• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Comic-Con will Still be a 3 day con, Sept. 2-4, 2016

262 posts in this topic

I always try to provide some info from the Cons I set up at and Baltimore will be no different. I did pretty well on my onsite grading (other then a few WTH did I miss books) so that was a big plus. I loved splitting a booth with Murph since he is just a cool laid back guy and always fun to talk to. Hanging out with Hector and other board members was also great and the people really make the weekend.

In terms of how the weekend went it was really a bad experience all the way around. I found the buyers at Baltimore were either looking for 4 or 5 keys books (got a 1st squirrel girl or HOS 92?) or they were just crazy frugal. Couple guys said "you have the lowest prices on X or Y books - can I get 20% off?" I did horribly and will definitely not be back next year unless it's to do some slabbing and buying. Did WAY better at Wizard Cleveland for slightly more money so I'll just stick to the local shows for the time being. The show was well put together and there was a lot of buyers but I just didn't have the right books to make it a good show for me.

I didn't buy a single book all weekend except for a couple foil Suicide and Harley Quinn exclusives that Hector got me. Too busy the set up day and there just didn't seem to be any books calling my name (but it may have just been the funk I was in from not selling much).

I always try to provide some info from the Cons I set up at and Baltimore will be no different. I did pretty well on my onsite grading (other then a few WTH did I miss books) so that was a big plus. I loved splitting a booth with Murph since he is just a cool laid back guy and always fun to talk to. Hanging out with Hector and other board members was also great and the people really make the weekend.

In terms of how the weekend went it was really a bad experience all the way around. I found the buyers at Baltimore were either looking for 4 or 5 keys books (got a 1st squirrel girl or HOS 92?) or they were just crazy frugal. Couple guys said "you have the lowest prices on X or Y books - can I get 20% off?" I did horribly and will definitely not be back next year unless it's to do some slabbing and buying. Did WAY better at Wizard Cleveland for slightly more money so I'll just stick to the local shows for the time being. The show was well put together and there was a lot of buyers but I just didn't have the right books to make it a good show for me.

I didn't buy a single book all weekend except for a couple foil Suicide and Harley Quinn exclusives that Hector got me. Too busy the set up day and there just didn't seem to be any books calling my name (but it may have just been the funk I was in from not selling much).

Hos92 was most requested book for sure. I sold 7 copies ...

Had a great time at Baltimore. Met a few boardies that I only knew online: 1cool, Murph (thanks for the HG Archies!) and Baltimore Lauren. Had fun hanging out with Scrooge, Chuck Gower and GAtor among many others. I also bought a ton of stuff. Who knew Archie was going to be this year's theme? I didn't until I got there…

Thanks everyone!

Had a great time at Baltimore. Met a few boardies that I only knew online: 1cool, Murph (thanks for the HG Archies!) and Baltimore Lauren. Had fun hanging out with Scrooge, Chuck Gower and GAtor among many others. I also bought a ton of stuff. Who knew Archie was going to be this year's theme? I didn't until I got there…

Thanks everyone!

wait a minute....you were at the con :o

Thanks everyone!

I'm glad we finally got to meet! I'll shoot you a PM this week about the art. :)

Good con, did a lot. Got to see some cool people. The dinner was great. Broke my fiancé into running around a con for Rich as well, which is always a plus!

That's a bummer. Sorry you didn't do well. The dealers that I talked to were having a decent show.

Best pickup was a Hulk page from issue 195 that Buchara had just picked up at the show. One of my favorite fight scenes as kid. Will post pictures when I get settled.

Picture please. :sumo:

hulk195_zpslltyxzty.jpg

Great piece, Joey! And great seeing you as always (albeit briefly).

Best pickup was a Hulk page from issue 195 that Buchara had just picked up at the show. One of my favorite fight scenes as kid. Will post pictures when I get settled.

hulk195_zpslltyxzty.jpg

Great piece, Joey! And great seeing you as always (albeit briefly).

Always a pleasure Chris. Next year we need to coordinate things better so we can make dinner plans.

hulk195_zpslltyxzty.jpg

Love it! :applause:

We had the same taste in comics growing up.

Funny, every dealer I went to had books marked at stupid prices that ANY offer would look lowball. Literally the only copper/modern dealer I dealt with was the guy who runs the show and a few books from gators back stock. Some sample prices of books I looked at.

Teen Titans 44 - F to VF+ avg grade, priced from $49-$85.00 (FMV 30-65.00)

New Mutants 98 - VF- to NM avg grade, priced from $299 to $400.00 (FMV $150- $250)

Teen Titans 2 VF copies avg price $175-250, FMV (about $150-175)

So basically everything for sale was priced similar to slabbed sales but without half the grading ability. NOw granted I did not hit every booth, but I got a gauge on the floor after about 12 booths.

Names to be left off this list Basement, High Grade, Graham Crackers, Bedrock, Earl Shaw, and Flying Donut.

Teen Titans 2 was over inflated price wise on the floor. I agree on that one. Everyone marked theirs up due to the recent news. The other books I saw with a huge markup were the 1st Squirrel Girl book (Marvel Winter Special #8)

Teen Titans 2 was over inflated price wise on the floor. I agree on that one. Everyone marked theirs up due to the recent news. The other books I saw with a huge markup were the 1st Squirrel Girl book (Marvel Winter Special #8)
So as a buyer, when I ask to see 2/3 books and the prices are off the wall, I walk away.