• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jessica Jones Netflix Alias #1

494 posts in this topic

in fairnesss tho, The Strain (tv show) is completely awful.

Which begs the question, does the quality of the show significantly impact post hype speculation?

Doesn't seem like it - which makes sense seeing the largest prices are always the ones realized prior to the show being aired.

It only seems to matter in the extreme given the obvious example. Otherwise I agree.

A prime example of a book tanking big time is Swamp Thing # 37.The show was as sugar coated, mass market friendly as could be; the polar opposite of Hellblazer....IOW, the show sucked a bag of , on all fronts.Critically and ratings wise.

Try to get $600 for a CGC 9.8 ST # 37 now :tonofbricks:

It won't happen.

I Zombie has done well critically and ratings wise and has been renewed for a second season.

HOM Annual 1 and IZombie 1 CGC 9.8 are doing fairly well.

iZombie already had the mid-season finale of season 2 :shrug:

From a price trajectory point of view, there's no real difference between any of the books you mention - they all had a price surge & tons of speculation leading up to the premiere of the TV show, then an immediate decline when the show was actually on air. Doesn't seem to matter whether the show is actually good or not.

Heck, it's happening with Sandman #4 right now even though the Lucifer TV show by all accounts looks like it's going to be terrible.

The idea of citing examples and then taking a left turn to a predetermined conclusion seems to be the way of the boards lately. (shrug)

A prime example of a book tanking big time is Swamp Thing # 37.The show was as sugar coated, mass market friendly as could be; the polar opposite of Hellblazer....IOW, the show sucked a bag of , on all fronts.Critically and ratings wise.

It won't happen.

I Zombie has done well critically and ratings wise and has been renewed for a second season.

From a price trajectory point of view, there's no real difference between any of the books you mention - they all had a price surge & tons of speculation leading up to the premiere of the TV show, then an immediate decline when the show was actually on air. Doesn't seem to matter whether the show is actually good or not.

Heck, it's happening with Sandman #4 right now even though the Lucifer TV show by all accounts looks like it's going to be terrible.

The idea of citing examples and then taking a left turn to a predetermined conclusion seems to be the way of the boards lately. (shrug)

There hasn't been any sale reported on a sandman 4 9.8 in GPA since mid Nov at $314.

Not sure but I believe the show's trailer popped around that time.

The trailer looks "Constantine-esque" or IOW, the show looks like it won't have any balls.

OTOH.....Preacher's trailer looks like the show will be as ballsy as can be, for a basic cable show.

IZombie doesn't need balls, per se, it is a campy piece of escapism, which is fine by me and I dig the show.

I tried listing a Lucifer #1 CGC 9.8 at $275 then dropped it to $250, no takers after a few weeks.Think I'll just put it back up at $225 and let it ride, if I can net $200....good enough for me.

And Junk, you're right about that, as well.

hah.

It won't happen.

Well, the previews for Lucifer do look absolutely dreadful. Almost laughable. This show will die a quick and merciful death.

Well, the previews for Lucifer do look absolutely dreadful. Almost laughable. This show will die a quick and merciful death.

The pilot was pretty bad. So you might be right....

It's Castle redux, but with a nightclub owner/Devil instead of a writer. And without the chemistry of Castle/Beckett. The only time those types of shows are successful (Castle, S1 & 3 of Sleepy Hollow) are when the leads have amazing chemistry.

Which begs the question, does the quality of the show significantly impact post hype speculation?

I don't really know. I know that sucktastic shows will likely negatively impact post-hype speculation. Because the show will get canned quickly OR even if it doesn't, it doesn't have the kind of viewership that extends into the comic world (especially for something like the Strain, which if it created any real hype, would have been directed to the books mores than at the comics) that can drive any significant sales.

Common sense would dictate that good shows have a greater chance of success than bad shows (except on FOX or if they're poorly scheduled for their target demo), and therefore a greater chance of longevity, keeping interest higher for longer. But whether this is accurate when it comes to something as often nonsensical as speculator hype? That's a good question.

I don't really know. I know that sucktastic shows will likely negatively impact post-hype speculation. Because the show will get canned quickly OR even if it doesn't, it doesn't have the kind of viewership that extends into the comic world (especially for something like the Strain, which if it created any real hype, would have been directed to the books mores than at the comics) that can drive any significant sales.

Common sense would dictate that good shows have a greater chance of success than bad shows (except on FOX or if they're poorly scheduled for their target demo), and therefore a greater chance of longevity, keeping interest higher for longer. But whether this is accurate when it comes to something as often nonsensical as speculator hype? That's a good question.

In fairness a show that sucks to one doesn't to another. I myself think the Strain is a fun summer show to kick back with the family and watch because it simply is fun to watch and more importantly doesn't take itself as seriously as say idk Marvel Agents of Shield does. Chances are there is a market for these books if fans like the characters and if the show stays on a network great and if not that is cool too.

2c

In fairness a show that sucks to one doesn't to another. I myself think the Strain is a fun summer show to kick back with the family and watch because it simply is fun to watch and more importantly doesn't take itself as seriously as say idk Marvel Agents of Shield does. Chances are there is a market for these books if fans like the characters and if the show stays on a network great and if not that is cool too.

2c

Eh, I hate-watch the Strain personally. Mostly as an excuse to throw something at my tv for every time someone does something stupid during the summer (I'm lucky I still have my Bad Call Brick made of foam to throw. After getting up to pick it back up after about the 45th time I've thrown it at the tv each episode, it almost becomes a warmup to a workout.) Most of it is nonsensical (plot, character motivations & decisions, etc) but mindless nonsensical summer junk. About on par with Under the Dumb & whatever that god awful Halle Berry show was. I personally found it to take itself very seriously. Just poorly executed & riddled with gaping plot holes & character inconsistencies the size of Texas.

It also has a lower bar for what defines "success" than a network show. Cable shows generally do. And Fox needs to find some way to fill up airtime of original content on FX now that it's split the network into FX & FXX.

But poor taste aside, my point was a show like the Strain would likely create more interest to the books than the comics, if it creates interest at all. The same way that movie hype every time the Dark Tower gets talked about doesn't create hype for the comic adaptations that Marvel did, but just gets a few more people to pick up the books that haven't read them yet.

Edited by Doktor

2c

Eh, I hate-watch the Strain personally. Mostly as an excuse to throw something at my tv for every time someone does something stupid during the summer (I'm lucky I still have my Bad Call Brick made of foam to throw. After getting up to pick it back up after about the 45th time I've thrown it at the tv each episode, it almost becomes a warmup to a workout.) Most of it is nonsensical (plot, character motivations & decisions, etc) but mindless nonsensical summer junk. About on par with Under the Dumb & whatever that god awful Halle Berry show was. I personally found it to take itself very seriously. Just poorly executed & riddled with gaping plot holes & character inconsistencies the size of Texas.

It also has a lower bar for what defines "success" than a network show. Cable shows generally do. And Fox needs to find some way to fill up airtime of original content on FX now that it's split the network into FX & FXX.

But poor taste aside, my point was a show like the Strain would likely create more interest to the books than the comics, if it creates interest at all. The same way that movie hype every time the Dark Tower gets talked about doesn't create hype for the comic adaptations that Marvel did, but just gets a few more people to pick up the books that haven't read them yet.

Strain is one of the few shows I can't wait to watch the next episode. I love the creepy German vamp, love the flashbacks to the past and even like the current plot lines. Its not perfect and I do spend a lot of time yelling at the bratty little kid but its one of my favorite shows.