• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Auction: Thoughts?

231 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on this one

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids%2Easp&id=1071317

I used to own this page but is this where Sal Buscema Defenders pages are going these days. I know it is a Guardians of the Galaxy Appearence but still.........

Not sure why it went so high. 3 pages from their 1st appearance went for way less than that recently. Someone may be trying to complete that issue.

That was a very fast bump on the Rorschach pin-up. From $1500 to $3300 in a blink, and then it was gone...

Well that write up about it being a piece of art contributed by Dave Gibbons for 'Before Watchmen' is complete fiction. It's an unpublished commission.

That was a very fast bump on the Rorschach pin-up. From $1500 to $3300 in a blink, and then it was gone...

Well that write up about it being a piece of art contributed by Dave Gibbons for 'Before Watchmen' is complete fiction. It's an unpublished commission.

Er, been busy with work?

:blush:

Er, been busy with work?

:blush:

Just kidding....the setup was too perfect to NOT use that clip. lol

The information is valuable and appreciated. I am sure the buyer still has a chance to get this rectified and they would not have known without your help. :foryou:

I think this CL auction is full of great pieces -- including two pieces I consigned :)

My Fireside Amazing Spider-Man cover painting by Bob Larkin is on the block. Beautiful Bronze Age Spidey image ... Fireside covers rarely pop up anywhere ....

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fsearch_adv_art%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26CATEGORIES%3D-1%26Artist1%3DBOB%2520LARKIN%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26SORT%3DCATEG%26where_auctione%3Dy%26where_auctions%3Dy%23Item_1072007&id=1072007

Also, my Dazzler #4 cover by Frank Springer is available -- earliest Dazzler cover to go up for auction!

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fsearch_adv_art%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26CATEGORIES%3D-1%26Artist1%3DFRANK%2520SPRINGER%25A0%2520%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26SORT%3DCATEG%26where_auctione%3Dy%26where_auctions%3Dy%23Item_1072006&id=1072006

check 'em out if you like.....

I am surprised your Fireside cover didn't sell. Its an iconic fireside cover IMO.

I will say, Mandel has the cover to 1. If that ones not in Lucas' archive I would bet there is a lot that isnt.

Him and Spielberg own a lot of comic art, and im sure he probably is one of the top collectors of his own comic art, but i dont think he has a majority of it from any era.

From what I have seen the Star Wars and Indiana Jones stuff from the 70s and 80's that Lucas bought was after the fact. I would say it was around the mid 90's that Lucas started poaching this stuff direct from the artists.

You know star wars better than I do but my guess is earlier.

I'm just going by the SW pieces I looked at (not many, ~5) as they were all late 80s early 90s and all nabbed by Lucas, and, as I mentioned, there was that Howard the Duck art bought direct in 1986.

Maybe he started in the 80s with more major pieces and then got more comprehensive about it and started to include more minor pieces in the mid 90s?

I.e. perhaps they were more informal Lucas to artist offers to start and then became part of the standard contracts later?

I really don't know but I do have several examples where he bought direct that predate your 1995 estimate so he must have purchased at least some items directly prior to that.

The SW #1 cover was offered in a very public auction circa 1999. Going by what's been written here-- both in terms of the timeline of when he started actively acquiring pieces, as well as his interest in Chaykin art-- how did he not get that cover? That's always been a head-scratcher.

Strictly from the sidelines, results look fairly healthy tonight. Congrats to buyers and (no reserve) sellers!

I suppose it's possible that cover did not appeal to him? Or they just missed it?

With how original trilogy pages were desired I would be surprised if it was the former.