• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Nice pickup given that the GPA for a 7 was 412 in 10/07. That you got it got it for less than $500 makes this a steal.

EDIT to add: Just realized that the sale reported was Jerry Weist's sale of Barks' personal file copy.

Edited by Transplant

Here's an interesting story. I bought this raw off of ebay and submitted it quite a while ago. Few years later sold it to a Swede with a few other books for an offer I couldn't refuse. It shows up on ebay and I find it doing a past auction search. This book hadn't sold for $500. I make an offer and he sells it to me and here it is. Seems pretty round about but regardless, a sweet book.

Decent first appearance, Classic Scrooge cover, rare in high grade. And given that the 9.4 file copy sold for $3500, I'm pretty happy with the deal.

Great pick up at a great price! Love that cover! :applause:

Yeah, the gladstones were fun. I remember being a freshman in highschool or so and walking down to the 7-11 to buy some spider-man comics & seeing some of the early gladstones. I at first was compelled to look at them, but hten thought they were kids stuff & put them back. The following day I sheepishly went back & got a Scrooge Adventures & a donald duck & was hooked. I really don't like the current run so much because the art is too digitized looking, but I pick them up occasionally.

nice '62 WDCS in 9.4 btw...

The following day I sheepishly went back & got a Scrooge Adventures & a donald duck & was hooked.

lol

:headbang:

Amazing. Thanks Scrooge. Can anyone recommend a good read on Barks' history?

You could either check out The Comics Journal # 227 that was Carl Barks' Tribute issue or check this book of conversations out of the library -

51AMY3EJYML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

If I recall the interviews become a little repetitive after the first few but it's worth while to read them. Most of the info in those conversations is distilled in the article(s) in the Comics Journal Tribute.

Just the type of funny and self-effacing letter I would have expected him to write.

Thanks again. I'll never forgive myself for missing the opportunity to meet him and see a big art retrospective put on at the Diamond Con in '93. Who needs funny animal books when you can surf the exhibitor's floor?

Thanks again. I'll never forgive myself for missing the opportunity to meet him and see a big art retrospective put on at the Diamond Con in '93. Who needs funny animal books when you can surf the exhibitor's floor?

Yeah, those are the missed opportunities ... I was able to direct a thank-you letter to Barks through a caretaker when his health declined via the Inducks mailing list. Barks died within 3 weeks of my sending the letter. I hope my letter and the others directed his way helped ease his last days. :(