• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Comic-Con will Still be a 3 day con, Sept. 2-4, 2016

262 posts in this topic

I always try to provide some info from the Cons I set up at and Baltimore will be no different. I did pretty well on my onsite grading (other then a few WTH did I miss books) so that was a big plus. I loved splitting a booth with Murph since he is just a cool laid back guy and always fun to talk to. Hanging out with Hector and other board members was also great and the people really make the weekend.

In terms of how the weekend went it was really a bad experience all the way around. I found the buyers at Baltimore were either looking for 4 or 5 keys books (got a 1st squirrel girl or HOS 92?) or they were just crazy frugal. Couple guys said "you have the lowest prices on X or Y books - can I get 20% off?" I did horribly and will definitely not be back next year unless it's to do some slabbing and buying. Did WAY better at Wizard Cleveland for slightly more money so I'll just stick to the local shows for the time being. The show was well put together and there was a lot of buyers but I just didn't have the right books to make it a good show for me.

I didn't buy a single book all weekend except for a couple foil Suicide and Harley Quinn exclusives that Hector got me. Too busy the set up day and there just didn't seem to be any books calling my name (but it may have just been the funk I was in from not selling much).

Funny, every dealer I went to had books marked at stupid prices that ANY offer would look lowball. Literally the only copper/modern dealer I dealt with was the guy who runs the show and a few books from gators back stock. Some sample prices of books I looked at.

Teen Titans 44 - F to VF+ avg grade, priced from $49-$85.00 (FMV 30-65.00)

New Mutants 98 - VF- to NM avg grade, priced from $299 to $400.00 (FMV $150- $250)

Teen Titans 2 VF copies avg price $175-250, FMV (about $150-175)

So basically everything for sale was priced similar to slabbed sales but without half the grading ability. NOw granted I did not hit every booth, but I got a gauge on the floor after about 12 booths.

Names to be left off this list Basement, High Grade, Graham Crackers, Bedrock, Earl Shaw, and Flying Donut.

If these are graded accurately (often a big if at shows) these asking prices you listed don't seem that nutty. You've got several ask ranges that overlap your FMV estimates, and I would assume that most sellers price for the haggle. It's a fairly reasonable expectation to get 10% off the sticker if you ask. I'm not seeing stupid pricing in your examples. Maybe it's just me.

I always try to provide some info from the Cons I set up at and Baltimore will be no different. I did pretty well on my onsite grading (other then a few WTH did I miss books) so that was a big plus. I loved splitting a booth with Murph since he is just a cool laid back guy and always fun to talk to. Hanging out with Hector and other board members was also great and the people really make the weekend.

In terms of how the weekend went it was really a bad experience all the way around. I found the buyers at Baltimore were either looking for 4 or 5 keys books (got a 1st squirrel girl or HOS 92?) or they were just crazy frugal. Couple guys said "you have the lowest prices on X or Y books - can I get 20% off?" I did horribly and will definitely not be back next year unless it's to do some slabbing and buying. Did WAY better at Wizard Cleveland for slightly more money so I'll just stick to the local shows for the time being. The show was well put together and there was a lot of buyers but I just didn't have the right books to make it a good show for me.

I didn't buy a single book all weekend except for a couple foil Suicide and Harley Quinn exclusives that Hector got me. Too busy the set up day and there just didn't seem to be any books calling my name (but it may have just been the funk I was in from not selling much).

Funny, every dealer I went to had books marked at stupid prices that ANY offer would look lowball. Literally the only copper/modern dealer I dealt with was the guy who runs the show and a few books from gators back stock. Some sample prices of books I looked at.

New Mutants 98 - VF- to NM avg grade, priced from $299 to $400.00 (FMV $150- $250)

So basically everything for sale was priced similar to slabbed sales but without half the grading ability. NOw granted I did not hit every booth, but I got a gauge on the floor after about 12 booths.

Names to be left off this list Basement, High Grade, Graham Crackers, Bedrock, Earl Shaw, and Flying Donut.

That's about how I felt. Any modern image book was listed at least double FMV. In many cases the raws were listed at slabbed prices. It just didn't make sense to make offers on those books.

I'm sure there were deals to be had for many, but this did not seem like a good place to shop for moderns.

If these are graded accurately (often a big if at shows) these asking prices you listed don't seem that nutty. You've got several ask ranges that overlap your FMV estimates, and I would assume that most sellers price for the haggle. It's a fairly reasonable expectation to get 10% off the sticker if you ask. I'm not seeing stupid pricing in your examples. Maybe it's just me.

mathematically you would need a 30% discount on most books and dealers cap about 15-20%.

mathematically you would need a 30% discount on most books and dealers cap about 15-20%.

You need to hang out with me.

That's about how I felt. Any modern image book was listed at least double FMV. In many cases the raws were listed at slabbed prices. It just didn't make sense to make offers on those books.

I'm sure there were deals to be had for many, but this did not seem like a good place to shop for moderns.

There were a few dealers off the beaten path who were not too bad, but overall I agree.

You need to hand out with me.

sounds sexy

sounds sexy

I'll put it this way. It is better than a 15% discount.

Sorry you got the shaft, I set up at Baltimore 3 years ago and had the same experience.

I ended up grossing about $1700 for the entire show...I remember trying to tell you not to get a booth at Baltimore months ago (tsk)

There are two ways to make money at Baltimore:

1) Blow higher priced books out well below FMV.

Even if you want to flat out get rid of your stock, option 1 is not good because the area is "very frugal", as you noted.Set up at a Carbo con and find a NY dealer, if you want to go that route, the majority of buyers in NYC aren't lowballers.The economics in NY are a world removed from Baltimore.

Baltimore is basically a dumping ground, the majority of books from the 60's to 90's were printed in the north east coast, in or around NY.

Local economics for selling books in MD sucks for several reasons.Basically, the glut ends up at a con like Baltimore and with so much of it, the competition forces all of the prices down.

2) Have a customer base that will fly to the show to buy higher end books from a few dealers along the lines of dealers like Greg Reece, Gator, Al Stolz etc

For smaller dealers, Baltimore is good for 2 things-.Buying books and having books slabbed onsite.

sounds sexy

I'll put it this way. It is better than a 15% discount.

:whee:

:doh:

He's an awesome dude

It's easier to remember the money than the names right?

:cry:

Just associate each dealer with a different denomination and it'll make it easier to remember.

He's an awesome dude

Just associate each dealer with a different denomination and it'll make it easier to remember.

Hamlin, Hamilton, Alexander Hamilton :sumo:

He's an awesome dude

Hamlin, Hamilton, Alexander Hamilton :sumo:

lol I bet you start using it now