• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst comic shop experiance ever.

89 posts in this topic

I'm driving out on the North Folk of Long Island this morning and I pass a group of thrift shop/antique shops. One of them has a handmade cardboard sign saying estate collection of comic books recently arrived. The store opens at 1PM, and it s barely 10AM. I really don't want to hang out three hours. I notice movement in the shop and knock on the door. Nothing. Knock again and a head emerges saying they are closed, just in case I didn't reach that conclusion by the closed sign or the locked door. I yell something and the guy comes to the door. I explain I'm not from around here and can I please come in. He looks at me, looks at my car and says come in but I better not waste his time.

Shop is a pigsty, Stuff everywhere and hasn't been dusted since a Bush was President, and I wouldn't want to wager which one.

I'm in semi-darkness and ask if I can get some light. Am told no, its too expensive to light the shop when its empty, and lights might attract customers.

I make some small talk and find out he's been in the thrift business his whole life, this location sucks and he is headed to Florida in a few weeks and may move to a different area in the spring.

He has about ten boxes on the floor, all modern and many of them in rough shape. A dollar a book, but buy twenty and the rest are fifty cents each.

I ask if he has older books and he takes me into the backroom- which is even filthier and less organized than the front room. He's got a few hundred 1970s-early 80s comics, almost all in VG, give or take. No bags or anything.

I ask what he wants and he says he'll look them up when I pick out the ones I want. I ask if he uses Overstreet and he says no, there is a better source that gives more accurate prices. I ask what and he says its called Mile High Comics. tell him I don't think I'm interested and he says make me an offer for all the comics, as he doesn't really sell many.

Fifteen minutes later, after a quick run thru the boxes I offer $500 for everything. He says $7500.

It's time for me to go and he sticks out his hand and says $4,000. we'll split it down the middle. I say no and as I'm walking out I spy a semi-rare Canadian Only album from the Grateful Dead. How much I ask? $75.

The End.

The "I'm gonna have to look it up" reply is usually a sign to me to move on quickly. Kind of weird that he would use Mile High as a guide rather than an Overstreet guide.

On the bright side, you did get a jump on the stuff and he let you in. Too bad it turned out as it usually does. Gotta ask though.

The "I'm gonna have to look it up" reply is usually a sign to me to move on quickly. Kind of weird that he would use Mile High as a guide rather than an Overstreet guide.

On the bright side, you did get a jump on the stuff and he let you in. Too bad it turned out as it usually does. Gotta ask though.

Actually Mile High could work out really well if you find a key that they don't have in stock. They typically don't update their pricing until they have it in stock. For example, Luke Cage Hero for Hire is listed at $202 in NM on Mile High, out of stock.

Actually Mile High could work out really well if you find a key that they don't have in stock. They typically don't update their pricing until they have it in stock. For example, Luke Cage Hero for Hire is listed at $202 in NM on Mile High, out of stock.

Is that a one shot?

Is that a one shot?

(shrug)

lol what a dufus. Overstreet wasn't exhorbitant enough so he found a better 'price guide'.

He's gonna be sitting on those books for a LONG time.....waiting for that sucker......

Sorry that you went in the store for nothing to take home. At least you did made your try. I would walk away when this shop owner said he uses Mile High comics as a guide for prices. And his prices at $7500, $4000 ?? Forget it! :censored:

Sorry that you went in the store for nothing to take home. At least you did made your try. I would walk away when this shop owner said he uses Mile High comics as a guide for prices. And his prices at $7500, $4000 ?? Forget it! :censored:

+1 dont even make an offer out of courtesy. I did the same with a collecrion a few weeks ago. Seller had 13 longboxes of mostly garbage, a few mid-grade modern keys but nothing special. They were at $3500 firm, i simply declined to make an offer and wishes them luck.