• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did HA mislead you?

85 posts in this topic

I just picked a few copper key books to see how the HA auctions stacked up to GPA. A Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.8 sold for $3,346 where as the GPA average is around $2,300. But the ASM 300 & Daredevil 168 CGC 9.8s both went for about 50 - 60% of GPA. I'm sure it's hit or miss like any auction and Golden / Silver-Age keys may do better since Heritage seems to be frequented by those collectors.

It was only and one time with Heritage Auction as the seller.

I knew I won't make the profit due to Buyer's Preminum but I never knew that they have 15% commission. Someone told me that was no commission and I checked the website to find if they have the seller commission. Nothing was found. Are they hiding something or misleading me?

It's only one time selling with them. They make 34.5% total commission per item (combination of Buyer's Preminum and Seller Commission)!

I thought it was common knowledge that they charged a seller's premium, but I have to admit that I couldn't find a clear discussion of it on their site. The closest I came was a link that discusses the discount to the SP you receive for consigning items you purchased from them. I didn't watch their consignment video; perhaps they discuss the SP there. hm

Just doing the math real quick to make sure I should be asking whether Heritage books (with a net 28.9% cost to the seller) get a 19% bump vs. other auction sites that charge the seller 10%.

Seller gets $90 on a $100 item in a 10% auction site.

For a seller to get $91 on that same item at Heritage, it needs to sell for $128 including buyer's premium.

That means that the "Heritage bump" needs to be 28% to benefit the seller (not 19%), because they need a $100 item (on another auction site) to sell for $128 on Heritage.

Sure, a $100 item might sell for $128, but does the average $1,000 item sell for $1,280 at Heritage? hm

Certainly a valid question anyone selling on HA should be asking themselves.

There are some pretty big collectors, dealers on here who use Heritage a lot but from what I can see, they are usually dealing in really big books where the extra audience is worth the exchange in fees.

Just doing the math real quick to make sure I should be asking whether Heritage books (with a net 28.9% cost to the seller) get a 19% bump vs. other auction sites that charge the seller 10%.

For a seller to get $91 on that same item at Heritage, it needs to sell for $128 including buyer's premium.

That means that the "Heritage bump" needs to be 28% to benefit the seller (not 19%), because they need a $100 item (on another auction site) to sell for $128 on Heritage.

Sure, a $100 item might sell for $128, but does the average $1,000 item sell for $1,280 at Heritage? hm

There are some pretty big collectors, dealers on here who use Heritage a lot but from what I can see, they are usually dealing in really big books where the extra audience is worth the exchange in fees.

If you are selling big SA and GA keys -- particularly in high grade -- I would think a Heritage signature auction is the best venue. Their catalogs are the best selling tools in the hobby, imo.

That's pretty much how it's always been. I know they will work with certain consigners to lower that commission (based on the material you give them).

Seller pays commission fees to Heritage

Buyer payers Buyer Premium to Heritage

It's always been a double dip for them.

it is way to high, and in my opinion they are pricing themselves out of the market. As a buyer I am going elsewhere.

Your price as a buyer isn't affected. Just pay what you want to pay for the item (just factor in the buyer's premium into your bid - they do it automatically for you).

I know a lot of people have a beef with Heritage's double dip but it's clearly stated and many big ticket sellers prefer to use Heritage because they spend a lot on infrastructure and advertising.

My price as a buyer is significantly affected: 19.5% worth.

I can do what you say, and adjust my bid to reflect the buyer premium, but I notice that I just don't win the auction for the most part as it seems Heritage buyers have no issue with paying full market or more PLUS the buyer premium for the books they buy.

Therefore, I am buying from sources that have no buyer premium as a result.

I knew I won't make the profit due to Buyer's Preminum but I never knew that they have 15% commission. Someone told me that was no commission and I checked the website to find if they have the seller commission. Nothing was found. Are they hiding something or misleading me?

It's only one time selling with them. They make 34.5% total commission per item (combination of Buyer's Preminum and Seller Commission)!

I thought it was common knowledge that they charged a seller's premium, but I have to admit that I couldn't find a clear discussion of it on their site. The closest I came was a link that discusses the discount to the SP you receive for consigning items you purchased from them. I didn't watch their consignment video; perhaps they discuss the SP there. hm

+1

I also thought it was common knowledge to everybody that HA charges both a fixed buyer's premium and a seller's premium that is entirely negotiable depending upon the books you have.

Nevertheless, the only thing to determine is whether your net proceeds from Heritage is going to be more than what you can clear from selling though CC, CL, eBay, etc., irregardless of what the buyer has to pay. hm

That's pretty much how it's always been. I know they will work with certain consigners to lower that commission (based on the material you give them).

Seller pays commission fees to Heritage

Buyer payers Buyer Premium to Heritage

It's always been a double dip for them.

it is way to high, and in my opinion they are pricing themselves out of the market. As a buyer I am going elsewhere.

Your price as a buyer isn't affected. Just pay what you want to pay for the item (just factor in the buyer's premium into your bid - they do it automatically for you).

I know a lot of people have a beef with Heritage's double dip but it's clearly stated and many big ticket sellers prefer to use Heritage because they spend a lot on infrastructure and advertising.

My price as a buyer is significantly affected: 19.5% worth.

I can do what you say, and adjust my bid to reflect the buyer premium, but I notice that I just don't win the auction for the most part as it seems Heritage buyers have no issue with paying full market or more PLUS the buyer premium for the books they buy.

Therefore, I am buying from sources that have no buyer premium as a result.

I hear you, Karl. (thumbs u

That sounds like a terrific endorsement for sellers, though! lol

I just picked a few copper key books to see how the HA auctions stacked up to GPA. A Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.8 sold for $3,346 where as the GPA average is around $2,300. But the ASM 300 & Daredevil 168 CGC 9.8s both went for about 50 - 60% of GPA. I'm sure it's hit or miss like any auction and Golden / Silver-Age keys may do better since Heritage seems to be frequented by those collectors.

That $3346 sale was from May, 2014. While a very high outlier, you can't expect that kind of market outperforming sale, even at Heritage. It was $700-$1500 more than other 9.8s that sold that month. Who knows what was going on? A more recent sale of a #1 9.8 shows a sales price of $2151 which is actually lower than the 90 day average for that book.

There were a few strong WD #1 9.8 sales a while back as people were chasing one variant (I think the black label) over another. Could that be the difference?

In the board's selling thread there have been cases of sellers reneging on deals when they realize that they underpriced their books. Maybe the HA approach provides these sellers with a way out. Just PM the buyer: "By the way, be sure to include the 19.5% buyer's premium in your payment." :D

I don't see how it is misleading. It is clearly stated. And looking at the total $$$ values at the end of their auctions doesn't suggest to me that they are pricing themselves out of these hobbies.

I buy from HA but sell through Comiclink. Much of that decision is based on the 20% HA seller's fee, the HA double-dipping etc. But Clink often underperforms in my opinion (I sell comic art not comics, for disclosure). However I still feel that is the way to go now, but if/when I am consigning large enough items to negotiate the seller's fee I will be a HA consigner.

I'm sure it is worth it for some otherwise they wouldn't be using it. And certainly the question any seller would ask is where can I make the most money. If that is HA then it makes sense.

at HA seller's fees are negotiable from what I understand. $20K consignment I think gets you no seller's fees...I think!

I would want a flat 10% combined or they can get tea-bagged. I was railed once by them and swore never again. I think a lot of first time sellers see their profits vaporize with Heritage.

at HA seller's fees are negotiable from what I understand. $20K consignment I think gets you no seller's fees...I think!

I would want a flat 10% combined or they can get tea-bagged. I was railed once by them and swore never again. I think a lot of first time sellers see their profits vaporize with Heritage.

Are you saying that you was not aware or informed about the seller's premium when you consigned your books to them?

Well, if I was going for uber HG CA books, Heritage would most definitely not be the first place that I would be looking at for these types of books. Golden-age books, now that's a different story. hm

Exactly.

GA you'd go to Heritage and/or CC (Metro).

You consigned something to someone without first knowing what their rates were? :facepalm:

And yes, it's well known that Heritage charge a seller's commission as well as the BP.