• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there any OA dealer you won’t do business with?

71 posts in this topic

Several months ago, I had a very bad experience with a noted dealer in the OA realm. I found it very unusual as the dealers that I have done business with may be busy but they are never rude nor do they attempt to "bait and switch" one page for another. The experience left me looking to see if there was any information about dealers that other people have had issues and/or bad experiences with in the past. I was unable to find a thread on the subject.

Thus, I have to ask - Is there any OA dealer you won’t do business with?

Not yet. But I am very wary of two dealers. One has lots of negative remarks here so I will always be cautious even though they always came through for me. The other, I just have a personal problem with but if he ever had something I had to have, I would probably do business with him.

I won't even look at what the Donnelys have for sale, simply based on their reputation here and on the Comicart mailing list. I'm in this hobby for enjoyment, so there's no need to court that grief.

Sorta agree on this too only from the perspective that you by definition cant work with them. Their prices are 40-100% over market. What are you hoping for, to work it down to 25%-50% over value?

Only deal with them if you dont care about money on any level, and dont care how many times over market value you have to pay cause you love it.

The Donnelly Brothers. I'll never attempt to do any business with them, either as a buyer or a seller. I have them blocked on my eBay account and would tell them to drop dead, if they ever asked to buy from me directly. The only way to improve the hobby is to put ethics ahead of avarice. That's what I do.

The Donnellys, which is a shame because they do have some Paul Ryan FFs I'd be interested in.

But I just consider that work lost in a fire until it changes hands. As others mentioned, this is a fun hobby for me, no need to make it stressful dealing with their business model.

There's one small dealer I likely wouldn't do business with ever again as it was a nightmare and they are by all accounts clinically insane. They also screwed a lot of people. I got out with some extra gray hairs but lived to tell the tale.

Not gonna say who but it doesn't matter as almost no one here would do business with them based on their catalogue, and even if you wanted to they would make it near impossible for you to do so. Any small internet search about this dealer would give enough red flags I would think anyway.

How would we know who to search for, if you don't tell us who it is? (shrug)

I won't even look at what the Donnelys have for sale, simply based on their reputation here and on the Comicart mailing list. I'm in this hobby for enjoyment, so there's no need to court that grief.

Sorta agree on this too only from the perspective that you by definition cant work with them. Their prices are 40-100% over market. What are you hoping for, to work it down to 25%-50% over value?

Only deal with them if you dont care about money on any level, and dont care how many times over market value you have to pay cause you love it.

do they pay 100% of market? hm

To be honest I am still Jonesing for an unpublished cover Coollines has. I would even trade a published cover for it, but alas I know even that would not be enough. I feel so weak :cry:

Doubtful. From what I've learned, they get most of their stock by trolling eBay, hitting up artists at shows, or swindling people in lop-sided trades. Few, if any, are ever gotten by them at FMV.

Doubtful. From what I've learned, they get most of their stock by trolling eBay, hitting up artists at shows, or swindling people in lop-sided trades. Few, if any, are ever gotten by them at FMV.

Trolling ebay IS fmv. I would argue that hitting up artists at shows is as well.

As for the original question, I have a few dealers I won't deal with. But so what, I am sure they do not even notice. Everyone SHOULD make personal decisions about whom they do business.with, even if that decision is who cares. you watch OA dealers in public and respond accordingly. Burkey gets the benefit of the doubt, BUDDY, because I have watched him be a solid player over the years. It goes both ways of course.

Trolling ebay IS fmv. I would argue that hitting up artists at shows is as well.

Really? eBay is FMV? If that were true, a piece would sell for the same price if sold in quick succession. It doesn't. And how many artists give special deals for buying in bulk, or other considerations, to people who purchase their work regularly? No, Trolling eBay and buying direct from artists is NOT always FMV.