• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mycomicshop.com question

86 posts in this topic

I remember some guy saying he wouldn't order from them because they had X amount of negatives. When it was pointed out they have over 99% favorable, he said that didn't matter at all, it was only negatives that count. Frankly, I'd rather not deal with people with so little understanding of reality.

Let's not beat around the bush, here.

It is true that Buddy (the owner of MCS) has a short temper. He has banned people, including some of the "most respected people on this board" (quotes used purposely) for actions that most of you reading this wouldn't consider ban-able. And yes, negatives in the aggregate DO make a difference, Shad.

It is true that Beth Abbott was not qualified as a customer service representative, and this undoubtedly created more problems beyond mine. Hopefully, she's either been retrained or moved on.

It is also true that Conan (Buddy's son) has gone out of his way to address issues that, admittedly, didn't need to be created in the first place, but he has addressed them, listened to concerns (and, yes, complaints, some of them admittedly quite vociferous...I refer to myself, here, and others), and done what he could to make MCS a better place to do business.

It is also true that Este Bogato has been TOP NOTCH, having dealt with her directly for several clients now. Completely professional, affable, and just a pleasure to deal with.

It is also true that MCS takes a "not a big deal" approach to books valued at less than $10, meaning, it's a bit of a crapshoot what you're going to get. It may be Fine, it may be a 9.8, it may be a VF.

All these things are true. I don't like how MCS has handled things in the past, and I've made that well known. Neither excessive cheerleading nor excessive naysaying is fair or appropriate. People have had bad experiences with them, and people have had good experiences. The one doesn't negate the other.

But as long as they keep moving in a positive direction...and TRAINED Customer Service is a MUST MUST MUST, and Este is a WONDERFUL step in the right direction...clone her....then things will be good.

For mega-sellers it's probably a tough call. If they can weed out the 1% that's creating 80% of returns and conflicts, they'd almost have to. A reaction no different than Threads here where dozens of posts quickly appear "what's the user name so I can block them?"

That line between 'prudent business practice' and overkill has to be a perilous one. No quality outfit wants to toss hard won customers.

Yup. The customer is NOT always right.

That's the attitude of someone who isn't looking to grow their business.

No, it's a reflection of the fact that some people are either irrational, unreasonable or just not worth doing business with for whatever reason. I'm sure the majority of business owners would agree that the saying 'the customer is always right' is not wholely accurate.

I think the % of customers who we as business people have to "fire" or "ban" is extremely small.

I've only let go of a client twice in my almost 20 years of doing business. It's not comic business but it's business.

There are plenty of demanding customers who may get under your skin. I deal with it often (almost daily) but if I decided that all those customers who get under my skin should be let go also...I would never grow my business.

I see getting rid of a customer as a very rare occurrence in one's business. I saw it happening with MCS several times over the past few years. That's too much for my tastes.

If you as a business owner think it's good policy to ban anyone who gives you a little trouble..then I think it's not a recipe for growth.

That's not what i said, though... I said the customer is not always right. You disagreed, which means that you believe the customer is always right. So that means you let your client go even if you thought they were right.

I was talking about people like your client, where letting them go was the right thing to do for YOUR business.

So which is it? Is the customer ALWAYS right or not?

To the customer, they are always right. I can disagree with them, but still preserve their sense of being right. I can say "I understand your position, and can see why you would believe that way. I appreciate and respect your position, and since we don't see eye to eye on it, I would be pleased to recommend a number of my competitors who might better be able to suit your needs."

Customer is still right....in their mind....and I haven't created unnecessary ill-will.

It's not an absolute truth (the customer may, in fact, be dead wrong), but rather a perception that can be preserved.

For mega-sellers it's probably a tough call. If they can weed out the 1% that's creating 80% of returns and conflicts, they'd almost have to. A reaction no different than Threads here where dozens of posts quickly appear "what's the user name so I can block them?"

That line between 'prudent business practice' and overkill has to be a perilous one. No quality outfit wants to toss hard won customers.

No, it's a reflection of the fact that some people are either irrational, unreasonable or just not worth doing business with for whatever reason. I'm sure the majority of business owners would agree that the saying 'the customer is always right' is not wholely accurate.

I think the % of customers who we as business people have to "fire" or "ban" is extremely small.

I've only let go of a client twice in my almost 20 years of doing business. It's not comic business but it's business.

There are plenty of demanding customers who may get under your skin. I deal with it often (almost daily) but if I decided that all those customers who get under my skin should be let go also...I would never grow my business.

I see getting rid of a customer as a very rare occurrence in one's business. I saw it happening with MCS several times over the past few years. That's too much for my tastes.

If you as a business owner think it's good policy to ban anyone who gives you a little trouble..then I think it's not a recipe for growth.

That's not what i said, though... I said the customer is not always right. You disagreed, which means that you believe the customer is always right. So that means you let your client go even if you thought they were right.

I was talking about people like your client, where letting them go was the right thing to do for YOUR business.

To the customer, they are always right. I can disagree with them, but still preserve their sense of being right. I can say "I understand your position, and can see why you would believe that way. I appreciate and respect your position, and since we don't see eye to eye on it, I would be pleased to recommend a number of my competitors who might better be able to suit your needs."

Customer is still right....in their mind....and I haven't created unnecessary ill-will.

It's not an absolute truth (the customer may, in fact, be dead wrong), but rather a perception that can be preserved.

You almost sound like a decent person :roflmao:

RMA is a damned fine person. He does feel strongly about a lot of things and has the energy and resolve to debate his position about things that some people consider minutia. But that doesn't make him a bad person. :acclaim:

I have always taken the phrase "the customer is always right" to not actually mean the customer is always right, but you try and treat them like they are.

I always tell my staff- Be nice, until its time not to be nice.

That works for me.

Being nice really does work. It really is the key to keeping the peace, and that's your job when you are working security or bouncing. Fighting and getting physical with people should be a last resort. The potential for someone getting hurt, property being damaged, and lawsuits being filed, increases when things go physical. Yes, sometimes it's necessary. That's why it is also important to be trained in a variety of physical responses to handle those situations with the minimum amount of force needed to control the situation and end it quickly. But besides your martial training to physically control people, it is crucial to also study communication and how to effectively deal with people without going physical, and the first key is Be Nice

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5315399

No, it's a reflection of the fact that some people are either irrational, unreasonable or just not worth doing business with for whatever reason. I'm sure the majority of business owners would agree that the saying 'the customer is always right' is not wholly accurate.
It may not even be that. Once a company gets to a certain size, data and reality have to be examined regularly. Right?

A certain percentage of customers could be right as rain, but percentage-wise they also add the least to the bottom line while creating the majority of customer service efforts and aggravations.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but wouldn't letting that small percentage go, kindly and professionally, actually increase growth potential (not to mention morale)?

I have always taken the phrase "the customer is always right" to not actually mean the customer is always right, but you try and treat them like they are.

I always tell my staff- Be nice, until its time not to be nice.

That works for me.

I hope you don't go around ripping people's throats out.

Too bloody. Tear off a testicle instead. Most of the blood is contained by the guys underwear and pants. Perhaps not as good a visual deterrent, but the number of people who continue causing trouble with a torn up scrotum is remarkably low.

Too bloody. Tear off a testicle instead. Most of the blood is contained by the guys underwear and pants. Perhaps not as good a visual deterrent, but the number of people who continue causing trouble with a torn up scrotum is remarkably low.

:sick:

You lie to them like there right

No MCS does not use stock photos on books over $10 (takes 10 seconds to test that, so strange someone would suggest such a disparaging comment) , and yes they tightly grade compare to the other big guy, milehigh.

This forum also is not affiliated to MCS. A customer of theirs would, you would think, read their policies on their site, or call them with questions, but why stop at 50 threads over the years on this site about them.

Is asking a question suggesting it? Your response seems a bit harsh.

I'll also admit that I don't buy anything over $10 from them. I usually buy runs of moderns and have been happy with my purchases.

You actually capitalized the NOT before... not the ALWAYS. But you are correct NOT ALWAYS.

I guess what I'm saying is the customer should be right 99.9% of the time.

Ok?

I don't understand what difference the capitalization makes. The point is the same regardless of how I stated it...customers are not always right.

No, it's a reflection of the fact that some people are either irrational, unreasonable or just not worth doing business with for whatever reason. I'm sure the majority of business owners would agree that the saying 'the customer is always right' is not wholly accurate.
It may not even be that. Once a company gets to a certain size, data and reality have to be examined regularly. Right?

A certain percentage of customers could be right as rain, but percentage-wise they also add the least to the bottom line while creating the majority of customer service efforts and aggravations.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but wouldn't letting that small percentage go, kindly and professionally, actually increase growth potential (not to mention morale)?

Sure. Business is all about balanced relationships and as long as the relationship works everything is fine. Some customers feel the money they spend with a company not only buys them product, but also a sense of entitlement. If they're overstepping rational boundaries with their entitlement that's no longer a relationship that works.

When relationships don't work, sometimes the only option is to cut the cord, so to speak.

I've taken it to mean that some customers may actually be wrong. And I'm OK with benefit of the doubt, bending over backwards, etc but if it happens to be an often reoccurring problem (ie the guy keeps coming back for a fresh peach) with only specific customers then maybe the problem is not the product or the service and the problem is the customer themselves.

In a case like that, the customer is 'not right' and better off being told (politely) to do business elsewhere.

I have traded with them a few times over the years. My experience is that they are very harsh on grading, but they do sell the items at the same grade that they buy it at. That seems to be their business model. Since most buyers understand that they under-grade they can receive ask and often get a higher price for the stated grade. While this is not the most fair method of insuring a profit, it is vastly superior than under-grading on the buy side and over-grading on the sell side that others use.

I have sent off batches of books to them a few times over the years and am planning on doing another one in the next day or so. Out of 200 books perhaps 5 make it to the consignment level and the remainder are just evaluated with a take it or leave it offer. If you don't take it there is a charge to get books back which is not unreasonable given the effort they put forth.

They have a marvelous selection of books, and an excellent website,

After this current transaction I expect that mycomicshop will enter the top 10 FOUR COLOR trading partners. I try to only trade for books valued at more than $20

If someone is making their first purchase they can use the link below and I should get some small referral fee.

Conan and ESTE have been very good to work with.

Here are a couple of books I got from them in an earlier transaction. i was very happy when they removed the cap on the value of a book that you could purchase with trade credit

fc108DDTerroroftheRIver_zps6d30ec5f.jpg

fc1332BachelorFather_zpsd1bee887.jpg

RMA is a damned fine person. He does feel strongly about a lot of things and has the energy and resolve to debate his position about things that some people consider minutia. But that doesn't make him a bad person. :acclaim:

:cloud9: