• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,467 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 9:39 PM, tth2 said:

It's only propaganda if you're on the losing side.  As the saying goes, history is written by the victors.

History IS written by the victors but our history was pretty frank about recognizing propaganda. Bill Mauldin won a Pulitzer for this cartoon in Stars and Stripes calling out US home front propaganda:

IMG_1726.thumb.jpeg.090919a0b37a05eaf1786ce6daf9be08.jpeg

That a soldier-journalist could not only draw that for an Army newspaper during wartime but get his country”s highest journalistic honor is why America was and is a great country. That is the difference between the US and fascist countries that value the “dear leader” or “strongman” mentality. Because our history includes not just propaganda but efforts like GI Roundtable Education Manual 2 which was intended to ensure that US soldiers returning to civilian life knew how to recognize fascist propaganda and to reject authoritarianism. Great stuff. Other EM’s included these:

IMG_1727.jpeg.c0e0d433c53194cfd51eafaa747787b1.jpegIMG_1728.jpeg.657d6e8bf47bae271158879a5eddd8d5.jpeg

Back then people understood the value of a democratic government and how America could use the government to pull people up through educational efforts like these.

Edited by sfcityduck

Posted (edited)

On 5/1/2024 at 1:23 AM, sfcityduck said:

Instead, the first appearance of Donald Duck, the character we love, in print was in the Good Housekeeping magazine Silly Symphonies cartoon page for "The Wise Little Hen" in the June 1934 issue which hit the stands even before the appearance of the cartoon.

DONALD DUCK First Appearance Good Housekeeping June 1934  Wise Little Hen Disney - Picture 3 of 3

So it precedes the first newspaper daily strip? Very interesting. Not impactful as it, but it has superb printing quality, unlike they:

us-zz1934j16s-001.jpg

Perhaps some other newspaper printed it better?

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 11:32 PM, Bigphatpaulie said:

I have a question.  Four Color #16 is considered the "First Mickey Mouse in Comics"

Well, more or less. There are other older Mickey mouse comics outside newspaper strips. FC vol1 n°16 can be seen as the first US Mickey comic book in a fairly modern format. Older US publications in different format or foreign publications came before.

What about Donald Duck?  I never found a definitive answer:

This one precedes it:

us-ddkk-01-00-001.jpg

As with Mickey, there other US publications that precedes, sometimes not comic focused ones, or comics focused but with different formats, or foreign publications :)

Edited by Kromak

Posted (edited)

In fact many countries published MM comics in modern format (no newspaper) in the 30', mainly in Europe and South America. On top we have the Mickey Mouse Magazine, that as of 1937 (or smth like this) started to republish MM and DD strips.

About DD, I agree with Kromak, first one is DD #1 aka the Bubble Pipe (mine is exactly the one showed by Kromak) published in 1938. But again it is a reprint of strips from 1936-37.

It all depends from the criteria you'd use... MMM #5 is the first with DD on the cover page (a lovely one, one of the best in this early times).

Edited by DavideD
typo

Posted (edited)

Appreciate the feedback on Donald's First Appearance

Some interesting Duck Sales on Comic Link.  Did not think Disney Books racked up big sales on that site but they look like solid numbers:

WALT DISNEY'S COMICS AND STORIES #20

CGC 8.0 Sold for $3400.  A CGC 9.0 sold on Heritage back in 11/03/2022 for $2280

WALT DISNEY'S COMICS AND STORIES #22

CGC 8.5 Sold for $2300.  A CGC 9.0 sold on Heritage back in 03/22/2021 for $1740.  I wanted this one.  Its one of my top three World War II Covers.  Lost the auction though.

Edited by Bigphatpaulie

On 5/30/2024 at 7:13 PM, Bigphatpaulie said:

Some interesting Duck Sales on Comic Link.  Did not think Disney Books racked up big sales on that site but they look like solid numbers:

CGC 8.0 Sold for $3400.  A CGC 9.0 sold on Heritage back in 11/03/2022 for $2280

CGC 8.5 Sold for $2300.  A CGC 9.0 sold on Heritage back in 03/22/2021 for $1740.  I wanted this one.  Its one of my top three World War II Covers.  Lost the auction though.

No way to see the back cover or am I doing something wrong?

On 5/30/2024 at 3:13 PM, Bigphatpaulie said:

Both beautiful copies of iconic covers! Prices seem about right for these books.

On 5/31/2024 at 8:17 AM, Kromak said:

No way to see the back cover or am I doing something wrong?

It's Comiclink.  You have to request to see the back covers.  And such request may or may not be granted.

Those Scrooge bound volumes signed & sketched by Barks look really cool on Heritage! No clue if they'll go for 1000$ or 100,000$... (shrug)

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 10:14 AM, dikran said:

Those Scrooge bound volumes signed & sketched by Barks look really cool on Heritage! No clue if they'll go for 1000$ or 100,000$... (shrug)

I've been drooling over those too. I'd love to see the other sketches!

Edit: Heritage has now posted pics of all the interior sketches. They do not disappoint! :luhv:

Edited by Badger

Very fun score at a local show on Saturday. The young dealer had mostly copper and modern books. At the end of his table was a large cardboard box of unbagged "10 centers". very little in the way of superheroes, PCH, GGA stuff but mostly Funny Animal, Westerns and other oddball low demand books. He told me they came from an estate sale a couple days earlier. They were price very low at "each" prices. I stacked up a nice pile then saw these at the bottom. Bought all the real early ones. This little group sure helped out my collection of the earliest Barks Ducks. Got a bunch of early Archies back to #15 was well. Made my day and was shocked to get a deal like this at a comic show. I always say, there is always that "one guy" at every show you just got to find him. 

IMG_8995.jpeg

IMG_8987.jpeg

IMG_8988.jpeg

IMG_8989.jpeg

IMG_8990.jpeg

IMG_8991.jpeg

IMG_8992.jpeg

On 6/10/2024 at 8:34 AM, Robot Man said:

Very fun score at a local show on Saturday. The young dealer had mostly copper and modern books. At the end of his table was a large cardboard box of unbagged "10 centers". very little in the way of superheroes, PCH, GGA stuff but mostly Funny Animal, Westerns and other oddball low demand books. He told me they came from an estate sale a couple days earlier. They were price very low at "each" prices. I stacked up a nice pile then saw these at the bottom. Bought all the real early ones. This little group sure helped out my collection of the earliest Barks Ducks. Got a bunch of early Archies back to #15 was well. Made my day and was shocked to get a deal like this at a comic show. I always say, there is always that "one guy" at every show you just got to find him. 

IMG_8995.jpeg

IMG_8987.jpeg

IMG_8988.jpeg

IMG_8989.jpeg

IMG_8990.jpeg

IMG_8991.jpeg

IMG_8992.jpeg

Nice score Bob; those early Barks ducks are just hard to find in general. Great reader copies for you!!

On 6/11/2024 at 1:34 AM, Robot Man said:

IMG_8995.jpeg

IMG_8987.jpeg

IMG_8988.jpeg

IMG_8989.jpeg

IMG_8990.jpeg

IMG_8991.jpeg

IMG_8992.jpeg

Fantastic buys.

Maybe things are cooling off with regard to some funnybooks. I sure hope so.

Can someone explain the gag on the cover of WDC&S Vol 2 #3, Donald threatening a roast chicken? (Fowl on fowl abuse)

On 6/11/2024 at 9:35 PM, Duffman_Comics said:

Can someone explain the gag on the cover of WDC&S Vol 2 #3, Donald threatening a roast chicken? (Fowl on fowl abuse)

I think he has overcooked the turkey and it's too tough to carve.