is white, and ridiculously rare is common and falling from the trees.

Now hopefully this book that you do not own, have never seen in person, have never dealt with directly in any way, shape and form, yet you are so clearly and mind numbingly obsessed with will finally depart the forefront of your consciousness and allow you to go and live your life in peace.

Good talk. ;)

-J.

PS: And feel free to check back once that "warehouse" announcement is made. lol

hm

hm

If by "silly" you mean "reasonable", then yes.

I would ask you just exactly how it is "contradictory to all the actual publicly available historical data", but you won't answer direct questions.

"The sky is green with purple polka dots."

Now hopefully this book that you do not own, have never seen in person, have never dealt with directly in any way, shape and form,

You say things that you have absolutely no way of knowing, proving, or even claiming, as if they are absolute fact...you ought to understand that when you say these things, people view you as if you are not sane, and will treat what you say as not sane. If the people who support you haven't abandoned you already, eventually, if you continue to make claims like this, you will be left standing by yourself, here.

I could say "Jaydogrules doesn't own a copy of ASM #667 Dell'otto, and any image he tries to post "proving" he does is just a photoshopped picture, a clever ruse to troll people", and I could say that in a manner that would convince a casual reader that it was true....but I won't say that, because it would be a lie.

So, why do you post things that you cannot possibly know are true, or not true, as if you do know...? And wouldn't it be terribly, terribly unwise of anyone to deal with someone who is clearly detached from common standards of reason, rationality, and basic integrity?

\yet you are so clearly and mind numbingly obsessed with will finally depart the forefront of your consciousness and allow you to go and live your life in peace.

False equivalence. One does not need to own, see, or deal directly with something to understand it. I don't own a nuclear reactor, but I understand the basics of how it functions.

Now, are you done with this conversation, as you said you were, or did you not mean that? If so, which words of yours do you not mean, and which do you mean, so people can understand what is, and is not, to be taken seriously from you?

The FF variant is really common so I would bet that FF variant accounts for a decent percentage of the sold numbers, maybe as high as 10% - that could bring this issue's 'regular cover numbers' in line with others from that era - the FF variant orders count in the sold numbers but don't contribute to retailer incentive quotas that helps reduce the distribution ratios of the retailer incentive variant.

(shrug)

That's a far more likely hypothesis for reducing the number of retailer incentive issues that would have been distributed - I certainly like it better than variant burnout or making a false comparison to the bloated 666 sales figures.

That could certainly be a major factor that affected distribution numbers for the 1:100 variant, although it still doesn't tell us anything about how many copies were printed or where they are now.

This really seems like someone trying to hawk something as rare that really isn't as rare as the item actually is.

...or back in the real world it is an appreciation thread about a well documented rare book.

If you disagree, do please advise us when you track one down. That was, after all, one of the points of the thread anyway. (thumbs u

-J.

Told you.... I had one. I don't expect you to remember that though. No reason for you. So again. Long story short.

Had one. Was selling off and dumping all ASM variants. Sold a bunch individually. Sold it in an auction with a group of other variants.

But no, you don't want to listen to anyone. You want to be "right" according to yourself.

The only thing that you are really demonstrating is that you are a time waster.

This really seems like someone trying to hawk something as rare that really isn't as rare as the item actually is.

...or back in the real world it is an appreciation thread about a well documented rare book.

If you disagree, do please advise us when you track one down. That was, after all, one of the points of the thread anyway. (thumbs u

-J.

Told you.... I had one. I don't expect you to remember that though. No reason for you. So again. Long story short.

Had one. Was selling off and dumping all ASM variants. Sold a bunch individually. Sold it in an auction with a group of other variants.

But no, you don't want to listen to anyone. You want to be "right" according to yourself.

...and yet no one is forcing you to read or post in this thread. :ohnoez:

I don't "want" to be right. I've listened to other people's thoughts and opinions as to the book's crazy rarity and they are still just expressing thoughts and opinions. As others have stated in this thread, no one can be proven "right" either way as to the cause of the book's scarcity, and I agreed with that. So I'm not entirely sure what you are even talking about quite frankly.

(And I did remember you said you had one in the past. Not sure how that relates to now, but okay. If the fact that you obviously sold the book way too soon, or at all, is the cause of your spiteful posting then I suggest you take a few deep breaths and queue up a good movie on Netflix or something. Life goes on my man.)

-J.

(shrug)

Since this post represents a theory. my theory, of a possible reason and/or scenario that would explain a lower population of Dell'Otto variants distributed I would ask that recalledcomics.com or jaydogrules or any combination thereof give me proper credit if making reference to this theory in the future.

:D

hm

-J.

-J.

I don't "want" to be right. I've listened to other people's thoughts and opinions as to the book's crazy rarity and they are still just expressing thoughts and opinions. As others have stated in this thread, no one can be proven "right" either way as to the cause of the book's scarcity, and I agreed with that. So I'm not entirely sure what you are even talking about quite frankly.

(And I did remember you said you had one in the past. Not sure how that relates to now, but okay. If the fact that you obviously sold the book way too soon, or at all, is the cause of your spiteful posting then I suggest you take a few deep breaths and queue up a good movie on Netflix or something. Life goes on my man.)

-J.

1 - You stated "try to track one down" which is why I noted that I had mentioned owning one.

2 - You do not seem to have the ability to 'listen' to others it seems.

3 - Deep breaths? Try harder. This is the last thing I get worked up over.

I stand by the statement though that you prattle on to simply increase the worth of something that is not really worth what you claim it is. The last thing that gets a rise out of me is something that you say. However, anything you say has been met with a shrug and a response.

Now...harangue, it, it harangues me....please..Cerebus is better,just admit it...Hulk #1 prices,oh,oh,

Forearm over forehead gremlin,falling,running away...runs back to give a woeful,pleading look,and the forearm again....

Can't we please all just read ROM comics!!!??

There are irresistible forces and immovable objects colliding all up in this piece.

Much like the accident between the water truck and the vinegar truck this morning.

-J.

-J.

1 - You stated "try to track one down" which is why I noted that I had mentioned owning one.

2 - You do not seem to have the ability to 'listen' to others it seems.

3 - Deep breaths? Try harder. This is the last thing I get worked up over.

I stand by the statement though that you prattle on to simply increase the worth of something that is not really worth what you claim it is. The last thing that gets a rise out of me is something that you say. However, anything you say has been met with a shrug and a response.

I don't dictate or "claim" the "worth" of anything, the market does. It has spoken, not me. I simply reported its verdict.

The only "prattle" going on is more sour grapes posting from a guy who is either terrible at timing the market, too lazy to check GPA/do adequate research before selling his books, or never owned the book in the first place and is in fact the only one wasting anyone's time (his own) by posting in this thread.

And for the millionth time, this is an appreciation thread. You don't like enthusiastic conversation about a book, you don't have to click on its thread. Easy, peasy fresh and easy. :banana:

-J.

Now...harangue, it, it harangues me....please..Cerebus is better,just admit it...Hulk #1 prices,oh,oh,

Forearm over forehead gremlin,falling,running away...runs back to give a woeful,pleading look,and the forearm again....

Can't we please all just read ROM comics!!!??

Porcupine you are truly a poet among pedestrians. And I mean that. ;)

-J.