• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 1 CGC 9.6 Heritage November 2015 Auction!

172 posts in this topic

Voldemort is giving out loosey goosey grades for high grade books and its getting peoples attention and money so I'm sure CGC will counter for a while to get some more market share and publicity.

what I referred to back on page 1 that CBCS is part to blame. (thumbs u

Except that everyone's complaining about how tough CGC is right now (and has been for several years).

As a collector I am certainly not one of them (thumbs u

Gotcha

I have never bought any Voldemort book yet so if I understand well I am better not, thanks for the tip (thumbs u

There was a long thread last year about the rival. It was finally poofed and led to the message from Harshen stickied on the first page of CG that discussion of competitors would not be allowed. Hence, the euphemism.

Gotcha

I have never bought any Voldemort book yet so if I understand well I am better not, thanks for the tip (thumbs u

I don't support either as better, but remember, you're only allowed to post negative stuff on the competitors without the post being poofed. So, for example, if you had a book slammed for a stain on the cover and it's not really there and another grading company also agrees it's not there, then who is right? Tight grading shouldn't mean imaginary defects that would result in a resub $$$ when a book like this passes with a 9.6.

Considering that a 9.4 and 9.6 Avengers 1 are about $100k-$120k difference in value...the seller definitely scored big time on this sub.

I guess it really depends if the bidders are bidding on the book hm (thumbs u itself, or taking the blind mice approach and simply bidding on the CGC label only. doh!:tonofbricks:

Voldemort is giving out loosey goosey grades for high grade books and its getting peoples attention and money so I'm sure CGC will counter for a while to get some more market share and publicity.

Except that everyone's complaining about how tough CGC is right now (and has been for several years).

Me neither - but it's nuts to say that CGC is grading looser to compete with Voldemort. If anything, they're as tight right now as they were back in 2004-2005.

It's laughable to call this book a 9.0 or a 9.2 :screwy:

Me neither - but it's nuts to say that CGC is grading looser to compete with Voldemort. If anything, they're as tight right now as they were back in 2004-2005.

It presents like a 9.2-9.4 tweener to me. Unless this book gets a massive key bump. There is no way those spine tics are scanner artifacts and they ignored the color rub entirely. I have virtually no experience with high grade copies of this book. Maybe that is SOP. To me, it is definitely not a 9.6. I rarely get involved in these types of threads, but the $$$ spread is so massive with this book.

It presents like a 9.2-9.4 tweener to me. Unless this book gets a massive key bump. There is no way those spine tics are scanner artifacts and they ignored the color rub entirely. I have virtually no experience with high grade copies of this book. Maybe that is SOP. To me, it is definitely not a 9.6. I rarely get involved in these types of threads, but the $$$ spread is so massive with this book.

All HG books look much, much worse when you blow up the Heritage scans - whilst I also think the 9.6 is a gift grade, I'd be ecstatic to have this book in my collection as a 9.4.

Gotcha

There was a long thread last year about the rival. It was finally poofed and led to the message from Harshen stickied on the first page of CG that discussion of competitors would not be allowed. Hence, the euphemism.

Even discussion of competitors that criticizes them?

Gotcha

My guess is that if someone started a thread to bash CBCS, the thread would be quickly pulled.

Gotcha

My guess is that if someone started a thread to bash CBCS, the thread would be quickly pulled.

but would the person that started it receive a strike hm

In the previous era we routinely saw tight grading then a period of loose grading and the cycle continued. It was good for business to loosen the belt every now and then especially when pressing started to be a major part of the submission process. They will deny it of course but we have seen too many high profile, familiar books getting grade bumps and repeated CPR attempts. CGC may be tight now but watch the flood of new submissions ramp up again once it is perceived to be favorable.

Voldemort IMO is keeping it loose now to ramp up their business/profile. Nothing gets collectors attention like new highest graded books. The Suspense #3 is a perfect example as it was widely considered to be over graded but that didn't hurt the sale price one bit.

In the previous era we routinely saw tight grading then a period of loose grading and the cycle continued. It was good for business to loosen the belt every now and then especially when pressing started to be a major part of the submission process. They will deny it of course but we have seen too many high profile, familiar books getting grade bumps and repeated CPR attempts. CGC may be tight now but watch the flood of new submissions ramp up again once it is perceived to be favorable.

Has this not been a part of CGC's business model from the get go?

Why limit your revenue streams by grading the book only once when you can grade and set restoration definitions so that customers will be enticed to send in the exact same book for grading multiple times. hm