• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,424 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

C&P #16 Used in SOTI

4C67687B-39DC-40C5-B252-449749E2F858_1_201_a.jpeg

One thing I find interesting about this issue is the "A full-size 36 page mag" label.  Notice how the numbers seem to be superimposed, almost for sure over "52".

2 hours ago, fifties said:

One thing I find interesting about this issue is the "A full-size 36 page mag" label.  Notice how the numbers seem to be superimposed, almost for sure over "52".

That's because its another one of those darn Canadian issues. So it was superimposed over the original 52-page label.  I need to learn to spot the Canadian versions better.  It still has the Lev Gleason publications label on the front, but the colors are different, it has no month listed on cover, and the page count is different.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Are you sure this is a SOTI book? I looked in guide and went through all my SOTI notes and don't see it. If it is, I will have to add it to the want list. 

According to lostsoti.org it is referred to on page 98-99 of Wertham's SOTI. I have found that some web sites list it as a SOTI book, and some don't.  It has the same two page blurb as CDP #76 "Don't Let Reformers Fool You". CGC includes the book as part of the SOTI CGC registry. So according to them it is needed for a complete CGC SOTI registry set.

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

From SOTI, pp. 98-99: "When I pointed out the hypocrisy of the Crime does not pay slogan and its bad effect on children, the industry accused me of "unfairness" in attacking their highest endeavors and introduced some more slogan morality. In one comic book are two pages by a police captain attacking me: 'Don't let reformers kid you!' He is 'shocked by what I read today about the people who condemn crime comics. These people are the menace.' He goes on: 'Children don't like to be kicked around by reformers who want to decide what's good for them to read.' And he extols 'the strong moral force' that comics exert on children."

From CDP #76 and C&P#16

image.png.15ede8dbcae04481e33030d29dab6ede.png

Comic Set Scores

Set Name: Seduction of the Innocent Comics

Crime and Punishment 16 Crime and Punishment  2  3  3  4  5  6  8  9  10  13  15  17  19  26  31  53  84  125  188  375  625  1000  1250  1875 
  Crime and Punishment Canadian Edition  1  2  2  2  3  4  5  5  6  8  9  10  11  16  19  32  50  75  113  225  375  600  750  1125 

2 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

May I please join the Lawbreakers Suspense Stories #10 club? :foryou:

Document_2021-04-04_074030.jpg

By all means! I recently got around to reading my new copy. That first story is a brutal and very graphic decapitation story. Charlton sure knew how to turn on the gore.