• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jessica Jones Netflix Alias #1

494 posts in this topic

I guess you don't think we've hit the peak?

For Alias #1? No. I think the book has been speculated on for almost half a decade. I bought my first copies on TV rumors in 2011. Speculators have had years to buy up copies, the book has been concentrated in "weak hands" (those looking to sell) for a long long time.

As far as print runs go, its not small, but its not large. I strongly believe (and have argued before), that NYX #3 is the closest analogue to Alias #1. Similar print runs, era of printing, with strong female leads.

NYX #3 derived its value from collectors more than speculators. Alias #1 is in the process of moving from the latter to the former. I think they should be of similar value, with Alias #1 moving to slightly stronger over time.

Jessica Jones is now, and will be for generations to come, a mainstream Marvel character. She is not going anywhere, and people who think her book will be akin to any sort of Image type rise and fall TV book are wrong, very wrong.

All that being said, short term whether the price keeps rising, or has peaked, depends on how many books the speculators dump on the market. Hence, my comment about supply vs demand. I said the supply is not small, (speculators hoarding for several years), but neither is the demand (permanently main-streamed female superhero touching on very serious subjects). Which one wins over the next few months is anybody's guess.

Long term, until Alias #1 matches or exceeds NYX #3 in price, I dont think it has peaked.

But, that being said, I also believe no one should be paying $300-$500 for modern books, the entire comic market is a giant bubble, slabbed (CGC or otherwise) books are a giant bubble, modern comics are a giant bubble, tv/movie optioned books are a giant bubble, etc.

Pricing is relative which I why I answered without a numerical value for a peak. If the whole market corrects, my view remains unchanged. Alias #1 is an analogue to NYX #3, it is now a true modern key, and should match or exceed NYX #3's value to be considered at its peak imo.

Havent had time to stay on top of the disinformation in this thread. No example has yet been given to equate Alias #1 to any other book, nor any cogent argument been given against my points.

The short-term price will be as I said back at the beginning(bolded above), dictated by supply and demand. NYX 3's value stemmed from collector interest, organically over time. As the price spurts come, it is onto a widely distributed book in strong hands, which prevents a massive flood of supply (constricted supply). If the same number of copies of NYX #3 were suddenly available on ebay as Alias #1 currently are, its price would dip as well. Because the book is dispersed and in strong hands it doesnt happen, so to is the future for Alias #1.

Alias #1 has been hoarded and speculated on since at least as early as 2011 (rumors predate Netflix, and were originally tied to Network TV). It is concentrated in weak hands, most of whom believe incorrectly about it like Jeff, and dont understand the ways in which it is different, and are looking to simply unload their supply.

As Alias #1 migrates from hoarded speculator book in weak hands, to collector driven dispersed book in strong hands, the overall trend will continue as it has. No one in this thread claimed that there wont be movements within that overall trend based on available supply. Anyone insinuating otherwise is outright lying.

The comparison between NYX #3 and Alias #1 targets the "end result" of a movement from speculator hoarded book, to collector driven 'key'. The two books are validly comparable due to the similar age of release and print run, as well as character type, and with Jessica Jones now permanently more mainstream I justify my claim of a slight nod to Alias when it reaches its peak.

**Edit (side note on valid and invalid comparisons)

Image based tv shows which will air and then be done, villains who appear in a one and done fashion, and books (1st starlord) which dont actually match the character portrayed are all patently invalid comparisons to Alias #1.

Jessica Jones as a character is now a permanent fixture of the mainstream, and has had her relevance in Marvel permanently enhanced. There are other similar type books like this to which Alias #1 could be compared too, but they are very few in number. None of them are direct comparisons due to age and print run differences, and none of them follow a "peak at shows release" model that some here are blindly trying to attribute to Alias #1.

It will be interesting to see if the Alias fan base does indeed pass up the X-23 base of X-men/Women Fans.

Before the TV show it was a no brainer which one would go higher, now I am unsure due to the unpredictability of TV influence on books.

This next year should be interesting. Edit I have sold all my copies previously so I have no vested interest in either.

thought I would bump this post too, as its one of the few actually relevant and good posts to have occurred since I read the thread last.

Well said.

For Alias #1? No. I think the book has been speculated on for almost half a decade. I bought my first copies on TV rumors in 2011. Speculators have had years to buy up copies, the book has been concentrated in "weak hands" (those looking to sell) for a long long time.

As far as print runs go, its not small, but its not large. I strongly believe (and have argued before), that NYX #3 is the closest analogue to Alias #1. Similar print runs, era of printing, with strong female leads.

NYX #3 derived its value from collectors more than speculators. Alias #1 is in the process of moving from the latter to the former. I think they should be of similar value, with Alias #1 moving to slightly stronger over time.

Jessica Jones is now, and will be for generations to come, a mainstream Marvel character. She is not going anywhere, and people who think her book will be akin to any sort of Image type rise and fall TV book are wrong, very wrong.

All that being said, short term whether the price keeps rising, or has peaked, depends on how many books the speculators dump on the market. Hence, my comment about supply vs demand. I said the supply is not small, (speculators hoarding for several years), but neither is the demand (permanently main-streamed female superhero touching on very serious subjects). Which one wins over the next few months is anybody's guess.

Long term, until Alias #1 matches or exceeds NYX #3 in price, I dont think it has peaked.

But, that being said, I also believe no one should be paying $300-$500 for modern books, the entire comic market is a giant bubble, slabbed (CGC or otherwise) books are a giant bubble, modern comics are a giant bubble, tv/movie optioned books are a giant bubble, etc.

Pricing is relative which I why I answered without a numerical value for a peak. If the whole market corrects, my view remains unchanged. Alias #1 is an analogue to NYX #3, it is now a true modern key, and should match or exceed NYX #3's value to be considered at its peak imo.

Havent had time to stay on top of the disinformation in this thread. No example has yet been given to equate Alias #1 to any other book, nor any cogent argument been given against my points.

The short-term price will be as I said back at the beginning(bolded above), dictated by supply and demand. NYX 3's value stemmed from collector interest, organically over time. As the price spurts come, it is onto a widely distributed book in strong hands, which prevents a massive flood of supply (constricted supply). If the same number of copies of NYX #3 were suddenly available on ebay as Alias #1 currently are, its price would dip as well. Because the book is dispersed and in strong hands it doesnt happen, so to is the future for Alias #1.

Alias #1 has been hoarded and speculated on since at least as early as 2011 (rumors predate Netflix, and were originally tied to Network TV). It is concentrated in weak hands, most of whom believe incorrectly about it like Jeff, and dont understand the ways in which it is different, and are looking to simply unload their supply.

As Alias #1 migrates from hoarded speculator book in weak hands, to collector driven dispersed book in strong hands, the overall trend will continue as it has. No one in this thread claimed that there wont be movements within that overall trend based on available supply. Anyone insinuating otherwise is outright lying.

The comparison between NYX #3 and Alias #1 targets the "end result" of a movement from speculator hoarded book, to collector driven 'key'. The two books are validly comparable due to the similar age of release and print run, as well as character type, and with Jessica Jones now permanently more mainstream I justify my claim of a slight nod to Alias when it reaches its peak.

Image based tv shows which will air and then be done, villains who appear in a one and done fashion, and books (1st starlord) which dont actually match the character portrayed are all patently invalid comparisons to Alias #1.

Jessica Jones as a character is now a permanent fixture of the mainstream, and has had her relevance in Marvel permanently enhanced. There are other similar type books like this to which Alias #1 could be compared too, but they are very few in number. None of them are direct comparisons due to age and print run differences, and none of them follow a "peak at shows release" model that some here are blindly trying to attribute to Alias #1.

You write so much but say so little. Your bolded "prediction" is nothing more than saying "we shall see". Well, you saw the peak. You watched it go. ;)

It will be interesting to see if the Alias fan base does indeed pass up the X-23 base of X-men/Women Fans.

Before the TV show it was a no brainer which one would go higher, now I am unsure due to the unpredictability of TV influence on books.

This next year should be interesting. Edit I have sold all my copies previously so I have no vested interest in either.

thought I would bump this post too, as its one of the few actually relevant and good posts to have occurred since I read the thread last.

Well said.

There's no need to try and be insulting, Simon. I asked if it peaked. You said no. Short term sales say it has just like every other book leading up to a movie release. No need to write endless pages trying to prove the contrary. (thumbs u

Interesting mental masturbation - I particularly like the "weak hands" vs. "strong hands" concept, assuming that the OP is a strong hands kinda guy. :grin:

No one's talking about the show on this thread... I couldn't give a fat rats what the books are selling for.

I thought the show was fantastic. And personally, think it's a better show than Daredevil, and I'm still a little bit petrified of David Tennant, although watching Doctor Who helps that a bit.

But, I think we can say with confidence that slabbed 9.8's will maintain the 250 to 300 range. NM raws will comfortably live in the 100 to 125 range. In addition, the book has jumped about $40 for raws in the last month, and about $75 for slabs. Maybe not alot of growth left, but the prices should be stable.

Definitely WILL NOT be a $100 raw book.

Wanna take that back?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alias-2001-Marvel-1-NM-9-2-9-4-1st-App-Jessica-Jones-NETFLIX-DAREDEVIL-HOT-/291617194280?hash=item43e5bd4128:g:z40AAOSwT4lWSNzZ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alias-1-Jessica-Jones-1st-app-NM-TO-NM-TV-SHOW-COMING-/231759099904?hash=item35f5eb3800:g:D7UAAOSwcdBWTpGW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIAS-1-2-3-Marvel-MAX-2001-FIRST-PRINTS-1st-Appearance-of-JESSICA-JONES-Netflix-/172003519285?hash=item280c356b35:g:WHAAAOSwIwhWTT3Z

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alias-1-NETFLIX-DAREDEVIL-BENDIS-GAYDOS-9-6-1st-JESSICA-JONES-NM-/262152012184?hash=item3d097a4198:g:bpQAAOSwLzdWTqSI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIAS-1-HIGH-GRADE-2001-MARVEL-MAX-COMICS-1st-JESSICA-JONES-NETFLIX-/201470733081?hash=item2ee8976b19:g:T8gAAOSwv-NWT9r4

Thanks, I did my research. For the past 2 weeks NM have been consistent on eBay around $100, this is a $40 jump from late September.

Nope, not taking anything back, as quoted:

But, I think we can say with confidence that slabbed 9.8's will maintain the 250 to 300 range. NM raws will comfortably live in the 100 to 125 range.

The fact that the early reviews are good to great should also help with the book for at least the short to mid term.

I'll take the bait. See you back here in a month.

11-20-15

:popcorn: