• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If Jack Kirby was the king of comics, was Alex Schomburg the king of covers in the GA?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

Not to take anything away from Jack Kirby whose action packed covers, interiors, inspired panel designs partnered with the artistic sensibilities and business mind of Joe Simon spanned decades and several style transitions. But with rare exception Jack Kirby's best known GA work occurred while working for DC during the war years after leaving Timely. I think it's safe to say that Jack's crown is secure, but as a prolific artist he's best known for his stylistic interiors, and his covers often seem like an afterthought in comparison.

By contrast, Alex's cover art seems designed to spur the imagination. More like a snapshot than a story it makes you want to pick the book up and look inside to see what went on before and after the event. I reckon it was a race flipping through the pages before the drugstore clerk grabbed kid's ear lobes and made 'em pluck down a dime for the privilage.

Alex Schomburg started working for Timely in late 1939, at first turning out pulp-influenced, dark themed comic covers. In a short time however, his work took on a more heroic tone, with stylized characters that reflected and usually improved upon the original interior illustrator's work. Alex's war era Timely work Is often "busy", but never less than perfectly balanced. Somehow, he always managed to maintain focus on the main character(s) to grab the imagination of kids & adults browsing comic racks for diversionary pleasure. Alex's bold, well controlled pen/ink style would elicit freelance work from numerous publishers during the war years, and his ability to meet tight deadlines without churning out repetitive or substandard work almost defies belief.

After the war, as interests changed he was more than adept at modifying and simplifying his style, incorporating airbrush work and moving the focus from masculine heroes to attractive "good girl" art. This actually positioned him well to move into pulp and digest cover art where his clean, perfectly composed paintings would secure demand for his work into the 1960's and beyond.

In a sense, this is a follow-up to an earlier post ...article, if you prefer... that I did on Alex in another thread some time ago using scans of his work through the war years to bolster my points. It seems appropriate to revisit this in light of the spectacular six figure result in the recent HA for the HGC of Suspense #3. Who knows what Alex would've thought of this, but given what little I know about the man and his modesty I can imagine he'd be flattered that so many folks continue to appreciate his work long after his passing.

It seems that Schomburg is clearly the king these days -- sorry Jack!

I'm not sure who is in second place. Cole, maybe? If you want to expand the definition of GA into the early 1950s and are willing to countenance romance books, then I think Matt Baker is in the running. Although his output was relatively small, if you include the early 1950s, Frazetta would get some votes.

I've said it before (probably everything I've posted in the past year I've said before :D ), but maybe the most surprising trend for me has been the eclipse of interest in Simon and Kirby. When I first got into collecting in the late 1960s, interest in GA artists pretty much began and ended with them. At least that's I how I remember it. Now--leaving aside their Timely covers, which I think are hot for other reasons--most of their books go below guide at a time when most other notable GA books have been going over guide--often way over guide.

From a quality standpoint, the cover work of Lou Fine and Mac Raboy strike me as much better. Schomburg's work has an in your face over the top appeal sure to grab attention and dimes!

Raboy! Ouch! How could I overlook him? doh!

... the eclipse of interest in Simon and Kirby... Now--leaving aside their Timely covers, which I think are hot for other reasons--most of their books go below guide at a time when most other notable GA books have been going over guide--often way over guide.

One recent exception - the Fighting American's in last month's Heritage auction that went zoomin' into orbit at multiples of guide. hm

Everybody mentioned here is great, but Schomburg was the most exciting and over the top. His covers reached out and grabbed you by the throat. Which is a modern sensibility. That's why he transcends.

Have to agree. IMHO Schomburg's art is head and shoulders above the rest. There were many skilled comic artists but Schomburg had a dramatic flair that the others couldn't match. It would have been tough to walk past one of his covers and not plunk down a dime to see what was inside.

Not to take anything away from Jack Kirby whose action packed covers, interiors, inspired panel designs partnered with the artistic sensibilities and business mind of Joe Simon spanned decades and several style transitions. But with rare exception Jack Kirby's best known GA work occurred while working for DC during the war years after leaving Timely. I think it's safe to say that Jack's crown is secure, but as a prolific artist he's best known for his stylistic interiors, and his covers often seem like an afterthought in comparison.

By contrast, Alex's cover art seems designed to spur the imagination. More like a snapshot than a story it makes you want to pick the book up and look inside to see what went on before and after the event. I reckon it was a race flipping through the pages before the drugstore clerk grabbed kid's ear lobes and made 'em pluck down a dime for the privilage.

Alex Schomburg started working for Timely in late 1939, at first turning out pulp-influenced, dark themed comic covers. In a short time however, his work took on a more heroic tone, with stylized characters that reflected and usually improved upon the original interior illustrator's work. Alex's war era Timely work Is often "busy", but never less than perfectly balanced. Somehow, he always managed to maintain focus on the main character(s) to grab the imagination of kids & adults browsing comic racks for diversionary pleasure. Alex's bold, well controlled pen/ink style would elicit freelance work from numerous publishers during the war years, and his ability to meet tight deadlines without churning out repetitive or substandard work almost defies belief.

After the war, as interests changed he was more than adept at modifying and simplifying his style, incorporating airbrush work and moving the focus from masculine heroes to attractive "good girl" art. This actually positioned him well to move into pulp and digest cover art where his clean, perfectly composed paintings would secure demand for his work into the 1960's and beyond.

In a sense, this is a follow-up to an earlier post ...article, if you prefer... that I did on Alex in another thread some time ago using scans of his work through the war years to bolster my points. It seems appropriate to revisit this in light of the spectacular six figure result in the recent HA for the HGC of Suspense #3. Who knows what Alex would've thought of this, but given what little I know about the man and his modesty I can imagine he'd be flattered that so many folks continue to appreciate his work long after his passing.

How could you ask that WT. :pullhair: They were all great in there own Things.

Shuster in Sup

Kane Detective

Jerry R Batman

Leo O M great Action covers

Flessel in Aventure

Fred G in More-fun

You get the point. :devil:

Schomburg was great but Simon and Kirby right there (thumbs u So now what you got to say. :popcorn:

From a quality standpoint, the cover work of Lou Fine and Mac Raboy strike me as much better. Schomburg's work has an in your face over the top appeal sure to grab attention and dimes!

the 3 names in this post are my top-3.

the 3 names in this post are my top-3.

I'm glad I seconded Raboy before you checked in on this thread or my life may not have been worth a plugged nickel!