• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller Mini Comic Cover

91 posts in this topic

I sort of like it. It looks like most of his other work spanning all his years. Maybe dropped off a little, but if you liked his style before no reason you should like this.

I agree.

I sort of like it. It looks like most of his other work spanning all his years. Maybe dropped off a little, but if you liked his style before no reason you should like this.

I agree.

lol

Miller is always trying to push the limits.

He's not lazy - he knows what he wants to do and this is it.

People trash DKR2, but he was trying to do something new with the lines and the coloring (Lynn).

Unfortunately, the color experiment wasn't a success IMO, but his original brushwork was fantastic. The original art for DKR2 was much, much better looking than the published version, again IMHO.

One thing you know when you see it - it's FRANK MILLER!

I'll take anything Frank wants to draw at this point.

2c

Tim

Anyone who had the misfortune to read "Holy Terror" knows that the bell began tolling quite a while ago.

Yes, but the artwork in Holy Terror wasn't anywhere close to this level. Let's just hope he can still write a good story, otherwise DK3 may not make it past book 1 in terms of book sales. DC has a lot of money banking on the series, HCs and so on.

81Tj4%2BBYVHL.jpg

The interior artwork on Holy Terror was an embarrassment. It was lazy and poorly executed.

It's the ink and paper version of "The Spirit" movie. It causes physical distress.

I actually gave my copy of Holy Terror away for free , right here on the boards...I think I even offered to pay shipping to get it out of my house.

I have enjoyed every phase of Miller's career, and really liked Holy Terror. Especially the architecture.

I feel the same way. It's Miller, not Adams or Wrightson.

I hope fans will be kinder to me than some are being to Frank Miller right now. I'm depressed for him-can't imagine how I'd feel I was him.

- Greg Capullo

Most people have no idea what weight their words on the internet carry - it took me a long time to realize that what I was typing was going to be recorded forever and read by anybody who Googled the topic.

Anyone who had the misfortune to read "Holy Terror" knows that the bell began tolling quite a while ago.

Yes, but the artwork in Holy Terror wasn't anywhere close to this level. Let's just hope he can still write a good story, otherwise DK3 may not make it past book 1 in terms of book sales. DC has a lot of money banking on the series, HCs and so on.

81Tj4%2BBYVHL.jpg

The interior artwork on Holy Terror was an embarrassment. It was lazy and poorly executed.

It's the ink and paper version of "The Spirit" movie. It causes physical distress.

I actually gave my copy of Holy Terror away for free , right here on the boards...I think I even offered to pay shipping to get it out of my house.

I have enjoyed every phase of Miller's career, and really liked Holy Terror. Especially the architecture.

s56tc.jpg

I literally :roflmao:

To whom it may concern here's Rob's take on the "Miller-Hate"...

"BACK OFF FRANK MILLER! You people attacking his artwork for Dark Knight 3 are horrible and I'll tell you why. 1) Frank is close to 60 years old, he has far less artwork ahead of him than what he has behind him.

Anything and everything he shares with us should be appreciated as yet another contribution to the epic legacy of his work. Maybe his work is not as polished as it has been in the past but neither was Jack Kirby's or Joe Kubert's in their later years but I reveled in every additional work they illustrated. When I see another Frank Miller drawing I'm THRILLED because...

2) Frank's health has been rough over the last few years. The poor guy has not been well but recent pictures show him looking stronger and less feeble and the fact that he is producing any work AT ALL should be celebrated! Again, I love that he is sharing his talents with us in any capacity.

3) Frank Miller has done more for the comics industry than any of you will ever dream of and why don't you stop before you cast your stones at his drawings and consider if you're accomplishments even begin to measure up to his award winning, acclaimed body of transcendent work. DAREDEVIL. ELEKTRA. RONIN. DARK KNIGHT. YEAR ONE. BORN AGAIN. SIN CITY. 300. He gave us his very best, he advanced the art form and the industry and we should be thankful that he continues to share the evolution of his legendary talent.

Frank Miller changed the tone and tenor of the comics industry. Maybe as of this very moment you can draw a more polished anatomical figure but let me make something perfectly clear, you are nowhere near the level of master storyteller that Frank Miller is. As a writer, as an artist, as a page designer, his layouts, his gestures, his pacing, his mood was un-matched. If throwing your crass judgements and criticism makes you feel an inch taller, I assure you, you are not and never will be in the conversation of all time greats that Frank Miller is destined for.

Appreciate the efforts and contribution of this living legend and back off your stupid, hateful remarks and judgement."

It's much easier to tear someone down than to build them up. It also gets people more internet traction. I'm not saying that's why everyone does it but it is why some (ie a lot of people do it).

When everyone hated Ronin as it came out I fell in love with it and thought it was a masterpiece.

Personally, he's so deeply ingrained into my comic book tastes that stylistically I love anything Miller does.

And Rob is right. Miller today is not the Miller of 1980 or 1986 or 1990. But neither was/is Kirby or Ditko who they were in the heyday. They are who they are and they continued to be so, which is what makes them awesome.

It's still pure Miller, even if it's 35 years later.

I hope fans will be kinder to me than some are being to Frank Miller right now. I'm depressed for him-can't imagine how I'd feel I was him.

- Greg Capullo

Most people have no idea what weight their words on the internet carry - it took me a long time to realize that what I was typing was going to be recorded forever and read by anybody who Googled the topic.

Honestly, Frank's been in the business for over 40 years at this point. He's written and created for comics, books, TV, and movies. There's no chance he's gone this long without people being critical of his work. In the past, pre-internet, the criticism was less known, but the criticism he would have seen and felt directly would have impacted his work as it would be made by the editors, directors, publishers and studio heads that were giving a green light or a red light. In this instance, it's by people that don't directly impact anything he's doing in any way. It's a fart in a hurricane to him.

There's zero chance he's survived this long in a field that is entirely based on the acceptance or rejection of the general public without feeling the sting of rejection or critique and developing a thicker skin for it. Otherwise he wouldn't have survived in the business as long as he has. There's no creator, no matter how great, that's never experience a negative reaction to their work at some time.

I don't think we need to hide how we truly feel about someone's work when they intentionally put that work out into the world knowing full well it may be accepted or rejected and especially so when it's someone who's done this longer and better than most of the people ripping him have been alive.

Frank will survive people not liking a drawing. I am certain of it.

To whom it may concern here's Rob's take on the "Miller-Hate"...

"BACK OFF FRANK MILLER! You people attacking his artwork for Dark Knight 3 are horrible and I'll tell you why. 1) Frank is close to 60 years old, he has far less artwork ahead of him than what he has behind him.

Anything and everything he shares with us should be appreciated as yet another contribution to the epic legacy of his work. Maybe his work is not as polished as it has been in the past but neither was Jack Kirby's or Joe Kubert's in their later years but I reveled in every additional work they illustrated. When I see another Frank Miller drawing I'm THRILLED because...

2) Frank's health has been rough over the last few years. The poor guy has not been well but recent pictures show him looking stronger and less feeble and the fact that he is producing any work AT ALL should be celebrated! Again, I love that he is sharing his talents with us in any capacity.

3) Frank Miller has done more for the comics industry than any of you will ever dream of and why don't you stop before you cast your stones at his drawings and consider if you're accomplishments even begin to measure up to his award winning, acclaimed body of transcendent work. DAREDEVIL. ELEKTRA. RONIN. DARK KNIGHT. YEAR ONE. BORN AGAIN. SIN CITY. 300. He gave us his very best, he advanced the art form and the industry and we should be thankful that he continues to share the evolution of his legendary talent.

Frank Miller changed the tone and tenor of the comics industry. Maybe as of this very moment you can draw a more polished anatomical figure but let me make something perfectly clear, you are nowhere near the level of master storyteller that Frank Miller is. As a writer, as an artist, as a page designer, his layouts, his gestures, his pacing, his mood was un-matched. If throwing your crass judgements and criticism makes you feel an inch taller, I assure you, you are not and never will be in the conversation of all time greats that Frank Miller is destined for.

Appreciate the efforts and contribution of this living legend and back off your stupid, hateful remarks and judgement."

daa49052-bac6-40f9-883f-630d88c07297_zpsblx1wocv.jpg

A topic in "modern" tangented to the topic of this thread. I posted this there too:

Alex Sinclair (who colored this) was talking about it last night on periscope. He effectively said that every line on that page is exactly where Frank wants it. It's not about decline, it's about where he's at in his career and what he's trying to communicate. Art is about making people feel things and this page isn't about realism, it's about communicating a tone of Superman that Frank wants out there.

I don't much care for it, but I also don't buy that he's just getting old and can't produce what he used to. It seems MUCH more likely that his style and what he's trying to do has been evolving and he's got something very intentional in mind with regard to theme & mood.

I still won't have it on display, but I think we oughta stop crapping on it because we just assume he should have retired and can't produce what he'd like to anymore.

When I saw the sketch Miller did of Batman's gloved hand, and saw all of the traditional line work that went into it, all of the anatomy that made up the fist (I'm talking about the cover to DKR nu. 1) and saw the inked finished art that mostly looked plain, ordinary, and not very defined, I realized these are all intentional, artistic choices.

I don't have to like or approve of them, but I do respect them. They are intentional, thoughtful choices.