• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November 2015 Heritage Signature Auction Thread
1 1

630 posts in this topic

No one is answering my query about the Bruce Timm market. I'm not trying to be snarky at all, I think Timm is talented. But based on this result, 8300. for an average looking panel page it seems like he's hotter than Kirby or Toth. Is Batman Adventures an important book now?

Mad Love is a key book and won an Eisner. Also, Harley is beyond huge.

And Timm is not just talented... His Batman was voted the most popular rendition of the character. Over Adams, Aparo, Rogers, Lee, etc. (somebody help me with a citation?! lol)

No one is answering my query about the Bruce Timm market. I'm not trying to be snarky at all, I think Timm is talented. But based on this result, 8300. for an average looking panel page it seems like he's hotter than Kirby or Toth. Is Batman Adventures an important book now?

Don't overthink it. Page from a modern key.

Peanuts seems to have dropped . . .

Yeah, from insanely :censored:ing expensive to just insanely expensive.

Good! No movie factor here hm

Id love to pick up a 50s example one day if they drop some more.

I`ve been wanting to win one from the 50s or early 60s for a while, but they`re just too expensive.

:news: for you guys

Color guides can sell for a lot of money.....

I'm not surprised by the hammer price on the GL #76 as there are more and more people looking for Silver & Bronze Age guides (esp key issues) and the prices keep going up.

I've sold Byrne X-Men covers for $2k and Heritage sold 15 ASM #121 pages for almost $20k.

There is a correlation that the higher the value of the OA the higher the value of it's color guides. 2% of the OA value is a good rule of thumb for the top pieces but this can go up to 50% on Modern OA.

Everyone's always asking what to invest in for the future and how to buy ahead of the curve, well the blanket incredulity at this color guide sale is a pretty big hint. lol

Fantastic Four #123 cover by Sal Buscema and Joe Sinnott went for $44,215.00.

Pretty good for a Sal cover

The Hulk 200 page went strong at $2,629.00. You can pick up pages (if and when they pop up for sale) from surrounding issues for less than half of that.

True but this is a strong action page and you can bet that if this was listed for sale with a BIN price at that figure it would sell pretty quickly. Sal's stuff is under appreciated.

Peanuts seems to have dropped . . .

Yeah, from insanely :censored:ing expensive to just insanely expensive.

Good! No movie factor here hm

Id love to pick up a 50s example one day if they drop some more.

I thought that '56 with Snoopy was great, the price IIRC didn't go too nuts either.

I'm not surprised by the hammer price on the GL #76 as there are more and more people looking for Silver & Bronze Age guides (esp key issues) and the prices keep going up.

I've sold Byrne X-Men covers for $2k and Heritage sold 15 ASM #121 pages for almost $20k.

There is a correlation that the higher the value of the OA the higher the value of it's color guides. 2% of the OA value is a good rule of thumb for the top pieces but this can go up to 50% on Modern OA.

Everyone's always asking what to invest in for the future and how to buy ahead of the curve, well the blanket incredulity at this color guide sale is a pretty big hint. lol

I dunno. Sounds like something I'd read from somebody with a lot of color guides for sale. I don't know you, but did I nail it?

Owning a page from Mad Love is a grail for me, so I was considering bidding on this page...

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bruce-timm-batman-adventures-mad-love-1-page-10-harley-quinn-original-art-dc-1994-total-2-items-/a/7152-92255.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Bid was under $1000 last night. :D Went for $8365, so my bid would have been blown away.

:sorry:

Oh well.

Internet bidding ended around 2200. I figured it'd go around 5-6, so much for that :tonofbricks:

Hopefully this result will bring out more Timm pages, Heritage auction history shows only 1 item from over 10 years ago.

Owning a page from Mad Love is a grail for me, so I was considering bidding on this page...

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bruce-timm-batman-adventures-mad-love-1-page-10-harley-quinn-original-art-dc-1994-total-2-items-/a/7152-92255.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Bid was under $1000 last night. :D Went for $8365, so my bid would have been blown away.

:sorry:

Oh well.

Internet bidding ended around 2200. I figured it'd go around 5-6, so much for that :tonofbricks:

Hopefully this result will bring out more Timm pages, Heritage auction history shows only 1 item from over 10 years ago.

Those prices make the Timm prelim pages offered in the last Comic Link auction a bargain. They sold between $100.00 and $200.00 a page

Edited by Lucky Baru

Those prices make the Timm prelim pages offered in the last Comic Link auction a bargain. They sold between $100.00 and $200.00 a page

Were they Mad Love prelims? I have a barely passing interest in the Timm market (the art is cool, but market too tightly controlled by Timm/Moy, not a free market imo) and didn't take notice. Any old Timm prelims wouldn't matter much to this discussion, Mad Love specifically is what certain people want, and really only that.

I like the GL/GA at least 2x as much by artist and composition, so it seems to make sense, especially since GL/GA #76 is a stronger book than Amazing Spider-Man #98 as a published comic book too, in many collector's eyes.

I think the GL #76 price was all about the "key" issue/historical significance of the book to comics history. Adams may be the superior artist to Kane, but, c'mon, everything about the ASM #98 cover - to me, one of the very best of the entire run - blows the GL #76 cover away. The latter is one of those covers that just doesn't show very well in B&W, and it's far from Adams' best drawn work (it's not even my favorite cover from that run - I like the shocking #85 better). Its value has little to do with its own artistic quality vs. the significance of the book as it fits into Adams' legacy. And, remember, the bidding almost stalled out at $260K hammer - I suspect that the rest of the bidding (and possibly even the bidding up to that point) was really just two people. Is that really what the cover's worth, both absolutely and relative to the ASM #98? Who can say for sure.

Personally, I would take the Spidey cover any day and twice on Sunday over the GL one - it's one of my favorite covers and issues from the entire ASM run. 2c

I had this pegged at 7500 before the sale so Im not terribly incredulous. It's a color guide fine but they can get low four figures for real nice ones - I've seen that as well - and this is a great one esp given the fact the color choice was a strong part of the appeal on this cover. Way more than Id want to pay but so is 442,150 :insane:

I dunno. Sounds like something I'd read from somebody with a lot of color guides for sale. I don't know you, but did I nail it?

I've focussed much more on buying color guides than selling them this year and have had constant WTB threads running here on the boards and elsewhere.

I've focussed much more on buying color guides than selling them this year and have had WTB threads running here on the boards and elsewhere.

My issue with color guides is Authenticity.

Why cant any whack job with a xerox machine just crank them out?

Is there not a whole market for these fictions on ebay?

Seems owning would be an authenticating nightmare.

If the ASM 98 was Romita it would have probably gone for more. The limiting factor on this piece in retrospect seems to be that it was Kane. I do believe this is the highest $ amount ever paid for any Kane. And Yes, I would take the 98 over the GL any day of the week, as well.

I don't buy that at all 2c

It got a good price and IMO a fair valuation relative to ASM 121 cover that sold recently as well.

Not every swing at the plate has to be a grand slam.

If the ASM 98 was Romita it would have probably gone for more. The limiting factor on this piece in retrospect seems to be that it was Kane. I do believe this is the highest $ amount ever paid for any Kane. And Yes, I would take the 98 over the GL any day of the week, as well.

I don't buy that at all 2c

It got a good price and IMO a fair valuation relative to ASM 121 cover that sold recently as well.

Not every swing at the plate has to be a grand slam.

No way to prove a counterfactual. (shrug)

That said, the Romita ASM 111 did $77,675 and its just an OK cover. My guess is the artist really helped out a lot in that instance. Also, if you look over Kane results they are pretty weak as compared with Romita.

everything about the ASM #98 cover - to me, one of the very best of the entire run - blows the GL #76 cover away.

Personally, I would take the Spidey cover any day and twice on Sunday over the GL one - it's one of my favorite covers and issues from the entire ASM run. 2c

:screwy: X infinity