• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Summer Featured auction, post 'em if you got 'em (or got blown out)

122 posts in this topic

John brings up some good points in regards to August/Sept being a bad time to sell in regards to Back to school/vacations etc. Not entirely convinced this is the sole reason though. Our market has been changing more and more, leaning towards the top tier 9.8 and "movie/key" issues with everything else falling somewhat low.

The market is like a squirrel on crack chasing around after the hot book and dropping the old hot book just a quickly. Check out GPA on old ultra hot books like X-Men 4, X-Men 141, Avengers 55, etc - lots of little red arrows pointing down. It almost seems like the market is waiting for the next couple book to pop.

That's why it's so important to not be a museum when holding a hot book.

You gotta flip it and forget it! and pick it back up later if you got to.

:cloud9:

Exactly, don't be left holding that hot potato...sell those FF 45's now people! :preach:

Market is softening outside of the big/established keys and the latest hot book...

Exactly, don't be left holding that hot potato...sell those FF 45's now people! :preach:

Market is softening outside of the big/established keys and the latest hot book...

You know, I don't get this type of doom saying. Basically it happens this time of year every year. September to November is slower than other parts of the year. It just is.

The market is very solid right now in my opinion. I had my best Chicago Comic Con ever. Yes, there are books going down. Howard the Duck, Nova, etc. In most cases, those books went higher than they ever should have. But there are many other books that are going the other direction.. I saw many, many books sell for well over GPA last night.

FF #45 has always been a tougher book and popular book. Should it be worth more than FF #48. The old school comic boy in me says no, but honestly with the Agents of Shield involvement, a coming feature movie, plus who knows what else, its possible that more people might end up wanting the #45 than the #48. FF #48 has always been a somewhat common issue, but it has always been popular.

You know, I don't get this type of doom saying. Basically it happens this time of year every year. September to November is slower than other parts of the year. It just is.

The market is very solid right now in my opinion. I had my best Chicago Comic Con ever. Yes, there are books going down. Howard the Duck, Nova, etc. In most cases, those books went higher than they ever should have. But there are many other books that are going the other direction.. I saw many, many books sell for well over GPA last night.

FF #45 has always been a tougher book and popular book. Should it be worth more than FF #48. The old school comic boy in me says no, but honestly with the Agents of Shield involvement, a coming feature movie, plus who knows what else, its possible that more people might end up wanting the #45 than the #48. FF #48 has always been a somewhat common issue, but it has always been popular.

I thought it was August and September was a slow sales period? So now its August thru December is a slow time to sell?

I thought it was August and September was a slow sales period? So now its August thru December is a slow time to sell?

I didn't say anything about December. And there are varying degrees of slowness. Just because October is slower than Feb/March/April, doesn't make it bad.

And I don't think August is bad (except on ebay). Chicago is always a great show in August.

extremely soft for non-"key" DC's. this feels like the stock market when everyone is piling into momentum names with no concern for value; that rarely ends well.

Even here?

You mean the "Hey I want your CGC book at GPA less eBay/PP fees," offers?

Yup eBay is better lol

I love when I get PMs where the buyers offer benefits them 110% but the seller 0%.

I get your point. I read it as a $1,000 sale in any venue.

I typically like to buy in these off months personally. I bid right at GPA on several and above on a couple I had missed out on before. was 1 for 9, so I obviously was not the only person with the same ideas.

I didn't say anything about December. And there are varying degrees of slowness. Just because October is slower than Feb/March/April, doesn't make it bad.

And I don't think August is bad (except on ebay). Chicago is always a great show in August.

.... I've been paying attention to auctions for over 10 years now and these cycles are something I've noticed the whole time. December through May has the advantage of XMas $$$$, year-end bonuses, Tax refunds with a little bit of cabin fever thrown in. The key-centricity is something that was inevitable.... it has occurred in almost every class of mass produced collectibles that there is : coins, cards, etc. The longer the collectible is manufactured, the more there are available.... making completionist approaches daunting from a financial standpoint..... hence the emergence of the "Type Set" as a popular approach to collecting. Couple that with the meteoric rises of the last decade or so and a correction is inevitable..... but the non key-non high grade books still seem to be finding their homes, as long as they aren't priced out of reach of the typical enthusiast . I remember talking with boardie Tmoore about an experience he had when considering a book and he had said " Hey, it's only a $ 100..." and then he noted that he had become jaded by so many high dollar books that he had forgotten how MUCH $ 100 is...... it's a significant ceiling for most collectors. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...at the LCS about a year ago I saw a young boy.... maybe 10, come in with his Dad and he spent all his Christmas money on a VG/F copy of Teen Titans # 1 (SA run).... it set him back 30 bucks and he was THRILLED.....

....... Chicago in August, as well as the other summer time Cons have a significant effect on auction results and online sales...... people will save their money for when the "circus" comes to town..... and they will always prefer the chance to see the book(s) with their own two eyes....

Got the Strange Tales Annual #2 below the 2015 GPA low! :banana:

RADB63612015826_16637.jpg

While I understand the thrill of getting a book on the lower money spent side I think it is bad for the hobby to get a book at a GPA low where the whole hobby had a chance to bid on it.

As a collector and a dealer I would cringe if I got a personal book for my collection on a heavily marketed auction sales site and the book tanked. It would make me think I just wasted my money on a declining book.

I'm not cringing in the least. It's a book I've wanted for a while, and I love the price I paid. I can definitely understand the seller wanting to cringe, but not me. It's the nature of any large auction that books can sneak by. I'd argue that this book didn't belong in this particular auction, its too lowbrow compared to the typical key or nosebleed grade in this sale, so that may help explain the result.

I actually think you got a pretty good deal on it. The book presents much nicer than the "7.0" on the label IMHO. :applause:

I was going after the GI Joe page... I was not going after it at $5k though. GI Joe is indeed Awesome. I bowed out halfway through. If a boardie picked it up then show that baby off.

While I understand the thrill of getting a book on the lower money spent side I think it is bad for the hobby to get a book at a GPA low where the whole hobby had a chance to bid on it.

As a collector and a dealer I would cringe if I got a personal book for my collection on a heavily marketed auction sales site and the book tanked. It would make me think I just wasted my money on a declining book.

I'm not cringing in the least. It's a book I've wanted for a while, and I love the price I paid. I can definitely understand the seller wanting to cringe, but not me. It's the nature of any large auction that books can sneak by. I'd argue that this book didn't belong in this particular auction, its too lowbrow compared to the typical key or nosebleed grade in this sale, so that may help explain the result.

I actually think you got a pretty good deal on it. The book presents much nicer than the "7.0" on the label IMHO. :applause:

Sometimes stuff falls through the cracks........just because a book was purchased at what could be deemed less than FMV doesn't mean it's on a decline. It just means that there wasn't a pool of collectors looking for it at the given place and time. That may change tomorrow. 12M GPA vs. Last sale sort of thing, at least to me.

Getting a good deal on a good book for your own collection is never a bad thing in my mind. Great looking book. Finding a 5.0-7.0 copy is on my list for the next year myself. Congrats on the nice score.

I'll keep an eye on stuff but I never really bid on stuff in these big auctions. Very very few books fall thru the cracks so it's not really worth the time.

This auctions seemed to really highlight the vast difference between the 9.8 crowd and everyone else. Some of the prices realized for the highest graded copies blew up the roof but the rest seemed very tame with very low prices on a lot of books. Considering each book is valued at over $300 its odd to see so books go for less then $200 and a bunch sell for less then $300.

:gossip: Stuff always manages to fall through the cracks to some degree.

a non-noted oikajima fell through about 6 months ago... (it was CGC labeled as okajima, but CLink made no note of the fact that it was Okajima in the listing, but they made sure you knew it was from the JAMIE GRAHAM/GRAHAM CRACKERS COMICS COLLECTION COLLECTING THE COMICS OF JAMIE GRAHAM CRACKER IN A COLLECTION FROM JAMIE GRAHAM AND HIS FAMEOUS CRACKERS JAMIE GRAHAM GRAHAM....

man I cant wait for them to finish listing that collection,

I'll keep an eye on stuff but I never really bid on stuff in these big auctions. Very very few books fall thru the cracks so it's not really worth the time.

This auctions seemed to really highlight the vast difference between the 9.8 crowd and everyone else. Some of the prices realized for the highest graded copies blew up the roof but the rest seemed very tame with very low prices on a lot of books. Considering each book is valued at over $300 its odd to see so books go for less then $200 and a bunch sell for less then $300.

:gossip: Stuff always manages to fall through the cracks to some degree.

a non-noted oikajima fell through about 6 months ago... (it was CGC labeled as okajima, but CLink made no note of the fact that it was Okajima in the listing, but they made sure you knew it was from the JAMIE GRAHAM/GRAHAM CRACKERS COMICS COLLECTION COLLECTING THE COMICS OF JAMIE GRAHAM CRACKER IN A COLLECTION FROM JAMIE GRAHAM AND HIS FAMEOUS CRACKERS JAMIE GRAHAM GRAHAM....

man I cant wait for them to finish listing that collection,

(worship)

Man, how many times did they feature (over-use) a Spidey/Human Torch clash/team-up in the Silver Age?