• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Summer Featured auction, post 'em if you got 'em (or got blown out)

122 posts in this topic

I'll keep an eye on stuff but I never really bid on stuff in these big auctions. Very very few books fall thru the cracks so it's not really worth the time.

This auctions seemed to really highlight the vast difference between the 9.8 crowd and everyone else. Some of the prices realized for the highest graded copies blew up the roof but the rest seemed very tame with very low prices on a lot of books. Considering each book is valued at over $300 its odd to see so books go for less then $200 and a bunch sell for less then $300.

:gossip: Stuff always manages to fall through the cracks to some degree.

Even the stuff that "falls thru the cracks" is usually only 10-15% under GPA which is not low enough to really be worth the effort unless you think the book is undervalued and due to go up.

Not everyone buys for resale.

Exactly - I buy slabs for my collection, no intent to sell let alone flip.

Hey all --

Won one book last night, and it looks something like this...

TOS%2057%209.8_zpsidzwwxnk.jpg

The book I won does indeed resemble that one, but I ended up spending $33,000 less to get this copy instead:

TOS%2057%206.5_zpsakyl1xgv.jpg

Thanks for looking -- congrats on everyone else's treasures!

Dan

I think I'm done with CLink and selling. I've only ever had 1 or 2 books that went above GPA. That's the range from GA-SA-Modern. It's been a pattern of getting 10-25% less than GPA for books. Thanks, but I can do that on my own on Ebay and get much closer to GPA or better.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. I've got 8 or 9 books set to be auctioned off this September and I'm debating getting them all back. It seems like CLink is a great place to sell the ultra high grade books (highest graded) but the rest seem to fight to come close to GPA average let alone highs. You would think with the large number of buyers drawn by the high grade auctions they would have no problem beating the prices realized on E-Bay. Not the case in most auctions.

Don't eBay's new fees amount to something like 15% now, though?

And with Heritage you are basically leaving the bidder premium on the table even if you are not paying a seller premium.

I think each venue has it's pluses and minuses.

I pay about 12% to e-bay right now and I could get it down to about 10% if I could just ship out books within a day. I love the fact that ComicLink advances you about 50% of the anticipated price of your books but I've only had 1 book out of 20 beat GPA averages. And these include books like JO 134 CGC 9.2 and IF 14 CGC 9.8.

Does that 10-12% include Paypal fees?

I think I'm done with CLink and selling. I've only ever had 1 or 2 books that went above GPA. That's the range from GA-SA-Modern. It's been a pattern of getting 10-25% less than GPA for books. Thanks, but I can do that on my own on Ebay and get much closer to GPA or better.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. I've got 8 or 9 books set to be auctioned off this September and I'm debating getting them all back. It seems like CLink is a great place to sell the ultra high grade books (highest graded) but the rest seem to fight to come close to GPA average let alone highs. You would think with the large number of buyers drawn by the high grade auctions they would have no problem beating the prices realized on E-Bay. Not the case in most auctions.

And with Heritage you are basically leaving the bidder premium on the table even if you are not paying a seller premium.

I think each venue has it's pluses and minuses.

I pay about 12% to e-bay right now and I could get it down to about 10% if I could just ship out books within a day. I love the fact that ComicLink advances you about 50% of the anticipated price of your books but I've only had 1 book out of 20 beat GPA averages. And these include books like JO 134 CGC 9.2 and IF 14 CGC 9.8.

Does that 10-12% include Paypal fees?

Yep. 9% to e-bay and 2.9% (+0.30) to paypal. and E-Bay knocks 20% off the 9% if you jump thru all their hoops.

Got the Strange Tales Annual #2 below the 2015 GPA low! :banana:

RADB63612015826_16637.jpg

While I understand the thrill of getting a book on the lower money spent side I think it is bad for the hobby to get a book at a GPA low where the whole hobby had a chance to bid on it.

As a collector and a dealer I would cringe if I got a personal book for my collection on a heavily marketed auction sales site and the book tanked. It would make me think I just wasted my money on a declining book.

Not even close if you understand how to manage your eBay store correctly.

If I sell a book on eBay for lets say 1k I retain the most $ compared to anywhere else.

While I understand the thrill of getting a book on the lower money spent side I think it is bad for the hobby to get a book at a GPA low where the whole hobby had a chance to bid on it.

As a collector and a dealer I would cringe if I got a personal book for my collection on a heavily marketed auction sales site and the book tanked. It would make me think I just wasted my money on a declining book.

I hardly bother watching auction sites anymore. There's so many auctions constantly running that I don't have time to follow them all...and let's face it, nobody does.

I just watch a few of the bigger books out of interest but I can't scroll through pages and pages of auctions anymore like I used to when it was a rarer occurrence.

Even here?
Most of the time, yes. Most sellers have serious difficulties getting within 10% of GPA here. Not right or wrong, just a fact. Kind of like when someone sells a house without a broker. The buyer expects to get a lower sales price. The seller expects to net more money. Both are factoring in the absence of a seller's agent's commission.

Some of you guys need to be a little more aware of when to sell.

August tends to be a terrible month to sell.

People are away on vacations and kids are heading back to school.

August and beginning of September are good buying months.

Mid-Sept-Xmas= sell sell sell

January buy buy buy

Rinse and repeat and quit your day job.

Even here?

You mean the "Hey I want your CGC book at GPA less eBay/PP fees," offers?

Yup eBay is better lol

I love when I get PMs where the buyers offer benefits them 110% but the seller 0%.

Some of you guys need to be a little more aware of when to sell.

August tends to be a terrible month to sell.

People are away on vacations and kids are heading back to school.

August and beginning of September are good buying months.

Mid-Sept-Xmas= sell sell sell

January buy buy buy

Rinse and repeat and quit your day job.

My comments about my past performance in Clink auctions aren't related to auctions post-August.

If I sell a book on eBay for lets say 1k I retain the most $ compared to anywhere else.

I've had two consigments in a row with less than stellar results through Clink. The Venus # 17 in VF+ 8.5 I had up I had conservedly priced out at between 7-8K and with the sale a few years ago of one on HA for close to 12K I was pretty hopeful. The auction ended last night with end result of a little over 5K. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. Really with I had held onto the book. doh!

I've had two consigments in a row with less than stellar results through Clink. The Venus # 17 in VF+ 8.5 I had up I had conservedly priced out at between 7-8K and with the sale a few years ago of one on HA for close to 12K I was pretty hopeful. The auction ended last night with end result of a little over 5K. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. Really with I had held onto the book. doh!

Sorry man. That's quite a hit especially when they take the 10%.

I'm not cringing in the least. It's a book I've wanted for a while, and I love the price I paid. I can definitely understand the seller wanting to cringe, but not me. It's the nature of any large auction that books can sneak by. I'd argue that this book didn't belong in this particular auction, its too lowbrow compared to the typical key or nosebleed grade in this sale, so that may help explain the result.

John brings up some good points in regards to August/Sept being a bad time to sell in regards to Back to school/vacations etc. Not entirely convinced this is the sole reason though. Our market has been changing more and more, leaning towards the top tier 9.8 and "movie/key" issues with everything else falling somewhat low.

I'm not cringing in the least. It's a book I've wanted for a while, and I love the price I paid. I can definitely understand the seller wanting to cringe, but not me. It's the nature of any large auction that books can sneak by. I'd argue that this book didn't belong in this particular auction, its too lowbrow compared to the typical key or nosebleed grade in this sale, so that may help explain the result.

The Hell with he naysayers, that's a Sweet Pick-up!

:golfclap:

John brings up some good points in regards to August/Sept being a bad time to sell in regards to Back to school/vacations etc. Not entirely convinced this is the sole reason though. Our market has been changing more and more, leaning towards the top tier 9.8 and "movie/key" issues with everything else falling somewhat low.

The market is like a squirrel on crack chasing around after the hot book and dropping the old hot book just a quickly. Check out GPA on old ultra hot books like X-Men 4, X-Men 141, Avengers 55, etc - lots of little red arrows pointing down. It almost seems like the market is waiting for the next couple book to pop.