• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

Buying a whole bunch of cards to corner the market will do nothing but bring prices down until the community feels that they have the cards back. I think it could increase the price for trading since it is card for card. Since most of the cards that are worth a lot of money are really only useful to a small percentage of MTG players I don't think it will affect many people.

But I think there is a thought in the back of everyone's head about the whole comic book death of Superman stuff where people are expecting to make money from something that is not there. Additionally there is a youtuber called alpha investments who talks more about the value of cards and stowing product away and seems to know little about the game.

Are MTG original art pieces now better speculative buys where folks are seeing or anticipating greater returns through higher prices in the future than with traditional published comic book art?

I've seen some amazing paintings that are aesthetically beautiful, but don't play MTG nor Warcraft, Yu Gi Oh or anything, so know nothing about the fandom, only recognizing nice looking art. So, I have no context to the valuation nor future potential.

A greater question would be I guess, do MTG game players only care about the game and not so much about the art. Much like how some or most jocks don't collect sports cards, and the majority of sports card collectors are the proverbial armchair quarterbacks with little sports ability,

I think there's always been a grassroots appreciation of the art & artists because even when I played a little twenty years ago we would discuss that stuff and it was normal to do so. But that was all it ever was until maybe four years where prices on the art have really taken off. You used to be able to buy art for nice vintage cards that you remembered for a grand or two 5 years ago and now anything on that level seems to 5x that from what I've seen of completed auctions , sales and eBay links in the mtg art Facebook group etc. I don't watch this closely but when I do my eyebrows have been constantly raised of late

I don't know if they are good investments now, to answer your question, but they sure were a few years ago when I sold my pieces :tonofbricks: I had trouble getting past the small size. The vintage stuff is 5x 7. Just tiny. I'm used to collecting 20x 30

To be fair, a lot of folks were suggesting similar things about comic art 20 years ago, and 10 years ago, etc. The thoughts being pages went from tens of dollars to hundreds of dollars. And from Hundreds of dollars, to thousands. It's always so hard to judge where the peak is where emotion and nostalgia is concerned.

But maybe in this case, it's more clear?

What I find very interesting about MTG art is the pricing differences between old and new stuff. It doesn't always make sense. In some cases brand new art is selling for more than 20 year old art.

For instance, this art is brand new for the current series and is already past $4k and likely to go much higher: http://www.ebay.com/itm/112049418780

On the flip side, here is 20 year old Carrion Ants art available for $3500:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Original-Art-Carrion-Ants-MTG-Legends-Richard-Thomas-Artwork-/331897786426

For all the stories I hear of huge 5 figure prices for classic cards, it amazes me when memorable pieces like this aren't snatched up.

There was another $3500 Legends card listed at the same time as this that was snapped up within the day: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Original-Art-Infernal-Medusa-MTG-Legends-Anson-Maddocks-Artwork-/331897789829 but that seemed a super bargain when compared against the epic prices that get thrown out for other Legends.

I guess what I'm getting at is that MTG art seems very inconsistent and tough to figure these days:) Lots of throwing darts on prices and values.

Are MTG original art pieces now better speculative buys where folks are seeing or anticipating greater returns through higher prices in the future than with traditional published comic book art?

I've seen some amazing paintings that are aesthetically beautiful, but don't play MTG nor Warcraft, Yu Gi Oh or anything, so know nothing about the fandom, only recognizing nice looking art. So, I have no context to the valuation nor future potential.

A greater question would be I guess, do MTG game players only care about the game and not so much about the art. Much like how some or most jocks don't collect sports cards, and the majority of sports card collectors are the proverbial armchair quarterbacks with little sports ability,

When MTG players care about the card they care about the art. The more they care about the card the more they care about the art. IF it is a recognizable card whether it is something they pulled or something they played there is meaning in that illustration.

Personally I think there are some card art where it looks great as art hanging on the wall and others where it looks like the next cover to some high fantasy series that I don't read, but that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Art is too subjective but as long as MTG is still a game there will be more interest in the artwork. Only a certain number of the artists are more widely known outside of MTG and I am only basing that on the artists who put out actual art books who have worked in many other capacities outside of MTG and related high fantasy products.

As phantalien was getting at I don't think it's that hard to figure out or that surprising. You could say killing joke art goes for more than 1940s art. It's not about the age in comic art either. In any art.

Carrion ants is a terrible, terrible card. The fact it's from a good fairly early set is the only thing giving it some value

As phantalien was getting at I don't think it's that hard to figure out or that surprising. You could say killing joke art goes for more than 1940s art. It's not about the age in comic art either. In any art.

Carrion ants is a terrible, terrible card. The fact it's from a good fairly early set is the only thing giving it some value

In it's day ( Legends to 4th edition ) it was a very powerful creature card. Once it was on the table it was a force to be reckoned with both offensively and defensively.

It was common to have black mox, black lotus and dark rituals in all black decks.

I could get it out on the 1st or 2nd turn with a dark ritual. So by the 2nd turn you could theoretically have a 3/4 coming at you or more with any other fast mana source.

As to the art to Carrion Ants, it is rather meh whereas the other piece with the drow female and the circle of swords is pretty badazz.

I played from about fallen empires/ice age through alliances or so and I don't remember anybody using carrion ants. I'm not saying some people didn't but it would have been a very weak plan C or D or E or... K after juzam djinn or hypnotic spectre or sengir vampire or who knows what else

I think another reason current art fetches higher prices is the scarcity of original art. The switch to digital painting in the MTG and other CCG world was much more rapid and drastic than in our neck of the woods, leaving only a handful of desired artists who continue to work traditionally. And eBay has become the method of sale for the primary market in some cases, e.g., Chris Rahn.

I played from about fallen empires/ice age through alliances or so and I don't remember anybody using carrion ants. I'm not saying some people didn't but it would have been a very weak plan C or D or E or... K after juzam djinn or hypnotic spectre or sengir vampire or who knows what else

I agree that the Carrion Ants comes after many other creature choices.

What items is he talking about here?

[–]martinshkreli 25 points 16 hours ago

$100k if the cards are long-term worthless $250k if it's unclear $500k if i feel certain the cards will hold value or grow in value and can be resold

I think another reason current art fetches higher prices is the scarcity of original art. The switch to digital painting in the MTG and other CCG world was much more rapid and drastic than in our neck of the woods, leaving only a handful of desired artists who continue to work traditionally. And eBay has become the method of sale for the primary market in some cases, e.g., Chris Rahn.

I dunno. There's thousands and thousands and thousands of originals. Even given what you said. Scarce compared to comic art, for sure. But not what I typically think of as scarce.

I was trying to explain why some of the current art (i.e., last several years) yields higher prices than art from ten years ago.

Ah ok. Yeah I agree.

I think there's also an element of buzz around the hot new cards just like hot new comics or hot new sportscards.

Plus, the newer stuff is a lot more displayable. Larger and doesn't get lost on the wall.

The oldest sets have all the recognition power though. It's too bad they were so small

The printed magic cards.

There are multiple Black Lotus on eBay even one graded a 10 all priced lower than 500k and all but one priced lower than 100k.

.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=black+lotus&_sop=16

Here's a painting for a good but not great card, 10 years old, $26k... yeesh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Original-Art-Lotus-Petal-by-April-Lee-/331863400506?hash=item4d4499a03a:g:hE4AAOSwQaJXQ4C4

Technically 19 years old, and the card is great. Still played in a Legacy and Vintage to this day, and has the word "Lotus" on it, which automatically brings a premium. That said, I think this sale did open a lot of people's eyes and propped up the market even further for older tournament staples original art.

I'll defer to your experience. I never thought too much of the card but I was a casual player 20 years ago; never took it serious or kept up.

The lotus thing I agree.

I'm shocked that its already 19 years old :o