• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF15, could there be another Hunt Bros type scheme?

28 posts in this topic

Opinions on to whether or not some very wealthy individual(s) could be attempting to amass a sizable percentage hoard or even corner the market on AF15?

With only 1500 or so blue labels X 30K we are only talking 45 million dollars which is just a few years salary for many athletes these days not to mention all the other rich heirs, stock market winners, actors, lotto winners etc, and every other baron and mogul world-wide.

All it takes is one person(and a few of his friends) to decide he wants to have some fun trying to corner the market and its really a win win situation for them because its just another of his hobbies (like their $15 million yacht)

If just one of todays young professional athletes with a huge contract loved Spider-man as a kid- just imagine?

Its been tried unsuccessfully with some rarer date coins before but this was many years ago ,..long before the internet made buying so much easier.

The age of the internet and on-line buying might have made market cornering so much more simpler than anyone has yet to grasp.

If you are asking if it's possible to try to corner the market in AF 15's the answer is yes. It is always possible to try someting like that. If you are asking if that is going on right now the answer is no. When the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market prices rose 355% in 5 months. If we see AF 15 prices go up 355% in 5 months I would say it is probably being attempted. At 23% per year I think it's just

Choose 1:

Irrational exuberance

That it has been under-priced for a long time

Demographic changes

Some other pedestrian explanation

Opinions on to whether or not some very wealthy individual(s) could be attempting to amass a sizable percentage hoard or even corner the market on AF15?

With only 1500 or so blue labels X 30K we are only talking 45 million dollars which is just a few years salary for many athletes these days not to mention all the other rich heirs, stock market winners, actors, lotto winners etc, and every other baron and mogul world-wide.

All it takes is one person(and a few of his friends) to decide he wants to have some fun trying to corner the market and its really a win win situation for them because its just another of his hobbies (like their $15 million yacht)

If just one of todays young professional athletes with a huge contract loved Spider-man as a kid- just imagine?

Its been tried unsuccessfully with some rarer date coins before but this was many years ago ,..long before the internet made buying so much easier.

The age of the internet and on-line buying might have made market cornering so much more simpler than anyone has yet to grasp.

Maybe it's the dudes who made their millions on slabbing moderns. hm

I've always stated this...

I believe that AF15 is one of those books where the census is very off. I think that there are far fewer overall stabbed copies than most believe as this is a very desirable book to play the CPR game and to scratch off things like CT.

Anyone recently see any restored copies with tear seals or CT offered at market? I side with a friend who speculates that those types of restored books have had the resto removed to bump them into universal holders.

Im always toying with picking up another copy and I have not seen any purple books with "light" resto in a very long time.

I've always stated this...

I believe that AF15 is one of those books where the census is very off. I think that there are far fewer overall stabbed copies than most believe as this is a very desirable book to play the CPR game and to scratch off things like CT.

Anyone recently see any restored copies with tear seals or CT offered at market? I side with a friend who speculates that those types of restored books have had the resto removed to bump them into universal holders.

Im always toying with picking up another copy and I have not seen any purple books with "light" resto in a very long time.

I've done this to 2 CT'd copies myself. One came back as the same grade in Blue (only had 1 dot of CT), the other came back 2 grades lower in Blue (had lots of CT all over the cover).