• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Comic-Con will Still be a 3 day con, Sept. 2-4, 2016

262 posts in this topic

We had a great sales show ...in fact Sunday we had a buyer counting out 5 figures of $100 bills to buy an af15 until his wife stopped it.

I sold my only AF 15 after the wife approved it. lol

Was a great show for me and I plan on returning.

Sold

TMNT 1 CGC 7.0

X-men 1 CGC 7.0

ASM 129 CGC 9.4 and CGC 9.2

TOS 39 CGC 5.0

Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.6

TOS 58 CGC 9.2

AF 15 CGC 1.8 restored

X-men 58 CGC 9.4

Actually sold 2 of my 8 boxes of Marvel silver/bronze high grade CGC slabs

Sold 3 long boxes of my half off inventory and 4 boxes of my $5 and under comics.

All of this was inventory that didn't move at Wizard Chicago.

It could be a lot of board members visit my booth at various shows and I just don't know who you are but if you would just introduce yourself to me I'll make you a great deal or try at least.

This offer extends to board members who can't get to show before doors open!

Leroy

I generally don't discount much if at all. I base my pricing on my cost most of the time, not necessarily gpa etc. , though I'm typically around FMv ...my goal is to net about 10% (seems to be a very fair margin)

We had a great sales show ...in fact Sunday we had a buyer counting out 5 figures of $100 bills to buy an af15 until his wife stopped it doh!

I found there to be a lot of buyers in Baltimore and it did help that I had 3-8 copies of high demand books (like hos92, new tt 2, dd168 etc). We also sold a bunch of timelys , ga DC , multiple copies of sa keys , hulk 181, ba12, etc

It's quickly becoming one of my best annual shows and I really appreciate everyone's patronage

I was at your booth Saturday when that guy & his wife were there. Was going to ask you if he came back Sunday to buy anything.

I suck at names, who are you again? I know your Emily's husband but I forgot what your name is? :baiting:

I suck worse at names. I called you Ramon! lol

Sorry Hector

I call him El Gato. He pounces in...buys books and leaves without ever seeing or hearing him.

I stepped on his tail once :(

I generally don't discount much if at all. I base my pricing on my cost most of the time, not necessarily gpa etc. , though I'm typically around FMv ...my goal is to net about 10% (seems to be a very fair margin)

We had a great sales show ...in fact Sunday we had a buyer counting out 5 figures of $100 bills to buy an af15 until his wife stopped it doh!

I found there to be a lot of buyers in Baltimore and it did help that I had 3-8 copies of high demand books (like hos92, new tt 2, dd168 etc). We also sold a bunch of timelys , ga DC , multiple copies of sa keys , hulk 181, ba12, etc

It's quickly becoming one of my best annual shows and I really appreciate everyone's patronage

I was at your booth Saturday when that guy & his wife were there. Was going to ask you if he came back Sunday to buy anything.

he came back, wanted to buy, but was thwarted lol & :cry:

No one should go to this con.

Ever.

It sucks.

There is nothing to buy at a good price.

Timmay was at my booth when fire alarm went off. :pullhair:

He never returned. :sorry:

I was just about to give him 75% off. :o

Fire Sale :devil:

I always try to provide some info from the Cons I set up at and Baltimore will be no different. I did pretty well on my onsite grading (other then a few WTH did I miss books) so that was a big plus. I loved splitting a booth with Murph since he is just a cool laid back guy and always fun to talk to. Hanging out with Hector and other board members was also great and the people really make the weekend.

In terms of how the weekend went it was really a bad experience all the way around. I found the buyers at Baltimore were either looking for 4 or 5 keys books (got a 1st squirrel girl or HOS 92?) or they were just crazy frugal. Couple guys said "you have the lowest prices on X or Y books - can I get 20% off?" I did horribly and will definitely not be back next year unless it's to do some slabbing and buying. Did WAY better at Wizard Cleveland for slightly more money so I'll just stick to the local shows for the time being. The show was well put together and there was a lot of buyers but I just didn't have the right books to make it a good show for me.

I didn't buy a single book all weekend except for a couple foil Suicide and Harley Quinn exclusives that Hector got me. Too busy the set up day and there just didn't seem to be any books calling my name (but it may have just been the funk I was in from not selling much).

Sorry you got the shaft, I set up at Baltimore 3 years ago and had the same experience.

I ended up grossing about $1700 for the entire show...I remember trying to tell you not to get a booth at Baltimore months ago (tsk)

There are two ways to make money at Baltimore:

1) Blow higher priced books out well below FMV.

Even if you want to flat out get rid of your stock, option 1 is not good because the area is "very frugal", as you noted.Set up at a Carbo con and find a NY dealer, if you want to go that route, the majority of buyers in NYC aren't lowballers.The economics in NY are a world removed from Baltimore.

Baltimore is basically a dumping ground, the majority of books from the 60's to 90's were printed in the north east coast, in or around NY.

Local economics for selling books in MD sucks for several reasons.Basically, the glut ends up at a con like Baltimore and with so much of it, the competition forces all of the prices down.

2) Have a customer base that will fly to the show to buy higher end books from a few dealers along the lines of dealers like Greg Reece, Gator, Al Stolz etc

For smaller dealers, Baltimore is good for 2 things-.Buying books and having books slabbed onsite.

A fountain of misinformation.

he came back, wanted to buy, but was thwarted lol & :cry:

Ugh. That's a bummer. She seemed to be alright with whatever on Saturday. I even suggested that AF15 would be my choice if I was doing the same.

I was happy with sales, although Sunday could have been much better. It was very dead for us Sunday. I hit my record for amount of Golden Age sold at a show. Met a lot of great people, and had fun at the dinner. I sold a lot of keys.

Yea - if you had some mega keys to sell I bet they went quickly. With thousands of people wandering around looking for only keys I'd suspect key heavy booths did very well. I had books like Killing Joke CGC 9.8, X-Men 101, Spiderman 10 CGC 9.0 which I think are keys but people were looking for bigger fish (HOS 92, MS 5, BA 12)

I was happy with sales, although Sunday could have been much better. It was very dead for us Sunday. I hit my record for amount of Golden Age sold at a show. Met a lot of great people, and had fun at the dinner. I sold a lot of keys.

Yea - if you had some mega keys to sell I bet they went quickly. With thousands of people wandering around looking for only keys I'd suspect key heavy booths did very well. I had books like Killing Joke CGC 9.8, X-Men 101, Spiderman 10 CGC 9.0 which I think are keys but people were looking for bigger fish (HOS 92, MS 5, BA 12)

I sold 7 copies of hos92, but had 9 copies of MS5 available (all priced under FMV/gpa) and only sold 1...had 7 copies of BA12 available (again, all under fmv/gpa) and sold 1 only to have the CC decline...

sold several HFH 1 though (had about 15 copies, sold 4 I think)

major SA sold a hulk 1, avengers 1, af15 if the wife would have allowed it lol , dd 1, 2x tos 39, multiple single digit spideys, batman 121, action 242, 3xff52 slabbed and 1 raw, a tta 44 cgc 8.5, and a few smaller sa books iirc

I sold 7 copies of hos92, but had 9 copies of MS5 available (all priced under FMV/gpa) and only sold 1...had 7 copies of BA12 available (again, all under fmv/gpa) and sold 1 only to have the CC decline...

sold several HFH 1 though (had about 15 copies, sold 4 I think)

major SA sold a hulk 1, avengers 1, af15 if the wife would have allowed it lol , dd 1, 2x tos 39, multiple single digit spideys, batman 121, action 242, 3xff52 slabbed and 1 raw, a tta 44 cgc 8.5, and a few smaller sa books iirc

That's a lot of wall candy. Congrats!

Here's most of the keys we sold at the show:

Mad Love 1st print

X-Men 101

New Mutants 87

Preacher 1

Killing Joke 1st print

ASM 122

TOS 57

Superman 100

Star Wars 1

Showcase 22 (coverless)

Josie 45

Gi Joe 21

Daredevil 131

Batman 1 (new 52)

Batman 171

Batman 181

I didn't sell my New Mutants 98 or BA 12, but they did have condition issues.

Also, for the first time ever I completely sold out of EC precode horror. I also sold all the golden age WW2 covers I had brought.

I don't get very many "huge" keys in stock often, but sales added up well!

Here's most of the keys we sold at the show:

Mad Love 1st print

X-Men 101

New Mutants 87

Preacher 1

Killing Joke 1st print

ASM 122

TOS 57

Superman 100

Star Wars 1

Showcase 22 (coverless)

Josie 45

Gi Joe 21

Daredevil 131

Batman 1 (new 52)

Batman 171

Batman 181

I didn't sell my New Mutants 98 or BA 12, but they did have condition issues.

Also, for the first time ever I completely sold out of EC precode horror. I also sold all the golden age WW2 covers I had brought.

I don't get very many "huge" keys in stock often, but sales added up well!

Most of those are the books I was looking for. Now many of them I want in NM/M or VF condition.

I go into booths hoping to leave with a few books, or a few thousand dollars worth. I went to the show to spend money, but again, the pricing was all out of whack for many dealers.