• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 1 CGC 9.6 Heritage November 2015 Auction!

172 posts in this topic

Who is the Chicago-area collector-dealer that owns this book? No way Brad and Andy defend this smoking turd of a 9.6 without it being a homie.

lol

No idea who owns it. Personally, I think it's a 9.4 in a 9.6 holder. It's a bit overgraded, but "smoking turd" seems a little harsh.

I wish I had pics of the Iron Fist 14 I subbed last year. At least a dozen color breaking spine ticks and it got 9.8. It happens. (shrug)

Tight 9.2, Loose 9.4, Smoking turd 9.6

Tight 9.2, Loose 9.4, Smoking turd 9.6, Decomposing flesh 9.8?

Who is the Chicago-area collector-dealer that owns this book? No way Brad and Andy defend this smoking turd of a 9.6 without it being a homie.

lol

No idea who owns it. Personally, I think it's a 9.4 in a 9.6 holder. It's a bit overgraded, but "smoking turd" seems a little harsh.

I wish I had pics of the Iron Fist 14 I subbed last year. At least a dozen color breaking spine ticks and it got 9.8. It happens. (shrug)

Toxic waste 9.9? Irradiated wasteland 10.0?

I have no idea who owns this book but you can't expand an online scan to multiple times it's normal size and grade the book accurately. You can make a 9.8 look like a 9.0.

At the correct size (16% on my monitor when I compare physical size to another comic book) the book looks much stronger than a 9.0 and certainly not a 9.2 in a 9.6 holder. And again, grading in hand compared to a scan is a completely different animal.

I'm assuming CGC didn't count the color loss on the bottom left in the red box as a defect.

Good point. Which raises the question "What process does CGC use to grade a book?" Is it just a visual scan and possible machine scan for restoration OR is it take high res photos and enlarge them or is it both?

Enlarged it looks like a 9.0. Real life size it looks to be in the 9.2 - 9.4 range depending upon how you view the wrap, colour breaks and the lower left corner.

The defect in the bottom left bothers me the most.

Agreed, and that type of a vertical color break near the spine is an occasional side-effect of pressing.

Except for that defect, the book is stunning.

lol

Toxic waste 9.9? Irradiated wasteland 10.0?

Maybe if they included these qualifiers on the label, we actually could buy the grade, not the book. hm

Voldemort is giving out loosey goosey grades for high grade books and its getting peoples attention and money so I'm sure CGC will counter for a while to get some more market share and publicity.

what I referred to back on page 1 that CBCS is part to blame. (thumbs u

Voldemort is giving out loosey goosey grades for high grade books and its getting peoples attention and money so I'm sure CGC will counter for a while to get some more market share and publicity.

Except that everyone's complaining about how tough CGC is right now (and has been for several years).

Missed that. (thumbs u

I may be late to the party but who or what is Voldemort and what is the connection with CBCS? PM me if necessary

Voldemort = CBCS

Harry Potter thought it best not to call out CBCS by their actual name.

I may be late to the party but who or what is Voldemort and what is the connection with CBCS? PM me if necessary

Voldemart is Harry Potter's nemesis and CBCS is CGC's nemesis. Their connection will be revealed in a massive Marvel retcon scheduled for next year.