• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jessica Jones Netflix Alias #1

494 posts in this topic

Quite simply , this show has drafted off the success and (actual) popularity and acclaim of daredvil and traded on the good "Marvel Brand". There is much, much dissension with how "good" this show really was, and that is reflected in how it is already fading into oblivion (along with the book). That's not a knock against the book. But the show itself was a poor adaptation of what was already an obscure no-name character. If anything it proves that you can only scrape so far down in the barrel before you're just getting rust under your fingernails. If there was any chance of a second season , it would have been announced by now, just as marvel announced Daredevil season 2 a week or so after season 1 dropped. There is simply no reason for marvel to force out another season of this thin material about this genuinely unlikeable character and her annoying, enabling friends. As it is the prospect of her possibly showing up in other shows that I might be interested in is making me personally a little nervous, and even a tad turned off as to what may happen with those shows if marvel should feel the need to have her gratuitously popping up all over the place.

-J.

Seriously dude.. Just stop.

You hate the character. And the book.

We got it.

Now have a drink on me and smile a bit. We can all get along

lol I don't "hate" the character or the book. The production team behind the show? There may be a certain degree of disdain there. :tonofbricks:

I don't care if the book sells for $50 or $5000. I have no vested interest either way. I just want to see good adaptations that are actually good, and I don't think I should have to constantly be told how "good" a show is if it really is a good show.

Frankly I think this thread is morphing into just another pump thread that's trying to keep this book on life support for as long as absolutely possible. We can get along and be friends, but that doesn't necessarily mean we will always agree in our opinions. (thumbs u

-J.

Quite simply , this show has drafted off the success and (actual) popularity and acclaim of daredvil and traded on the good "Marvel Brand". There is much, much dissension with how "good" this show really was, and that is reflected in how it is already fading into oblivion (along with the book). That's not a knock against the book. But the show itself was a poor adaptation of what was already an obscure no-name character. If anything it only proves that you can only scrape so far down in the barrel before you're just getting rust under your fingernails. If there was any chance of a second season , it would have been announced by now, just as marvel announced Daredevil season 2 a week or so after season 1 dropped. There is simply no reason for marvel to force out another season of this thin material about this genuinely unlikeable character. As it is the prospect of her possibly showing up in other shows that I might be interested in is making me personally a little nervous, and even a tad turned off as to what may happen with those shows if marvel should feel the need to have her popping up all over the place.

-J.

What did you dislike about the show compared to the book ?

The writing was atrocious, the fight scenes were poorly choreographed and boring, the depiction of Luke Cage and their alleged "chemistry" was embarassing , character motivations were weak and random as was the depiction of her powers, the subplots about her friends were extraneous and unnecessary filler, too many repititious sequences involving kilgrave, and overall the show was about 9 episodes too long (4 would have been enough, those who are saying 8 would have been better are still being too generous). 2c

-J.

We watched 2 different TV shows. lol

JJ is a seriously screwed up individual in print as well as on the screen. I loved how Cage was portrayed but I must admit, I've been a fan of his since the '70s. I like that he was more low key as '70s Power Man would have been cheesy. The "friends" characters are being built for the long term. Purple Man was considerably more powerful and effective in the show than in the book. If you were looking for spandex, this isn't going to be your show. She's a tortured soul and the show put that out. As for special effects, Marvel leaves a lot to be desired in general.

Yes I agree the seeds of what you say were certainly there and they definitely had the material available to them to make a solid limited run show. I respect your opinion 100%. I just think the execution was meh

-J.

Quite simply , this show has drafted off the success and (actual) popularity and acclaim of daredvil and traded on the good "Marvel Brand". There is much, much dissension with how "good" this show really was, and that is reflected in how it is already fading into oblivion (along with the book). That's not a knock against the book. But the show itself was a poor adaptation of what was already an obscure no-name character. If anything it proves that you can only scrape so far down in the barrel before you're just getting rust under your fingernails. If there was any chance of a second season , it would have been announced by now, just as marvel announced Daredevil season 2 a week or so after season 1 dropped. There is simply no reason for marvel to force out another season of this thin material about this genuinely unlikeable character and her annoying, enabling friends. As it is the prospect of her possibly showing up in other shows that I might be interested in is making me personally a little nervous, and even a tad turned off as to what may happen with those shows if marvel should feel the need to have her gratuitously popping up all over the place.

-J.

We got it.

lol I don't "hate" the character or the book. The production team behind the show? There may be a certain degree of disdain there. :tonofbricks:

I don't care if the book sells for $50 or $5000. I have no vested interest either way. I just want to see good adaptations that are actually good, and I don't think I should have to constantly be told how "good" a show is if it really is a good show.

Frankly I think this thread is morphing into just another pump thread that's trying to keep this book on life support for as long as absolutely possible. We can get along and be friends, but that doesn't necessarily mean we will always agree in our opinions. (thumbs u

-J.

Whos talking about sales? you were talking about how the show sucked

Read what you wrote and what I highlighted. NOTHING mentions anything about sales of the book.

But you just gave it away by clarifying now.

Thanks for explaining

-J.

We got it.

-J.

Read what you wrote and what I highlighted. NOTHING mentions anything about sales of the book.

Thanks for explaining

You may want to scroll back a page or two. ;)

-J.

-J.

We got it.

-J.

Thanks for explaining

-J.

Why? Im relating to what you wrote. Your attitude towards the show and character/book was EXTREMELY negative. Not based on sales. All of a sudden you bring up the "I dont care if the book is 50 or 5k" WHERE DID THAT COME FROM lol

-J.

We got it.

-J.

Thanks for explaining

-J.

Why? Im relating to what you wrote. Your attitude towards the show and character/book was EXTREMELY negative. Not based on sales. All of a sudden you bring up the "I dont care if the book is 50 or 5k" WHERE DID THAT COME FROM lol

Because I know that many on here do. :blush:

-J.

What material will they be using though ? (shrug)

They didn't even have enough for one "season". And the character was wearing pretty thin even by the end of it. I think Marvel/Netflix is smart enough to know what shows and characters really did work and translate well (Daredevil), and which ones were noble experiments that didn't quite pan out (Jessica Jones).

-J.

I actually think that this won't get a second season. BUT I do think there will be a Heroes for Hire tv season at some point, like a true detective show with Luke and Danny investigating a weird case that keeps crossing the path of Jessica Jones.

It is funny you mention the JJ issue, I have several non-comic friends and family who loved Daredevil but hated JJ. In fact, I just had this discussion with my sister-in-law about this subject today. I know several people here on the boards have raved about it, but how many non-comic fans liked that series? My sister-in-law just said it was dark and none of the characters were likable.

I haven't watched it yet and so far I'm being told it was not good. I never read the comic, only have a passing familiarity with Daredevil when he crossed over with other MU heroes, and I did enjoy the first 5 or 6 episodes of Daredevil (another series I have yet to finish.) Is JJ a series I will enjoy?

If you don't like dark, skip it. It isn't a "happy" story. I personally liked it but I like all good material whether it be lighthearted, middle of the road, or ultra violent. The villain in the TV show was much better than the same guy in the comic and I really liked how bad he was in the book. Everybody that has mentioned it to me had mostly positive things to say. These boards are the only place I've seen negatives.

Rotten Tomatoes reviews are very high

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/jessica-jones/s01/

As are IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2357547/

If you already have netflix, it won't cost anything to give it a try.

Merry Christmas :)

Agreed... Everyone outside of these boards loved it. Including my wife who doesn't care for anything comic related.

Yup.

That is why JJ will have a role in Defenders and Luke Cage......which will help build momentum....and more plot lines to explore in tandem...for a 2nd season of Alias.

The book is seeing a slump now, not surprising as she is not presently being shown on other Netflixs shows but that will likely change soon enough.

There's not going to be a second season of this show.

You can feel free to rub this declaration in my face if I should be proven wrong. (I won't be).

The book isn't in a"slump" right now. It is at the end of its speculative cycle and the masses (speculators) are dumping all their copies now to move onto the next "thing".

-J.

So you say.

Based on the overall interest in the character, the show being a hit and the near definitive fact that JJ will be in Defenders and Cage, I have to disagree.

KR stated she has to be tight lipped about a 2nd season, due to contractual obligations WRT the timeline of Defenders being filmed.

My take is that around the time Defenders hits, the 2nd season of Alias will be promoted.

Look at the Strain #1, for comparison of speculation cycles.Even with the 2nd season being confirmed, the book has slumped even further than Alias #1 has.When the Strain comes back on air, prices will shoot upwards again.

Speculators/collectors are a fickle, short sighted group.That explains drops and surges in prices.Overlooking the forest for the trees is a perfect analogy.

The market on these sorts of books invariably comes in cycles.

Even well established books like Walking Dead are subject to this.

The market fluctuates greatly but it always corrects itself.

Keep in mind I am not suggesting Alias #1 will not be a $1000 or $2000 book but I think , after interest/speculation is piqued again, it will likely hit the $400 mark.

That is why I am not joining the herd and selling my CGC 9.8 for $250, now.

I will say that if I had the CGC 9.8 #1 in my hands a couple months ago, I would have taken $350 for it.

You may want to check your data again. Your examples do not justify your claims on the future prices of alias. Also keep in mind the Alias market more closely resembles the movie hype price than it does a TV show price. It was a real long movie given how it was released.

And it will be another considerable amount of time, before the 3nd season of Alias airs.

The high on Alias #1 CGC 9.8 was $350-$390.

Most movie/TV books tend to float between $200-$400 i.e. 100 Bullets #1 is around $225.Another example would be The Strain #1....which had a GPA average of around $275, last year.

Last CGC 9.8 sold for about $60.

OTOH, IZombie 1 and HOM 1 dipped considerably but were showing renewed interest in CGC 9.8, IIRC.Last time I checked was before the current season ended.

Preacher 1 has outperformed Alias 1 by 300%, when the Preacher trailer hit.That was a similiarly long waited movie that became a show, albeit on Netflix.

WRT the WD analogy:

Sales spike at the start of each season.

I don't have a crystal ball , informing me that Alias will be renewed and what its' future sales will be, either ...but based on what I have related, I do not think that JJ/Alias #1 will be kept on a downward spiral for all that long.

If you can/care to cite out specifically where you disagree with me, I'd appreciate it.

What material will they be using though ? (shrug)

They didn't even have enough for one "season". And the character was wearing pretty thin even by the end of it. I think Marvel/Netflix is smart enough to know what shows and characters really did work and translate well (Daredevil), and which ones were noble experiments that didn't quite pan out (Jessica Jones).

-J.

I actually think that this won't get a second season. BUT I do think there will be a Heroes for Hire tv season at some point, like a true detective show with Luke and Danny investigating a weird case that keeps crossing the path of Jessica Jones.

It is funny you mention the JJ issue, I have several non-comic friends and family who loved Daredevil but hated JJ. In fact, I just had this discussion with my sister-in-law about this subject today. I know several people here on the boards have raved about it, but how many non-comic fans liked that series? My sister-in-law just said it was dark and none of the characters were likable.

I haven't watched it yet and so far I'm being told it was not good. I never read the comic, only have a passing familiarity with Daredevil when he crossed over with other MU heroes, and I did enjoy the first 5 or 6 episodes of Daredevil (another series I have yet to finish.) Is JJ a series I will enjoy?

If you don't like dark, skip it. It isn't a "happy" story. I personally liked it but I like all good material whether it be lighthearted, middle of the road, or ultra violent. The villain in the TV show was much better than the same guy in the comic and I really liked how bad he was in the book. Everybody that has mentioned it to me had mostly positive things to say. These boards are the only place I've seen negatives.

Rotten Tomatoes reviews are very high

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/jessica-jones/s01/

As are IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2357547/

If you already have netflix, it won't cost anything to give it a try.

Merry Christmas :)

Agreed... Everyone outside of these boards loved it. Including my wife who doesn't care for anything comic related.

Yup.

That is why JJ will have a role in Defenders and Luke Cage......which will help build momentum....and more plot lines to explore in tandem...for a 2nd season of Alias.

The book is seeing a slump now, not surprising as she is not presently being shown on other Netflixs shows but that will likely change soon enough.

There's not going to be a second season of this show.

You can feel free to rub this declaration in my face if I should be proven wrong. (I won't be).

The book isn't in a"slump" right now. It is at the end of its speculative cycle and the masses (speculators) are dumping all their copies now to move onto the next "thing".

-J.

So you say.

Based on the overall interest in the character, the show being a hit and the near definitive fact that JJ will be in Defenders and Cage, I have to disagree.

KR stated she has to be tight lipped about a 2nd season, due to contractual obligations WRT the timeline of Defenders being filmed.

My take is that around the time Defenders hits, the 2nd season of Alias will be promoted.

Look at the Strain #1, for comparison of speculation cycles.Even with the 2nd season being confirmed, the book has slumped even further than Alias #1 has.When the Strain comes back on air, prices will shoot upwards again.

Speculators/collectors are a fickle, short sighted group.That explains drops and surges in prices.Overlooking the forest for the trees is a perfect analogy.

The market on these sorts of books invariably comes in cycles.

Even well established books like Walking Dead are subject to this.

The market fluctuates greatly but it always corrects itself.

Keep in mind I am not suggesting Alias #1 will not be a $1000 or $2000 book but I think , after interest/speculation is piqued again, it will likely hit the $400 mark.

That is why I am not joining the herd and selling my CGC 9.8 for $250, now.

I will say that if I had the CGC 9.8 #1 in my hands a couple months ago, I would have taken $350 for it.

You may want to check your data again. Your examples do not justify your claims on the future prices of alias. Also keep in mind the Alias market more closely resembles the movie hype price than it does a TV show price. It was a real long movie given how it was released.

And it will be another considerable amount of time, before the 3nd season of Alias airs.

The high on Alias #1 CGC 9.8 was $350-$390.

Most movie/TV books tend to float between $200-$400 i.e. 100 Bullets #1 is around $225.Another example would be The Strain #1....which had a GPA average of around $275, last year.

OTOH, IZombie 1 and HOM 1 dipped considerably but were showing renewed interest in CGC 9.8, IIRC.Last time I checked was before the current season ended.

Preacher 1 has outperformed Alias 1 by 300%, when the Preacher trailer hit.That was a similiarly long waited movie that became a show, albeit on Netflix.

WRT the WD analogy:

Sales spike at the start of each season.

I don't have a crystal ball , informing me that Alias will be renewed and what its' future sales will be, either ...but based on what I have related, I do not think that JJ/Alias #1 will be kept on a downward spiral for all that long.

If you can/care to cite out specifically where you disagree with me, I'd appreciate it.

The idea that Alias 1 will be come a $350 again if a 2nd season is announced. Your examples show otherwise (except WD) so why would you make that claim?

I've said before that I thought the show was just OK and that's the consensus from my friends, facebook friends, relatives and bar buddies. The only ones of that crowd who loved it are SJW's and it's probably because they feel like they have to, you know them, they buy Butch Planet but don't actually read it, they just want to be seen holding it at the LCS register.

JJ is very unlikable and I LOVE unlikable characters, but couldn't stand her in the show, lousy choice of an actress perhaps because her monotone droning didn't win me over as someone who would say "I want to see more of this person."

As far as JJ being a "tortured soul", please. Adam Warlock, Norrin Radd and Simon Garth are tortured souls. JJ is just a skank with a stick up her arse who makes you root for the villain

Simon Garth had it coming. lol

I don't see how you think this fun loving superhero being put through what JJ was wouldn't make you a tortured soul. Very few characters in Marvel comics have gone through a lot worse. Your mind is your sanctuary. Her's is hell. 2c

Really? That seems like fluke if it was.

That Strain 1 (not Alias 1, to be clear) was probably an auction sale.i remember it was an odd figure.So yeah, not as high as the other recent BIN sales.

But the 90 day average is below $100, for sure.It is pretty much a $100 book now, last I checked.Which is more than a 50% drop off from its' 12 month average.

I'd be shocked if they had a second season without Purple Man. I thought the show was ok but would have been pretty much unwatchable without Tennant. Alias 1 may be a solid long term pick since it sounds like she is sticking around for other shows and its a pretty sweet cover.

I'd be shocked if they had a second season without Purple Man. I thought the show was ok but would have been pretty much unwatchable without Tennant. Alias 1 may be a solid long term pick since it sounds like she is sticking around for other shows and its a pretty sweet cover.

I agree with this take. I really wanted to like the show but I thought it was poorly executed. I thought the acting was stiff, the character motivations difficult to ascertain, I didn't connect with JJ but I didn't like Ritter's character in Breaking Bad either, I think she would have done better as a villain. The high points were Tennant (I found him to be a more relatable tortured soul) and the lady that played Calamity Jane in Deadwood, I thought she was great.

I love The Strain and while the show has deviated away from the source material several times, the story is finite. The trilogy of books and comics which it's based on have already ended and sure the show could last a few more years but in the end, well it's meant to end.

Also, how many Dark Horse titles actually retain their value, leaving out the 1st appearances of Hellboy and Aliens?

I love The Strain and while the show has deviated away from the source material several times, the story is finite. The trilogy of books and comics which it's based on have already ended and sure the show could last a few more years but in the end, well it's meant to end.

Also, how many Dark Horse titles actually retain their value, leaving out the 1st appearances of Hellboy and Aliens?

I was not aware that the Strain had wrapped up its storyline in books/comics, that explains a lot as to the Strain #1 has tanked.

Like 1Cool and Awelander have said, even if JJ does not get a 2nd season, she will be sticking around as a fuxture in other Netflix shows so Alias 1 should be a solid book over the long term.

I just don't get the hate for Alias/JJ in this thread.

I thought the show was great as well as the comic.

For the record I have already sold any and all copies of Alias #1 and I still love the show and hope the comic continues to climb, shocker huh?

For the record I have already sold any and all copies of Alias #1 and I still love the show and hope the comic continues to climb, shocker huh?

+1 except never had an Alias 1. Although i could hAve one buried in one of my boxes. The show was fun, lets leave it at that. Jeesh.

+1

I can understand people not liking the show/character. But to hate it with such passion.. There's just gotta be an elevated motive for that dont you think?

+1

I can understand people not liking the show/character. But to hate it with such passion.. There's just gotta be an elevated motive for that dont you think?

These interwebs are fairly negative anyways right? doh!