• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller Mini Comic Cover

91 posts in this topic

It certainly was. So perhaps I should be using 2000 not 2005. Still while I haven't looked at that series since it came out, the art was much better than this. The story is another matter

Color has been released.
(thumbs u Beautiful, but big.

DKTMR01_Miller_1200_56149fec3bbba7.03309975.jpg

*edit* I took into p'shop and reduced size for here.

FM_DKIII.jpg

The proportions are still a little off, but I like it far better than the Superman image. Can someone please provide their insight into what is happening in this cover?

If I had to make one criticism it would be for Sinclair to add some shadow under the feet, so it adds some depth and wouldn't look like he is floating. In the original drawing it doesn't have that free floating look. Otherwise it is a good looking cover and Sinclair did a great job capturing and adding to Millers vision.

Color has been released.

FM_DKIII.jpg

The proportions are still a little off, but I like it far better than the Superman image. Can someone please provide their insight into what is happening in this cover?

If I had to make one criticism it would be for Sinclair to add some shadow under the feet, so it adds some depth and wouldn't look like he is floating. In the original drawing it doesn't have that free floating look. Otherwise it is a good looking cover and Sinclair did a great job capturing and adding to Millers vision.

I love it even more in color. Maybe he's ducking under a hail of bullets?

Color has been released.

FM_DKIII.jpg

I love it even more in color. Maybe he's ducking under a hail of bullets?

I am not 100% certain, but was it digitally drawn? The lines and ink just don't look like they were done in the traditional sense. The inks on the head look digital.

Color has been released.

FM_DKIII.jpg

I dig that. :applause:

If you loved Miller's Daredevil, Ronin was a shock (so was DD #191 for that matter.)

Back in the day, Ronin was glorious. As was DD #191. :cloud9:

I hope fans will be kinder to me than some are being to Frank Miller right now. I'm depressed for him-can't imagine how I'd feel I was him.

- Greg Capullo

Most people have no idea what weight their words on the internet carry - it took me a long time to realize that what I was typing was going to be recorded forever and read by anybody who Googled the topic.

Honestly, Frank's been in the business for over 40 years at this point. He's written and created for comics, books, TV, and movies. There's no chance he's gone this long without people being critical of his work. In the past, pre-internet, the criticism was less known, but the criticism he would have seen and felt directly would have impacted his work as it would be made by the editors, directors, publishers and studio heads that were giving a green light or a red light. In this instance, it's by people that don't directly impact anything he's doing in any way. It's a fart in a hurricane to him.

There's zero chance he's survived this long in a field that is entirely based on the acceptance or rejection of the general public without feeling the sting of rejection or critique and developing a thicker skin for it. Otherwise he wouldn't have survived in the business as long as he has. There's no creator, no matter how great, that's never experience a negative reaction to their work at some time.

I don't think we need to hide how we truly feel about someone's work when they intentionally put that work out into the world knowing full well it may be accepted or rejected and especially so when it's someone who's done this longer and better than most of the people ripping him have been alive.

Frank will survive people not liking a drawing. I am certain of it.

Miller definitely isn't shy about sharing some of his opinions on the internet. And I'm sorry I even read some of them. It definitely shades the way I view his work

What is everyone's thoughts on Frank Millers Dark Knight 3 mini comic cover? I thought it was a joke initially. To me it looks like he has stopped trying. Looks like he used doodles to draw Superman and his proportions and details are very off. If it wasn't for Sinclair I don't think he would be recognizable. I hope this is not how the rest of his work is going to look. Is this the red flag regarding the end of his career? He can only bank off of his name for so long because the level of work is no longer up to snuff!

DKIIIMini1200_560f23e66e7918.48458184.jpg

This is a brilliant cover. Brilliant..

Im surprised DC approved this based on the grotesque and effeminate portrayal of the man of steel

Look at the proportions from his pecs to his waist on the left side and his right side is lopsided to his left. A disaster in drawing 101. It makes Liefelds Captain America look good. I have seen much better work from some 11 year olds. It looks like he is trying to push out a log.

FM is cartooning he's not illustrating. Cartoonists play with proportions much more than illustrators. He's not trying to create realistic proportions.

I'm not saying people need to like FM's art but judging it based on illustration rules is "wrong" because he's not illustrating.

People calling him lazy or his art on holy terror an embarrassment are are trying to apply illustration standards to a cartoonist, it's like calling a circle wrong because it's not a square

I hope fans will be kinder to me than some are being to Frank Miller right now. I'm depressed for him-can't imagine how I'd feel I was him.

- Greg Capullo

Most people have no idea what weight their words on the internet carry - it took me a long time to realize that what I was typing was going to be recorded forever and read by anybody who Googled the topic.

Honestly, Frank's been in the business for over 40 years at this point. He's written and created for comics, books, TV, and movies. There's no chance he's gone this long without people being critical of his work. In the past, pre-internet, the criticism was less known, but the criticism he would have seen and felt directly would have impacted his work as it would be made by the editors, directors, publishers and studio heads that were giving a green light or a red light. In this instance, it's by people that don't directly impact anything he's doing in any way. It's a fart in a hurricane to him.

There's zero chance he's survived this long in a field that is entirely based on the acceptance or rejection of the general public without feeling the sting of rejection or critique and developing a thicker skin for it. Otherwise he wouldn't have survived in the business as long as he has. There's no creator, no matter how great, that's never experience a negative reaction to their work at some time.

I don't think we need to hide how we truly feel about someone's work when they intentionally put that work out into the world knowing full well it may be accepted or rejected and especially so when it's someone who's done this longer and better than most of the people ripping him have been alive.

Frank will survive people not liking a drawing. I am certain of it.

Miller definitely isn't shy about sharing some of his opinions on the internet. And I'm sorry I even read some of them. It definitely shades the way I view his work

I disagree with the assertions Miller made in his OWS rant completely but it hasn't effected the way i read his work. You're going to disagree with the opinions of people in all walks of life. Your grandma is going to have opinions that make you cringe if you talk politics or social issues long enough.

I disagree with the assertions Miller made in his OWS rant completely but it hasn't effected the way i read his work. You're going to disagree with the opinions of people in all walks of life. Your grandma is going to have opinions that make you cringe if you talk politics or social issues long enough.

I still love my grandmother. And I'm still a fan of a lot of Miller's work. But being a human being, I have a hard time completely separating the man from his work.

I mentioned this cover in Modern but I'll throw in my two cents here as well;

My first reaction is shock that this work is Miller's, it's an extreme of where he was at DKR2 in the wrong direction IMO.

Now that being said, it's Frank Miller and we have to assume this is all intentional. So what is Frank trying to say? I mentioned in Modern that we don't see the side profile of Supes foot as we should and instead get the flat bottom. Why? Maybe Frank is saying something about Superman always being above us, on another level, and even when he's at our level...he's not. I guess only Frank can tell us.

I do know one thing, I wouldn't display this comic in my room, but if Frank offered me the original art it would be my prize possession lol

My first reaction is shock that this work is Miller's

How can anybody be shocked that this is Frank Miller? His style is so singular, unique and easy to recognize that it couldn't possibly be anybody else.

I see a drawing and I immediately know if it's Miller not. I don't mistake it for Milgrom or Romita or Buscema or Adams. Whether it's Daredevil from 1979 or this drawing today, you immediately see the connection to the artist.

Artists work their entire lives to develop an identity like this. Some work their entire lives and never develop a personal 'style' or identity. Miller did it within a year of being a pro artist.

Again, it's not Neal Adams. It's not realism. It's Miller expressing himself. And it's undoubtedly Miller.

My first reaction is shock that this work is Miller's

How can anybody be shocked that this is Frank Miller? His style is so singular, unique and easy to recognize that it couldn't possibly be anybody else.

I see a drawing and I immediately know if it's Miller not. I don't mistake it for Milgrom or Romita or Buscema or Adams. Whether it's Daredevil from 1979 or this drawing today, you immediately see the connection to the artist.

Artists work their entire lives to develop an identity like this. Some work their entire lives and never develop a personal 'style' or identity. Miller did it within a year of being a pro artist.

Again, it's not Neal Adams. It's not realism. It's Miller expressing himself. And it's undoubtedly Miller.

Oh yeah, I definitely see what you mean, this screams Miller.

F1E30BF2-15C5-4E76-B1B9-4CD4E356E24F.jpg